collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Heroes & Villains Fanzines by wittonwarrior
[Today at 05:51:16 AM]

Re: Heroes & Villains Fanzines by wittonwarrior
[Today at 05:50:39 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by OzVilla
[Today at 05:41:06 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:26:06 AM]

Re: Ron Saunders RIP by purpletrousers
[Today at 12:23:53 AM]

Re: Reserves, Academy and Women 2019-20 by PeterWithesShin
[December 09, 2019, 11:58:12 PM]

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed) by Legion
[December 09, 2019, 11:15:00 PM]

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed) by SoccerHQ
[December 09, 2019, 11:11:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 98074 times)

Offline darren woolley

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #645 on: August 19, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »
I think he will come good I like him I think once he get's that first important goal he will take off and score more same as the rest of the team they are gelling together.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #646 on: August 19, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
We need to get our midfielders around him and beyond him. McGinn and Grealish backed up the play well at times at the weekend but we need a lot more of that as Wes will draw defenders. Hourihane coming back in will help too. Wes doesn't really seem a threat from crosses thus far

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #647 on: August 19, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
The crosses haven't been great yet. Bringing in Targett for Taylor could help with that. Elmo is capable of putting in some good crosses, not sure Taylor is.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #648 on: August 19, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
Taylor isn't capable of putting in decent crosses, I can't remember seeing him attempt more than one per game.  Defensively he's been sound in the first two games, but I want to see if Targett offers anything extra going forward.  All Taylor attempts to do is play a safe pass, quite often to a player behind him, which then halts all forward momentum.

Offline OCD

« Reply #649 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »
El Ghazi doesn't track back so I can see why we play Taylor there when AEG is playing. So to bring Targett in, AEG may need to be dropped. Otherwise there's the risk of being exposed to counters.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #650 on: August 19, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
That's what happens when you have no movement in front of you. I shared Taylor's frustration. If we don't sort that out it will make no difference who plays at left back.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2020
« Reply #651 on: August 19, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »
I would play Targett behind Trez. Jota in front of Freddie. Jota isn’t a winger but can open up space for Freddie to overlap. I don’t want to see our starting options as Taylor and Elmo. They’ve been ok but doing ok simply isn’t good enough at PL level.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #652 on: August 19, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
They were dodgy in the championship, there's no way those two should be starters in the top flight.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #653 on: August 19, 2019, 03:29:03 PM »
El Ghazi doesn't track back so I can see why we play Taylor there when AEG is playing. So to bring Targett in, AEG may need to be dropped. Otherwise there's the risk of being exposed to counters.

AEG has to be dropped. He looks way, way out out of his depth. Apart from winning a corner and pass every ball back to Taylor every time he received it, he did nothing again on Saturday. If Targett does play, I hope he's been working on his crossing, something Saints fans claimed was his main strength. Pre-season they were poor but hopefully Dean can sort him out.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #654 on: August 19, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
I've just posted this on the match thread for Friday:
-----------------Heaton
Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Targett
-------------Luiz, Hourihane
---- Trez, Grealish, McGinn
----------------Wes

I think this gives us a tighter set-up and supports Wes better. The critical bit is that the fullbacks will need to be a source of crosses into the danger areas.

Offline OCD

« Reply #655 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
I would probably go with that but swap Grealish and McGinn over.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #656 on: August 20, 2019, 10:42:33 AM »

AEG has to be dropped. He looks way, way out out of his depth. Apart from winning a corner and pass every ball back to Taylor every time he received it, he did nothing again on Saturday. If Targett does play, I hope he's been working on his crossing, something Saints fans claimed was his main strength. Pre-season they were poor but hopefully Dean can sort him out.

Yes, he's been poor so far. 

Online thick_mike

• GM : 14.02.2020
« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
Noticed when Jota came on on Saturday that he immediately saw one of Wesley’s runs and played a smart forward pass along the ground to him running into the box. I think when we start playing as a unit we will see more of that.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 13.04.2020
« Reply #658 on: August 20, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »
Noticed when Jota came on on Saturday that he immediately saw one of Wesley’s runs and played a smart forward pass along the ground to him running into the box. I think when we start playing as a unit we will see more of that.
Yep clocked that too, had just been saying to my Dad they'd linked well preseason and quickly they started to show something different.
It's fascinating with big Wes, frankly no one knows how it'll work out, how much he'll adapt/grow if he needs to, presumably including him.
We do know his past clubs(?) said he needed to be loved, so if we are going to give him a chance to produce there needs to be patience (not turning on him too quick).
Re: whoever said he's in the wrong sport, disagree, confidence/being loved is so relevant to so many players.
It will indeed be interesting to see how things progress once he gets the monkey off his back and some better link up/support.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #659 on: August 20, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »

Yes, he's been poor so far. 

Before our winning run last year, my major beef with AEG was that he was not working hard enough, never tracking back or helping out his full back and not putting in the effort to get into a position to influence the game. In short, I think he looked lazy at times.

During the positive run, he upped his game considerably, starting working hard, and consequently looked better. Significantly so.

The two matches thus far, he is again looking like he's lost that extra effort. It's a much tougher league, he needs to work harder, not less.