collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by Ads
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by kieron
[Today at 07:21:31 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by ROBBO
[Today at 07:12:45 AM]

Re: Tom Fox announced as new Villa CEO by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 01:36:26 AM]

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:52:09 AM]

Re: Tom Fox announced as new Villa CEO by eamonn
[Today at 12:51:16 AM]

Re: Chelsea Away by Brassneck
[Today at 12:17:31 AM]

Re: Chelsea Away by QuintonVilla
[November 18, 2019, 11:26:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 82705 times)

Offline Ian J

• GM : 10.09.2020
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1005 on: October 20, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
Itís all very criticising big Wes, but most of the team was off form yesterday. So far he has done ok for us which for a young lad in a new league ainít too bad a start to his Villa career.
Another signing probably would have helped with competition and also to give us something different but by the sounds of we tried but wasnít going to be stitched up.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1006 on: October 20, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
The only negative thing I would add is when it's not going his way he loses focus entirely

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1007 on: October 20, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »
I am not a fan, not quite in the Footy negative fetish camp but his  poor movement and showing for the ball together with his lack of ability in the air is concerning.
He does have some nice touches and has shown finishing ability, maybe he will improve but he is at the moment a weak link.
I do think Davis should get more of a chance.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1008 on: October 20, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
The only negative thing I would add is when it's not going his way he loses focus entirely

I think thatís a fair criticism

It shows in his body language too.

Offline devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #1009 on: October 20, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »
No idea why he got cramp in the 70th minute yesterday. Could it because he knew he was having a crap game?

He seems to be a very limited striker and I'm a bit concerned about him. He can't hold the ball up and can't head it. I think there are signs that his positional sense is improving - he made runs to the near post in anticipation of crosses coming to that area yesterday but overall, I don't think he's good enough.

Compare him to Davies when he came on. He showed far more threat than Wesley did in the whole time he was on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #1010 on: October 20, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »
No idea why he got cramp in the 70th minute yesterday. Could it because he knew he was having a crap game?

He seems to be a very limited striker and I'm a bit concerned about him. He can't hold the ball up and can't head it. I think there are signs that his positional sense is improving - he made runs to the near post in anticipation of crosses coming to that area yesterday but overall, I don't think he's good enough.

Compare him to Davies when he came on. He showed far more threat than Wesley did in the whole time he was on.

And yet Wesley has got more goals in nine games than Davis has in 40.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1011 on: October 20, 2019, 04:05:16 PM »
Will there come a time where Wesley has a poor game and it's "just one of those things" instead of being a sign that he: has a bad attitude/isn't good enough/won't make it/isn't as good as Davis/isn't as good as Maupay/or whatever the latest criticism is? He's 22, has played 9 games in the league, and has 4 goals, yes he's got issues with his game but if he's scoring a few goals and making a nuisance of himself (for example in the build up to the Hourihane goal that should never have been disallowed) he's earning the right to game time.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #1012 on: October 20, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
He's was our big striker signing and with the lack of alternatives we've kind of bet the farm on him coming good, so it's pretty understandable his performances will come under scrutiny.

I remain unconvinced, but still hopeful he'll come good in time.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1013 on: October 20, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »

Poor Keinan gets hit with that stat a lot. How many of those did he start?
He did more in his time yesterday than Wesley did all game. I'm not saying he's a better player but Keinan does deserve a start. Given Man City is a near write-off, Davies will work harder off the ball up there than Wes would. Or at least give him a start in the Wolves Coca Cola game the midweek after.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1014 on: October 20, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
2 goals in 17 league starts and 22 sub appearances in division 2, plus another 5 sub appearances this season in the league.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 31.12.2019
« Reply #1015 on: October 20, 2019, 05:24:25 PM »

He did more in his time yesterday than Wesley did all game. I'm not saying he's a better player but Keinan does deserve a start. Given Man City is a near write-off, Davies will work harder off the ball up there than Wes would. Or at least give him a start in the Wolves Coca Cola game the midweek after.

No, he didn't. Wesley played an integral part in our first, created the acre of space that Hourihane and El Ghazi failed to successfully exploit, and got into positions for chances where he really should have done better himself. What did Davies do? Ran around a bit, and was generally as ineffective at holding the ball up as the man he replaced.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #1016 on: October 20, 2019, 05:30:04 PM »
Wesley isnít great but Davis is no better.

Hopefully bringing in another striker in the transfer window is being worked on as a priority. Preferably a signing as soon as the window opens.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #1017 on: October 20, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »
Itís all very criticising big Wes, but most of the team was off form yesterday. So far he has done ok for us which for a young lad in a new league ainít too bad a start to his Villa career.
Another signing probably would have helped with competition and also to give us something different but by the sounds of we tried but wasnít going to be stitched up.

Im aware Wes is young and has had a reasonable enough start scoring wise for us.

However, I really dont see it at all with him. He is so limited in nearly every facet of his play, a taller Scott Hogan on the evidence of his performances to date with a worse attitude. Most of the games I have seen this season, we have effectively been playing with 10 men with him, exceptions being Everton where he was excellent and Norwich. The comparison between him and Maupay at the weekend was night and day lets be honest. I dread to think how Wes would react to playing up front if we had 10 men for a game.

Hopefully it will click with him but after 2 goals against Norwich you would think his confidence would be flying for Brighton. Instead he was as bad as ever. Davis for me holds up the ball a lot better and deserves more minutes on the pitch.

Offline Ian J

• GM : 10.09.2020
« Reply #1018 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:34 PM »

Im aware Wes is young and has had a reasonable enough start scoring wise for us.

However, I really dont see it at all with him. He is so limited in nearly every facet of his play, a taller Scott Hogan on the evidence of his performances to date with a worse attitude. Most of the games I have seen this season, we have effectively been playing with 10 men with him, exceptions being Everton where he was excellent and Norwich. The comparison between him and Maupay at the weekend was night and day lets be honest. I dread to think how Wes would react to playing up front if we had 10 men for a game.

Hopefully it will click with him but after 2 goals against Norwich you would think his confidence would be flying for Brighton. Instead he was as bad as ever. Davis for me holds up the ball a lot better and deserves more minutes on the pitch.
However heís put the ball in the net when had to and set up a couple. Russo summer it up, actually the stats summed it up even better.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.03.2020
« Reply #1019 on: October 21, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »

No, he didn't. Wesley played an integral part in our first, created the acre of space that Hourihane and El Ghazi failed to successfully exploit, and got into positions for chances where he really should have done better himself. What did Davies do? Ran around a bit, and was generally as ineffective at holding the ball up as the man he replaced.
Agreed - tried to see what Davies did better - he had one turn-shot - but beside that nothing more than Wes. And yes, there is a level of bashing - and since he is apparently a player who does better with support, maybe not such a great plan. (yes they do read social media)