collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lionel Martin  (Read 2968 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Lionel Martin
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »
A good watch, thanks for posting.  Lionel was a player that used to frustrate the hell out of me and my mates.  He was frustrating insofar as he would find himself in positions where a simple pass to a teammate woul see either the chance of scoring or an actual goal.

Lionel often didn't take that opportunity choosing to try and beat one more opponent consequently losing possession.  Lionel had great skill and, on form was a joy to watch.  He could, imo have gone further in the game than he did but for that one vital flaw.

He scored one of the best goals I have ever seen during the League Cup run in 70/71.  I can't remember if it was Burnley or Carlisle but he received the ball just outside the penalty area with his back to goal and he shrugged those big shoulders he has first one way then the other, and then turned and hit it.  From where we were standing behind the goal down the Witton End, the ball looked to be sailing over the crossbar by some distance and we were all moaning but the next thing we knew it was lying in the back of the net, simply a superb bit of skill.

Lionel had all that in his locker and more.  Sadly in one way, I don't think he realised just how good he could have been.  Maybe he was just a little bit before his time and without stating the obvious, would have realised more of his potential with more advanced coaching.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »
What a great find this is.Thanks for posting it. I only remember seeing him play a few times. I remember him more for his ability as a service receptionist at Thomas Startins in Erdington. 

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
That was interesting.  Quite poignant, in a way.

In the context of the film (which was mainly about the risks and insecurity of trying to make a career out of football), I'm not sure whether Lionel Martin was successful or not.  Probably he was.

His record for Villa was played 44, plus 14 as sub, and scored 9 goals, over a 9 year period from signing as a schoolboy.

He certainly had talent, I clearly recall his goal v Burnley mentioned in another post, a chip from the corner of the 18 yard box.  Also I think he may have scored the winner in the FA Cup tie v Southampton, in front of a crowd of 59,000.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 04:38:57 PM »
A fascinating clip. Also first time I have ever heard Dick Taylor being interviewed, he was manager when I first started going in 1966.
Lionel scored the winner against Southampton in that epic 4th Round replay in 1969.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 06:51:13 AM »
IIRC this did the rounds a few years ago. For those of us of a certain age we remember Lionel Martin as a bit of an enigma. He had wonderful close control and could beat a player on the byline with ease and he didn’t seem to score ordinary goals. He would be possibly be described as a ‘luxury’ player in those days and in all likelihood his rare and very individual talent was probably coached out of him. I believe he had a long career in semi professional football predominantly with Worcester City.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
What a great find this is.Thanks for posting it. I only remember seeing him play a few times. I remember him more for his ability as a service receptionist at Thomas Startins in Erdington. 

Never saw him play but I used to wash the cars there on a Saturday morning as a kid before heading off to Villa Park. Lionel was a real gent, quiet and polite, never even mentioning he once played for the Villa. When I found out he just smiled. Extremely modest. If you're reading this, Lionel, 'Sid' says hello.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
We did this one awhile back and certainly those of us of a certain age will remember him with fondness for scoring that goal in front of the Holte to beat Southampton, and another one (which you can see online in various places) against QPR in the Cup in one of Docherty's first games.
Lionel was a hugely frustrating player with loads of ability who sadly didn't achieve his great potential.
My memory of him is as a really good close dribbler, could hold the ball up well despite his stature (The Doc used him as a target man number 9), and a good finisher when he got a chance, but he had little or no pace and eventually was sold to non league Worcester City after lower league loans, I think with Doncaster and another team that escapes me.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »
I think it was Donny in 70/71. I don't think he went anywhere in 71/72. He helped to mentor Brian Little in the reserves that season.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 09:04:46 PM »
We did this one awhile back and certainly those of us of a certain age will remember him with fondness for scoring that goal in front of the Holte to beat Southampton, and another one (which you can see online in various places) against QPR in the Cup in one of Docherty's first games.

Offline bob rowe

• Benito's Headband
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »
Great at dribbling in confined spaces, ran rings round Spurs defence in a League cup tie at V P.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 12:26:28 AM »
Yes, Bob.

We outplayed them for large parts of the game -and lost 4-1!!

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »
Yes, Bob.

We outplayed them for large parts of the game -and lost 4-1!!

Remember that game, one of my first. Lionel scored that night too but Chivers got a hat trick, I remember one from a terrible back-pass...who was it? Can't remember.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
Hi Oscar.

The bad back-pass was from the worthy Fred Turnbull.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal