collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What does being back in the PL mean to you?  (Read 23859 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: What does being back in the PL mean to you?
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »
What it's meant to me is one of a father/son persuasion.

I took my two boys for the first time to Villa Park when they were 6 and 4 respectively. My youngest has tailed off, couldn't really give a shit about football, but my eldest has turned into a die-hard Villan. He's about to turn 16.

He can recite the score of any Villa fixture, the scorers (and also around 90% of the time will even get the minute of the goal(s) scored in those matches) for the past 4 seasons. Give him any fixture, he'll tell you the result within seconds.

He had his first season ticket in our relegation season (what a great dad I turned out to be there... but all Ben has known is Villa's abject performance for year upon year whilst seeing other teams thrive (ala Leicester), He's never had anything to shout and cheer about and never sang and joined in with any Villa song, ever.

For him to witness the joy of last Monday in person at Wembley, the players' celebrations at the final whistle, the lifting of silverware at the home of football (especially after he watched Norwich celebrate at Villa Park) and hear the shear noise and happiness of the fans was simply outstanding.

But the thing I took the most pleasure from, was when I heard him joining in with all of the singing when we clinched our return. That meant more to me than the millions the Club will receive by way of our promotion.

Beautiful.

Seconded. What a lovely post, mate.

I meant to respond to this at the time and forgot. Absolutely lovely post and made me think of my son who’s about to turn 21 and the similar journey he had had with his Villa support over the last 15 years. We had a great day at Wembley together and I saw him singing for the first time.

I seem to have something in my eye.

Offline exigo

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »
Looking at the fixture list and not having to work out how to get to Rotherham away on a Wednesday.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2019, 11:24:16 AM »
Looking at the fixture list and not having to work out how to get to Rotherham away on a Wednesday.

That reminds me of the old Ron Atkinson quip. How do you get to Coventry?

Go nine games without a win at The Villa.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »
Much prefer the league we were in, however we are in the land of loads of money......

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
When you look back 12 months we have had one hello of a journey. 12 months ago it looked like we might have to sell an decent asset we had but the vultures hoping to pick our bones couldn't even find anyone at the club to negotiate with as we were in such a mess. I am under no illusion that the coming season will be testing but at least we will be tested by some of the best club sides in the world. Bring it on and we can show that The Villa are going to be a pain in the arse for many clubs. Fuck the fuckers. Then fuck the other fuckers. Then fuck everyone.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »
So bearing in mind that miracle of the last 12months, what being back has to mean to all of us is keeping the faith in Deano when the going gets tough.
I have a strong memory of being impressed by the Baggies when they came up but were rubbish and were boinging between divisions for a while.  As much as they were poor their supporters supported loudly throughout - yes it’s easier to do that away -  but I felt there was something very noble, loyal about that, that we don’t always see.
It’s thankfully our best chance to stay loyal with manager and captain as one of us; I liked the bit in the TIFO podcast where it talks about how unique it is to have such love for a local lad who is the star, and had such unique qualities. We’ve struggled for years for this sort of player and we have our own gem. It’s still sinking in how close we were to a different trajectory.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »

I have a strong memory of being impressed by the Baggies when they came up but were rubbish and were boinging between divisions for a while.  As much as they were poor their supporters supported loudly throughout - yes it’s easier to do that away -  but I felt there was something very noble, loyal about that, that we don’t always see.

Final written warning.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2019, 01:32:23 PM »
Supporting loudly in a match a couple of miles from your home ground in a local derby is hardly a big deal. I'd be more impressed if they filled an away end more than a couple of times a season.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »
I resisted outing myself on a Facebook thread earlier as obviously not being a proper Villa fan if I decline to fervently hate our rivals- though I don’t have x thousand posts on their discussion boards btw ;)

I agree it was an away section and we have often done the same, so fair point it wasn’t that big a deal.

Yet it stuck in my memory for a reason: I think there is a bigger symbolic debate here around the balance of *supporting* and moaning/griping,  It’s been done many times I guess and I wasn’t meaning to open it up as a debate, yet...

Beyond the points when a crowd turns to literally eject a manager who is a dead man walking: for me during 90mins it’s about supporting the team, encouraging them to do well and helping them to do so, rather than influencing things in a way more likely to have negative outcome.

I hope we do comfortably well enough, but there will be new players to bed in and teams that for years were streets ahead of us and have developed since. So it just comes to mind as we’ll have some painful match days no doubt. I’m hopeful there will be plenty of patience.

I am so excited, and still hoping the band get back together to include Tyrone, something talismanic about him it felt.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
I've just been transferring next season's fixtures onto my phone calender, and realising what a difference having 8 fewer league games makes to the season. All this blank space: I won't know what to do with it!

I'll end up keeping tabs on the Championship and the (mis)fortunes of Blues & Albion, I suspect!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
Enjoy it while you can mate, midweeks will be full again once we are in the Champions League.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »
Enjoy it while you can mate, midweeks will be full again once we are in the Champions League.

So long as we remember to respect the 'Champions League Anthem' and don't get fined for not doing so. ;)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2019, 04:15:08 PM »

Boinging between the divisions represents success for that lot. Maybe that's something to do with it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2019, 08:14:33 AM »
Whilst looking for something else I have just stumbled across the relegation odds.

Sheffield United 4/6
Norwich 10/11
Burnley/Brighton 7/4
Villa 2/1
Southampton 9/2
Bournemouth 11/2

Which means the bookies would have us finishing 16th in the table.

Offline exigo

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2019, 01:07:24 PM »
Little things #73. Seeing that the draw for the first round of the Caribao Cup is this week, and knowing we won't deign it with our presence until later.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal