collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What does being back in the PL mean to you?  (Read 23905 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: What does being back in the PL mean to you?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 07:03:14 AM »
Well it is great for fans (first and foremost), the city and the wider region for starters profile and economically.

Yeah and hope my new boy who was 2 weeks old when we beat Derby has to deal with much less dross than we have put up with in recent years.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
Being back where we belong, and feeding at the top table.

As much as we (pretend to) love it, The Championship is irrelevant to anyone outside of it. Being the biggest tiddler in a small pool is really no place for a club like Villa.

Online Nii Lamptey

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »
Last chance saloon for me. The gap is widening between the Premier League and Championship, and with FFP we'd have probably had to go through a summer of asset stripping, regardless of our owners' wealth.

Getting promotion nipped that in the bud, and now we can slowly but steadily get this magnificent club back on track and competing where it should be.

Good responsible RICH owners, a cracking manager, a team spirit which hasn't been seen for years, and the bond between club, players and fans has been restored.

Onwards and upwards!  :)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »
An opportunity to finally realise our potential on a consistent basis.  We're the biggest club in the second largest city in Britain with a population of many millions within 30 miles of the stadium, with only Wolves as a local PL rival. 

Apart from the odd couple of seasons we've very much failed to punch our weight on a regular basis, due to a combination owners, managers and chief execs who were either inept, deluded, lacking in ambition or a combination of all three.  It appears that we finally have all the ingredients in place to give us some consistent clout.  Genuinely wealthy owners who also seem to have more than a few brain cells and business acumen between them,  a Chief Exec who seems to know what is required and is not afraid to get on with it, and a coach who seems to know how to coach.   

With newly positive momentum, apparently competent people in charge  and a re-engaged fan base I'm hoping it's good times ahead.         

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »
My earliest memory of supporting Villa was when we won the League Cup in 1977 when I was six. I went to my first game as an eight year old in 1979 and then went to all home games from 1981 onwards when I was eleven. Until these last three years the only season I had known Villa not being in the to flight was 1987-1988. Which happened to be one of my favourite seasons as I had just left school and was earning YTS money which allowed me to go home and away most weeks. After being a season ticket holder with my son during the McLeish/Lambert/Sherwood/Garde days I enjoyed the fact that in the Championship I always felt we had a good chance of winning any given game. I tried kidding myself that not going up this season wouldn't be the end of the world but the way I felt when we won the final gave away my true feelings. We are back where we belong but we now have to prove we belong there.

Offline ez

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
I need to swat up on the premier league. I've ignored it almost completely for 3 seasons.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
It means normality is restored. You earn your seat and you deserve your demise, but we've spent 100 odd years at the top table, more than anybody bar Everton.

This is where we belong.

The difference this time is genuine optimism that we will try and compete. We went into decline badly post-Houlier, when clinging on for dear life was the only aim.

Now I feel we have an ambitious manager who wants to play good, attacking football and seemingly wants to coach and develop players. We have some joined up thinking with regards to recruitment and scouting. And critically we have wealthy and ambitious owners.

None of it is a guarantee and we may fall short, but the impression I have is that we're not just back to hunt for autographs, we're back to hunt for scalps.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »
I need to swat up on the premier league. I've ignored it almost completely for 3 seasons.

I'm the same. I've surprised myself with how accepting I am of my not knowing who England players are nor for whom they play. And if the current Arsenal or Chelsea managers knocked my front door right know, I'd genuinely not know who they are.

I do not wish to turn into my dad.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »
Looking forward to renewing hostilities with Sunderland and can't wait to go to White Hart Lane. Hopefully we will be able to stop Rooney and give Man U a bloody nose and maybe piss Wenger off by beating Arsenal.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »
Normal service has been resumed, that's all.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
Looking at the table and there's not much there to get the blood pumping these days.

Bournemouth
Brighton
Burnley
Palace
Leicester
Southampton
Watford

How we managed to get relegated from a league that now contains this set of shithouses is the real killer.

My London away picks for this season: Arsenal and Chelsea.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
It means normality is restored. You earn your seat and you deserve your demise, but we've spent 100 odd years at the top table, more than anybody bar Everton.

This is where we belong.

The difference this time is genuine optimism that we will try and compete. We went into decline badly post-Houlier, when clinging on for dear life was the only aim.

Now I feel we have an ambitious manager who wants to play good, attacking football and seemingly wants to coach and develop players. We have some joined up thinking with regards to recruitment and scouting. And critically we have wealthy and ambitious owners.

None of it is a guarantee and we may fall short, but the impression I have is that we're not just back to hunt for autographs, we're back to hunt for scalps.
I think this is the important thing, if we were just going back just to survive then it would have a lot less meaning.
What is more important is what is happening to the Club,  getting back to the PL is just hopefully  the beginning.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »
Anyone else been to the ground to have their picture taken with the trophy? Might be small time to some, but I wanted to have that moment.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2019, 03:38:06 PM »
Pride
Prestige
Passion
Promise

The last two times we went up we had a tricky first season (1975 under Ron and 1988 under SGT) and then really took off. No reason to believe we can't thrive again with the new owners, management team and Jack as captain. The elation when we left Wembley was palpable.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »
The 2nd division hasn't all been bad as a fan, but I can only say that now we're leaving the bugger.  Like others have said, we're back to where we belong with players and a manager we like a lot and with owners who are mega wealthy.  This should be a springboard to fun times and if we get it right, historic ones.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal