Heroes & Villains > Villa Memories

Royal Antwerp 4-1 Aston Villa - September 17th 1975

(1/3) > >>

Villafirst:
I went to our first game in Europe all those years ago as a young teenager. The first 27 minutes Villa were doing well, then we were blitzed by 4 goals in the space of 14 minutes! 4-0 down at Half-time with the tie effectively over. Ray Graydon scored with an angled drive in the Second half as a consolation. A chap called Karl Kodat was our nemesis in that First half with a hat-trick.
All the Villa fans there were stunned that night. We lost the 2nd leg 0-1 with Kodat scoring again. Nonetheless a great experience for us fans who attended our first foray into Europe.
Anyone else on here who went?

West Derby Villan:
Yeah I went, my overriding memory of the match was when we all screamed at Jim Cumbes to get back on his line when they had a free kick.....he didn't....they scored. After the match we met up with other Villa fans in a bar, where the locals bought us drinks all night. Finally I went walkabout to clear my head and stumbled into another bar which was being used by all the players. Absolute dream come true drinking and singing with Giddy!

Villafirst:
Yes, I remember that positional error by Cumbes! We could all forsee the inevitable!

Pat McMahon:
Didn't Louis Van Gaal play for Antwerp that night?

I have a vague recollection of the police or ferry company sending a letter to the Villa after the game complimenting the club on the behaviour of the 1500 or so fans that went over - this at a time when English fans often played up in Europe

Villafirst:

--- Quote from: Pat McMahon on June 05, 2019, 06:06:39 PM ---Didn't Louis Van Gaal play for Antwerp that night?

I have a vague recollection of the police or ferry company sending a letter to the Villa after the game complimenting the club on the behaviour of the 1500 or so fans that went over - this at a time when English fans often played up in Europe

--- End quote ---

Yes, you're correct Van Gaal lined up for them that night.
I still have the match programme somewhere in my loft -  I think this is quite rare and sought after?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version