collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season Tickets 2019/20  (Read 169541 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Season Tickets 2019/20
« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
Yes exactly, people saying that it's pointless only adding a couple of thousand to the North Stand - with proper leg room and corporate boxes, 2000 would be a realistic upgrade. To get to the golden figure of 52,000 capacity that gets bandied about, that 10k increase on current capacity would surely have to be absorbed by all four sides, how the hell could you do it just at one end which isn't even the "hardcore" area for home support.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #376 on: June 23, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »
It's alright to say stick an extra eight/ten thousand seats in and they'll be filled, but apart from the obvious how? (because we're still looking at a thirty per cent rise in gates at least to prevent the project from looking daft) there's also the question of where they're going to go.

You're not going to be able to double the capacity of the North Stand because there isn't that much room there - in fact, a new stand even holding the same number as now would take up a lot more space than the present one because we'd have to allow a lot more legroom and corporate facilities. Then there's the additional parking that would be needed. It all adds up to much more than build it and (hope) they'll come.

I thought we already had planning permission to develop/replace the North Stand and its disgracefully renamed neighbour going back to when Ellis was in charge. So that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I believe it ran out and was subject to improving the traffic problems.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #377 on: June 23, 2019, 10:24:12 PM »
But even so, it suggests there is no reason why we can't increase capacity in that space. And transport probably has improved, to an extent. We have more fans arriving by coach, for instance, which lessens impact to residents. Still plenty more to do there, admittedly. But if the council can grant permission for a 15,000 capacity stadium to be expanded to 40,000 then a 25% capacity boost for a stadium not far away shouldn't be catastrophic.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #378 on: June 23, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
It's not about not thinking too big, it's about not getting ahead of ourselves. I'd love us to think bloody massive, starting with the football. Chuck shedloads of money at that first, make progress on the field, that's the biggest single thing that'll bring the crowds in. Everything follows from there. There's nothing Doug Ellis about that whatsoever.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #379 on: June 23, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
But even so, it suggests there is no reason why we can't increase capacity in that space. And transport probably has improved, to an extent. We have more fans arriving by coach, for instance, which lessens impact to residents. Still plenty more to do there, admittedly. But if the council can grant permission for a 15,000 capacity stadium to be expanded to 40,000 then a 25% capacity boost for a stadium not far away shouldn't be catastrophic.

There's a lot more available land there than we've got for a start, and a few weeks of disruption for the Commonwealth Games is a lot different to once a fortnight.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #380 on: June 23, 2019, 10:32:45 PM »
Pretty sure the North holds just over 7k, it shouldn't be too difficult to build a new stand there that could hold say 13k (same as the Holte but with boxes and corporate included in that capacity) taking us to approx 48k. And if we're still selling out then look at Witton Lane if a further increase is needed, which will probably take a long time to sort anyway with the road and houses.

I just don't see the point in spending a shitload load of money to add just a couple of K, and then find it's still not enough. Either do the North properly or leave it as it is (capacity wise).

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2019, 10:34:27 PM »
It's not about not thinking too big, it's about not getting ahead of ourselves. I'd love us to think bloody massive, starting with the football. Chuck shedloads of money at that first, make progress on the field, that's the biggest single thing that'll bring the crowds in. Everything follows from there. There's nothing Doug Ellis about that whatsoever.

The crowds are being brought in with record ST sales, and it will be the best part of at least a year before it happens so the club has the opportunity to asses demand etc.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
Pretty sure the North holds just over 7k, it shouldn't be too difficult to build a new stand there that could hold say 13k (same as the Holte but with boxes and corporate included in that capacity) taking us to approx 48k. And if we're still selling out then look at Witton Lane if a further increase is needed, which will probably take a long time to sort anyway with the road and houses.

I just don't see the point in spending a shitload load of money to add just a couple of K, and then find it's still not enough. Either do the North properly or leave it as it is (capacity wise).

Good luck in almost doubling capacity with the land we have available, bearing in mind that you'll need more car parking and room for improved shop facilities.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #383 on: June 23, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
If we have thirty thousand season ticket holders it's not unreasonable to think that we can get 40,000. We've increase it by about ten thousand in hardly any time despite doing sod all, really. Our board have experience running a succesful team and know how marketing works. I think we should probably allow an extra thousand or so away fans to attend games, too. You'd be talking a minimum of 45,000 people turning up and at least eight or nine 50,000 attendances on that basis.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #384 on: June 23, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »

Good luck in almost doubling capacity with the land we have available, bearing in mind that you'll need more car parking and room for improved shop facilities.

Depends if we're ambitious and want to see solutions and reasons to do things or we're happy to stay as a corner shop and see problems and reasons to not bother as it's too difficult to be a big club. As i've said, they've at least the best part of a year to asses demand, logistics and so on.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #385 on: June 23, 2019, 10:59:02 PM »
Why would you compare us to utter irrelevances like Walsall or Coventry as a reason not to increase capacity?

And we're not going to be averaging mid-30s. We'll be selling out, every week.

Strike while the iron is hot. Dont add 3,000 seats, add 10,000. Grow every facet and act like the big club we self evidently are, but seldom perform as.

They're as valid as comparing us with Arsenal. The same things that are being said now were being said last time we got a 40k average, and look what happened after that. Let's see if we can fill what we've got first, before getting above ourselves.

How about West Ham Dave?  They now average way more than we do and I think they have a waiting list for season tickets.

Football is booming.  We somehow have to find a way to increase our gates just as others have done.

West Ham are in London, playing in one of the world's most iconic stadiums. Ask their supporters what they think of it.

Well it was iconic, until they converted it into a fooyball ground.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #386 on: June 23, 2019, 11:04:05 PM »
West Ham do, or at least did, have about 10k U16 season tickets holders (£99 a ST) and also gave away tens of thousands tickets each season.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #387 on: June 23, 2019, 11:07:58 PM »

The crowds are being brought in with record ST sales, and it will be the best part of at least a year before it happens so the club has the opportunity to asses demand etc.

That's great, I'm not in the market for a season ticket so didn't know they were in record demand. Hopefully this is the start of something big then, on and off the field.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #388 on: June 23, 2019, 11:54:32 PM »
Why would you compare us to utter irrelevances like Walsall or Coventry as a reason not to increase capacity?

And we're not going to be averaging mid-30s. We'll be selling out, every week.

Strike while the iron is hot. Dont add 3,000 seats, add 10,000. Grow every facet and act like the big club we self evidently are, but seldom perform as.

They're as valid as comparing us with Arsenal. The same things that are being said now were being said last time we got a 40k average, and look what happened after that. Let's see if we can fill what we've got first, before getting above ourselves.

How about West Ham Dave?  They now average way more than we do and I think they have a waiting list for season tickets.

Football is booming.  We somehow have to find a way to increase our gates just as others have done.

West Ham are in London, playing in one of the world's most iconic stadiums. Ask their supporters what they think of it.

I agree.  However, that isn't the point.  We aren't going to move into a soulless stadium.  If West Ham managed to find another 20,000 regulars, why can't we find 10,000?

Birmingham is also developing with apartments, bars and restaurants opening up regularly.  There is no reason why we can't be as adventurous.   

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2019, 09:35:33 AM »
There is no hurry, after a year or 2 in the PL should enable them to understand the potential or lack of.
I also think that they would need to involve the Council early to start discussions around improved access transport parking etc.
I have allways thought that the North Stand ruins the look of VP and would love to see it demolished.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:13:40 AM by ChicagoLion »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal