collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 112436 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #480 on: August 31, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »
If we set up every game as we have so far then I think we'll drop. I'm hoping though it's just a short term system and plan while players settle and that we'll soon be on the front foot a lot more.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #481 on: August 31, 2019, 11:30:57 PM »
Nothing drastically changes today for me.

We weren't at the races - but a big part of that was Kevin Fiend setting the tempo.

Taken as a whole, there has been enough promise in three of the four games so far to suggest we can compete in the top flight.  Even with a drastic overhaul in personnel pre season.

I would have loved a Vardy or similar as an insurance bet. Punchable face, but the man pretty much guarantees goals at this level.

Four wins on the board going into the busy December period and we'll be alreet. We have one already, so just three more needed.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #482 on: August 31, 2019, 11:42:03 PM »
Give me 14th and 42 points right now thank you.

It won't be too far from that either way really.

Interestingly table from last season after 4 games was shown elsewhere. Cardiff after 4 games had 2 points yet were 16th. This season after only third game Watford only team not to be on 3 points.

Going to be a very high points total to stay up this year which will pile the pressure on. Brighton could've stayed up on 35 last year, will certainly get you relegated this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #483 on: August 31, 2019, 11:50:51 PM »
I think it needs to be remembered that so far we’ve had zero luck. Deflected goals, opposing players not getting sent off and that abortion of a performance today from Mr Friend.

I still think we’ll be fine and with a bit of luck would be comfy in mid table.

We had luck in the Everton game despite generally playing well. A neutral cynic would suggest Grealish contact with Richarlison balanced out today. Everton score the penalty after ten minutes and we're up against it like Bournemouth. Then the missed Walcott chance which would've turned a brilliant win into a frustrating 1-1.

I still think we'll be o.k aswell although not sure we'll reach glorious heights of mid table. Do think there are three worse teams than us in the league from what I've seen so far.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2019, 12:12:58 AM »
Lots will change. We won’t play like this because we have to trust Smith will get it. Because if not he’ll be out of a job. Our owners/Purslow will have zero desire to go down. So we have to trust that 4 games in it is what it is in terms of the learning curve and we will figure it out.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2019, 12:51:16 AM »
We have a relatively good start in terms of teams we play though. We can’t burn points and hand points over to relegation rivals while we figure it out. That point would’ve been vital today as it stops Palace getting all 3. Same with Bournemouth.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2019, 01:47:31 AM »
We have a relatively good start in terms of teams we play though. We can’t burn points and hand points over to relegation rivals while we figure it out. That point would’ve been vital today as it stops Palace getting all 3. Same with Bournemouth.

People were saying we needed to beat Bournemouth and we beat Everton instead. We'll win the tougher games and make a hames of the easier games. It's what we do.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2019, 03:38:59 AM »
We were more of a threat with ten men than we were with eleven, Wes was isolated before their goal which to me says that we were not playing the attacking style we have seen us play. I hope Dean doesn't start setting us up not to lose.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2019, 09:47:53 AM »

People were saying we needed to beat Bournemouth and we beat Everton instead. We'll win the tougher games and make a hames of the easier games. It's what we do.

Is it?

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #489 on: September 15, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
I'll still take 17th and am still happy we can spend in January if we need to. I hope Watfords new manager doesn't hit the ground running.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
Nice thought but no chance - Norwich were really poor. However theres goals in this team and I'm confident there are 3 worse teams.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »
Still going for 16th.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #492 on: October 07, 2019, 12:27:09 AM »
It's a really odd league this year. Nobody's obviously shit VB (if Watford started putting a few results together it wouldn't surprise me), and even top v. bottom fixtures can be decided on style matchup rather than just sheer quality, with the obvious exception of the team actually top. Good teams will go down, there will be huge overachievers and underachievers, massive surprise results and lots of high quality football up and down the division. I'm just glad we're clearly holding our own in it at the moment, even though it's very hard.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »
I think we'll finish 16th.

Wasn't far off in the end.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #494 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:51 PM »
I went for 16th as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal