collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 02:44:54 PM]

Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:44:21 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:43:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:38:33 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 02:37:57 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Smithy
[Today at 02:37:32 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:37:12 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by john e
[Today at 02:32:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113310 times)

Offline avfc_1874

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #450 on: August 19, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
The last 9/10 months has been a complete clean up & uprooting of poor structure/mismanagement/leadership that has been stinking out the club since the turn of the century (arguably). It’s going to be a bumpy ride this season, but I’ve seen enough to believe we will be fine this season.

The knee jerk reactions will be frequent this season. But it’s just frustration, which is understandable given what has happened to this club in the past.  For once though, I’m quietly confident in the direction that this club is taking.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #451 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »
The last 9/10 months has been a complete clean up & uprooting of poor structure/mismanagement/leadership that has been stinking out the club since the turn of the century (arguably). It’s going to be a bumpy ride this season, but I’ve seen enough to believe we will be fine this season.

The knee jerk reactions will be frequent this season. But it’s just frustration, which is understandable given what has happened to this club in the past.  For once though, I’m quietly confident in the direction that this club is taking.

This post has given me a serious sense of deja vu!

Mind you, it's got to come true one time. Surely?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #452 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:17 PM »
It’s a bit much to say ‘should’ beat. Even arrogance. Bournemouth are a well established PL team, we were never going to just roll them over.

That said all our home games (with exceptions of man city and l-pool) are ‘could’ wins and but for a mad first 10 mins we could have got something out of the game.

More lessons learned. I’d even be happy with a draw against everton on Friday, just to show some progress.

A draw would be a good result on Friday

Not for me. That is negative thinking. I think we need to be winning our home games if we aren't going to struggle this season. You may think we should write off winning home games against the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool but once we start writing off winning home games against the likes of Everton who finished eighth last year then we have to write off home games against Wolves and Leicester who finished either side of Everton last year and then we have to ask ourselves who we would actually back ourselves to beat at home.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #453 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
My position hasn’t changed one bit. We will finish mid table, somewhere around 11th or 12th is my guess. Which would be absolutely fine. We are a team coming together. There are sides who are much more established who have started off the same as us. We have loads of room to improve.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2019, 04:29:02 PM »
It’s a bit much to say ‘should’ beat. Even arrogance. Bournemouth are a well established PL team, we were never going to just roll them over.

That said all our home games (with exceptions of man city and l-pool) are ‘could’ wins and but for a mad first 10 mins we could have got something out of the game.

More lessons learned. I’d even be happy with a draw against everton on Friday, just to show some progress.

A draw would be a good result on Friday

Not for me. That is negative thinking. I think we need to be winning our home games if we aren't going to struggle this season. You may think we should write off winning home games against the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool but once we start writing off winning home games against the likes of Everton who finished eighth last year then we have to write off home games against Wolves and Leicester who finished either side of Everton last year and then we have to ask ourselves who we would actually back ourselves to beat at home.

The bottom half of the division of course (apart from Bournemouth)  ;)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2019, 06:40:07 PM »
I didn’t write off beating everton?

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: Really alistic Expectations
« Reply #456 on: August 20, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
I haven’t written off the Everton game but I think a draw would be a good result. I do think a few people got carried away over the summer. I think we will finish about 15th

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #457 on: August 20, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »
Hopefully Newcastle are nailed for 20th.  I have always thought we'd finish between 15th-19th and with our current striking options I still think this is the case.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #458 on: August 20, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »
11th or 12th no chance and I'd put money on it. I'm thinking 15th to 17th sorry for the pessimism.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #459 on: August 20, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
15-17th

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #460 on: August 20, 2019, 05:16:49 PM »
I think anything up to 11th is possible, but would be happy with 15th.

A point would be a good result and platform on Friday, a win against Crewe and then some confidence ahead of Palace to aim for our first win.

Palace have Man United the weekend away, so I'm hopeful they'll get drubbed.

But we need to cut the naivety and get better delivery onto the park against Everton if we're to avoid defeat.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:18:38 PM by Ads »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #461 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:48 PM »
Hopefully Newcastle are nailed for 20th.  I have always thought we'd finish between 15th-19th and with our current striking options I still think this is the case.

I'm pretty much in agreement.

My thoughts re Newcastle depend on when they decide to replace Bruce and who comes in to steady the ship for them.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #462 on: August 27, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
Ten goals in four matches so far, and nine different goalscorers.

Feels very reassuring to have it so spread out.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #463 on: August 27, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »

I was expecting nothing else. The way we're setup means we'll see goals from all over the place, it's why I don't really understand the people who are worried about the risk of a lack of goals from Wesley and no one to replace him, I honestly don't think his 'job' in this team will be to score 20+ so that's not what we should be demanding, if he gets 10-12 then I'll be very happy.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #464 on: August 27, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »

I was expecting nothing else. The way we're setup means we'll see goals from all over the place, it's why I don't really understand the people who are worried about the risk of a lack of goals from Wesley and no one to replace him, I honestly don't think his 'job' in this team will be to score 20+ so that's not what we should be demanding, if he gets 10-12 then I'll be very happy.

You've answered your own question.  If he's out, who gets the 10-12 he'd have got?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal