collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113462 times)

Offline jwarry

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
They're all going to have to adapt to the metamorphosis of Aston Villa. So FTF!

The right answer! We are not a tinpot club and never have been. We’ve had a dip but we are now back, bigger, bolder, and stronger and the pundits seem to have forgotten who we are. I expect nothing less than top half and I expect us to turn over a few of the so called big 6

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
They're all going to have to adapt to the metamorphosis of Aston Villa. So FTF!

The right answer! We are not a tinpot club and never have been. We’ve had a dip but we are now back, bigger, bolder, and stronger and the pundits seem to have forgotten who we are. I expect nothing less than top half and I expect us to turn over a few of the so called big 6

Damn straight!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:10 PM »
I don't think it's irrelevant, I just think signing, for example, one of the Huddersfield players with 60-70 appearances in the premier league to their name, would probably have been a poor decision. I'm intrigued as to who you think we could have got who was the right age, quality and price, with premier league experience, that we missed out on. I can think of a few players that some wanted who are towards the end of their careers and there's a few questionable free transfers around but I honestly can't think of anyone I'd have really wanted that went elsewhere and would've been a realistic option.
I haven't watched any PL football for three years so I can't name specific players I'm afraid but I was really talking about policy: did we want to sign experienced PL players but couldn't find or afford them, or did we say experience isn't important, or at least not as important as other factors (age, potential, value for money, resale value)?  Looking at our signings you'd have to say it was the latter, a policy decision.  I'm not saying they're not PL class, they'll struggle to adapt, they can't do it on a wet Wednesday night in Burnley, or any of those things, just that it's impossible to say at this stage because many of them have no experience of it.  Some of them - including Dean - are on a steep learning curve and I think it's unreasonable to expect them to brush past some clubs that have been in the PL all the time we've been away, or longer.  They'll be learning on the job without that 60-70 PL games experience to draw on.  Patience is the key this season.

I'm not saying you're wrong but seeing Iwobi go for £40m when we got Trezeguet, at a similar age, for less than £10m suggests that the premium for Premier league experience meant we just couldn't afford to sign the number of players we wanted with that experience unless we were going for questionable free players (Welbeck, Sturridge), older players (Austin) or largely inexperienced options from premier league clubs(Targett, Mings). You can probably add players from relegated teams but how many of them are really worth looking at and how valuable is the experience of being in a team that's just not good enough?

Heaton, in my opinion, was an exception in that hes young enough to have 3-4 years left in him but not been overpriced because of it. I think if we'd have found any 25-28 year olds who didn't have question marks over them and were in the £5-15m we'd have signed them, or been seriously linked, but I just don't think many of those options were there.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »
I think some people / fans are getting a bit carried away. I dont see a top ten finish. In reality more likely to finish 15th, and I would be happy with that. Maybe i am a miserable so and so.

Offline villabear

« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »
She can’t let it go can she? Brady giving her ‘expert view’ on our summer spending. I’ve pasted it as it was from a Twitter link to her Sun column as I didn’t think people would want to go there. (Mods feel free to move to another topic if appropriate)

KARREN BRADY Aston Villa have not learnt from Fulham’s transfer experiment and have gambled in big way, Norwich have been much bolder in approach

SIMPLE logic would inform us promoted Championship clubs should buy at least a few players before their first Premier League games.
Not at Norwich it doesn’t. They’ve used a rolling pin on the pundits who claim to know how to stay up and haven’t spent more than a few coppers on fresh talent.

You might think they have drawn their conclusion from Fulham’s doleful experiment of splashing cash all over Europe in last season’s unsuccessful experiment to remain among the elite.

Aston Villa certainly have not, though.

Rarely does fifth place in anything earn more than £150million but that was Villa’s reward in winning the play-off final.

No doubt the board felt blowing the lot in pre-season was the best possible warranty against relegation.

There must be many reasons why Canaries’ owners Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones have not pulled any plums from the money pie that the Prem is handing to them.

I can name a few. Some clubs find players are looking for more fashionable clubs, no matter how much they are offered.

Then there is the culture shock when you realise averagely competent players are already on £100k a week and want more to join you.

Let’s not forget, either, agents demanding millions for a few phone calls, as well as the selling club demanding quick payment

Last season Norwich were that close-to-extinction bird with the plumage of profit-making in the Championship, probably around £10m.

The new TV deal was not the reason — the title-winner secured £1m for 14 games.

Compare that with about £118m for each club in the highest tier.

Apparently unimpressed with coming riches, Delia has learned from experience spending is not the problem.

Especially at a club of unsteady state between the top two divisions, it’s spending well that is the problem. She’s become an expert parachutist.

By contrast, Villa’s owners have gambled in a big way.

They spent a whooping £140m in the window which puts them in the top ten of biggest transfer spenders in the world this summer.

Obviously the potential of one of football’s fallen aristocracy is far greater in big-city Birmingham than it is among the flat East Anglian landscape. Ground capacity alone is a 15,000 difference.

Much Norwich faith is placed in Daniel Farke, the German head coach, 42, who has the look of a Netflix tough guy and demands football of persuasive speed and precision practically at the point of a Luger.

He says nothing about the lack of high-profile signings and willingly puts his trust in the players he knows and appreciates.

In several ways this is a far bolder approach than Villa’s. But it does risk a Huddersfield-like fate of hanging on ’til you drop and if you look at the odds the bookies certainly think Norwich are certs for relegation.

At Villa a brace of billionaires, chairman Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, turned to Jesus for help.

Jesus Garcia Pitarch is their man on high (director of football) and they appointed a manager far more down to earth, Dean Smith, a Villa fan forever.

He shares the state of lifetime fandom with Chris Wilder, manager of the third promoted side — Sheffield United. Wilder has spent Yorkshire-style. Cannily.

Villa, on the other hand have acquired 12 players, three of whom were already on loan.

Whether this was a case of buying lots of sweets because they could, there must have been big doubts over a lot of positions.

Smith has an excellent reputation but his task of integration in the early stages must be, and still is, enormous.

Remembering and assessing all the new names and faces will be a fascinating game for supporters.

Personally, I wish one of those clubs well.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
The bitterness oozes through, capped off by the last line.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2019, 09:01:16 AM »
I think there may be 2 or 3 changes in starting 11 from today to next sat, so I’ll post answer when we’ve seen a bit more of squad play.
Ultimately though I’d expect at very least, Norwich, Sheff Utd plus one other to be below us

Offline garyellis

« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
We have come a long way in the last 12 months, from despair to dreaming of glory.
I have no idea how this season will unfold we need the new players to gel quickly and we need some of that magic ingredient - luck.
One thing I do know we as supporters will have a role to play getting behind Dean Smith and the team during the lows as well as the highs.
Fortress Villa Park may well be key
UTV

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
You can't help but admire the way the club has gone about their business in the summer. They obviously had a set list of targets and very quietly and professionally completed signing after singing. I was a little worried going into the new season with a relatively inexperienced defence, but the signing of Heaton has put these fears to rest, also the signings of Luiz and Marvellous should really help the defence out and the way we play through midfield will be really exciting.

The only concern is up front, Wesley needs to hit the ground running and stay fit, but with our wide options I think we will be playing with a lot of movement and inter changing of positions and hopefully every one up top can chip in with goals and assists. Realistically I think we can hope for 12 -14th and be safe all season long. Bring on 5.30. UTV

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
She can’t let it go can she? Brady giving her ‘expert view’ on our summer spending. I’ve pasted it as it was from a Twitter link to her Sun column as I didn’t think people would want to go there. (Mods feel free to move to another topic if appropriate)

KARREN BRADY Aston Villa have not learnt from Fulham’s transfer experiment and have gambled in big way, Norwich have been much bolder in approach

SIMPLE logic would inform us promoted Championship clubs should buy at least a few players before their first Premier League games.
Not at Norwich it doesn’t. They’ve used a rolling pin on the pundits who claim to know how to stay up and haven’t spent more than a few coppers on fresh talent.

You might think they have drawn their conclusion from Fulham’s doleful experiment of splashing cash all over Europe in last season’s unsuccessful experiment to remain among the elite.

Aston Villa certainly have not, though.

Rarely does fifth place in anything earn more than £150million but that was Villa’s reward in winning the play-off final.

No doubt the board felt blowing the lot in pre-season was the best possible warranty against relegation.

There must be many reasons why Canaries’ owners Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones have not pulled any plums from the money pie that the Prem is handing to them.

I can name a few. Some clubs find players are looking for more fashionable clubs, no matter how much they are offered.

Then there is the culture shock when you realise averagely competent players are already on £100k a week and want more to join you.

Let’s not forget, either, agents demanding millions for a few phone calls, as well as the selling club demanding quick payment

Last season Norwich were that close-to-extinction bird with the plumage of profit-making in the Championship, probably around £10m.

The new TV deal was not the reason — the title-winner secured £1m for 14 games.

Compare that with about £118m for each club in the highest tier.

Apparently unimpressed with coming riches, Delia has learned from experience spending is not the problem.

Especially at a club of unsteady state between the top two divisions, it’s spending well that is the problem. She’s become an expert parachutist.

By contrast, Villa’s owners have gambled in a big way.

They spent a whooping £140m in the window which puts them in the top ten of biggest transfer spenders in the world this summer.

Obviously the potential of one of football’s fallen aristocracy is far greater in big-city Birmingham than it is among the flat East Anglian landscape. Ground capacity alone is a 15,000 difference.

Much Norwich faith is placed in Daniel Farke, the German head coach, 42, who has the look of a Netflix tough guy and demands football of persuasive speed and precision practically at the point of a Luger.

He says nothing about the lack of high-profile signings and willingly puts his trust in the players he knows and appreciates.

In several ways this is a far bolder approach than Villa’s. But it does risk a Huddersfield-like fate of hanging on ’til you drop and if you look at the odds the bookies certainly think Norwich are certs for relegation.

At Villa a brace of billionaires, chairman Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, turned to Jesus for help.

Jesus Garcia Pitarch is their man on high (director of football) and they appointed a manager far more down to earth, Dean Smith, a Villa fan forever.

He shares the state of lifetime fandom with Chris Wilder, manager of the third promoted side — Sheffield United. Wilder has spent Yorkshire-style. Cannily.

Villa, on the other hand have acquired 12 players, three of whom were already on loan.

Whether this was a case of buying lots of sweets because they could, there must have been big doubts over a lot of positions.

Smith has an excellent reputation but his task of integration in the early stages must be, and still is, enormous.

Remembering and assessing all the new names and faces will be a fascinating game for supporters.

Personally, I wish one of those clubs well.

The fact that this woman writes for the s*** says it all really.

They deserve each other.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2019, 10:50:26 AM »
I continue to remind people that she was actually arrested in respect of corruption.
I can’t stand the ####.

Offline djbone

• GM : 16.03.2025
« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »

It was the quality of the writing, and hugely impressive characterisation that did it for me; "has the look of a Netflix tough guy" as a shorthand for, erm, "looks German" is prose to die for

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #402 on: August 10, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »

It was the quality of the writing, and hugely impressive characterisation that did it for me; "has the look of a Netflix tough guy" as a shorthand for, erm, "looks German" is prose to die for
You have to remember this stuff is being written for absolute pinheads, the bottom of the barrel.

Offline danno

« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
I think I read years ago that those columns are basically ghostwritten. She just agrees to put her name to it in exchange for cash. A prositute if you like.

If she had typed it up on her London 2012 laptop she'd probably have remembered Wet Spam signing eleven players when they got promoted.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »
She conveniently forgets that when she was at the Sty and the unwashed got promoted to the PL their then manager didn’t stick by the players that got them promoted. They signed several players, including IIRC Gobby Cabbage.

It’s dangerous for a promoted side to not strengthen their squad before the window closes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal