collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sweet Caroline  (Read 29437 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Sweet Caroline
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »
Sweet Caroline is sung in all the bars in Vilamoura...I only got back from there a few days ago and it always gets everyone joining in! Would be a good choice if Don’t Look Back in Anger is replaced.

We are the only team in the world that would walk up Wembley steps to Black Sabbath (obvious reasons)
 and then Unmade silent movie
The club seem to be paying attention to detail and they got the playlist spot on. Can’t remember which Sabbath song they played...was it Paranoid?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2019, 01:15:09 PM »
Yes, but when did it become a Villa thing? And how?

A video took off after the Albion shootout of the team singing it in the dressing room and that's where it took off, I'm pretty sure.

AVTV asked Jack why they chose that song and he said that he really liked the lyric "Good times never seemed so good".

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
What is the deal with "Unmade silent movie" I know when we used to play it, but why did we become associated with the tune? Try explaining it to a 15 year old Villa fan...

I think it was Tony Butler that started using it, and then we started playing it before games/at half time.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
"Smith had always hankered to be a performer and - under the name of the Amos Gherkin Quartet - secretly made a record using EMI's equipment.

Called Theme from an Unmade Silent Movie, its only success was as a cover which went to number one all over South America; and, to his chagrin, Aston Villa played it for years as a prelude to kick-off at their home matches."

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 01:39:12 PM »
Sweet Caroline has been belted out at a Twickenham at half time and full time for as long as I can remember.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
What is the deal with "Unmade silent movie" I know when we used to play it, but why did we become associated with the tune? Try explaining it to a 15 year old Villa fan...

It was played as the team came out back in the 70s. I don’t think it was meant to be an anthem/signature tune.  In fact, another instrumental always followed it but would always be cut short as the game started.

Tony Butler came along at around the same time and also began playing the tune on his show.  This is when it really kicked off but it was definitely played at VP before butler had his show.

Online BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
It was sung by Villa fans in Dr Browns, Middlesbrough before the away game in December 2017.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Sweet Caroline is sung in all the bars in Vilamoura...I only got back from there a few days ago and it always gets everyone joining in! Would be a good choice if Don’t Look Back in Anger is replaced.

We are the only team in the world that would walk up Wembley steps to Black Sabbath (obvious reasons)
The club seem to be paying attention to detail and they got the playlist spot on. Can’t remember which Sabbath song they played...was it Paranoid?

Yes it was Paranoid. I’d have preferred War Pigs personally but it may not have fitted the occasion.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
Yes, but when did it become a Villa thing? And how?

A video took off after the Albion shootout of the team singing it in the dressing room and that's where it took off, I'm pretty sure.

AVTV asked Jack why they chose that song and he said that he really liked the lyric "Good times never seemed so good".

That was my take on it too. I didn't know about Grealish's comments - nor the Stoke half time rendition (which seems like a different universe now)

Online HoratioHornblower

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
has been song by Northern Ireland fans for almost 20 years at games

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »
Wherever it came from, the squad are loving it.
This is a great watch.

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1133339864991195136?s=12

Now if you changed the words from Sweet Caroline to, Big Tyrone Mings, It'd be even better

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
The first thing I do when I get a new phone is change the default ringtone to "Theme From an Unmade Silent Movie".

Offline Gary Penrice

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
has been song by Northern Ireland fans for almost 20 years at games

What he said!

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »

Yes it was Paranoid. I’d have preferred War Pigs personally but it may not have fitted the occasion.

Children of the Grave

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
That gets my vote. Brilliant intro.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal