collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:40:19 PM]

NSWE Investment by SamTheMouse
[Today at 09:39:51 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 09:39:47 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Bad English
[Today at 09:26:04 PM]

FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:25:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Mister E
[Today at 09:24:07 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:17:46 PM]

Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:16:27 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:40:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:40:03 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by SamTheMouse
[Today at 09:39:51 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 09:39:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 09:38:38 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:38:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 09:37:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:37:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Money Sponge Countdown  (Read 5870 times)

Offline eddiemunster

Money Sponge Countdown
« on: May 21, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
Any idea as to when Micah Richards' Sponging is finally over??

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Money Sponge Countdown
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
End of June? they'll be passing a leaving card around the changing room with an envelope for people to chip in a few coppers

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
I wonder if he will give a similar speech as vincent company ??

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
Apparently he'll be giving Gareth Bale lessons on how to handle the remainder of his Real Madrid contract to maximum effect: €17m pa with 3 years left.

One major difference - Bale helped Real to win a bit of silverware.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
I’ll still say this. Why is it his fault? I don’t like Micah Richards but he has no obligation whatsoever to walk away from a very lucrative and lengthy contract that was offered to him. He got injured. Clauses regarding how much he gets compensated, the whole lot or a percentage will be clearly stipulated. The club could have let him go at any point but didn’t because it made more financial sense to keep him around. Probably because insurance was picking up a chunk of it while he remained employed. So I don’t blame him and to call him a sponge isn’t really accurate or fair.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:46 PM »
Doesn't our mate Ross stand to gain financially if we win on Monday?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
He leaves our employ in June.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »
Money is one thing.  To be despised by the Villa fans is a very different ball of wax.  Any normal person could tolerate being judged a freloader but to be judged a player who could have been a Hall of Fame candidate regardless but screwed up is a very different thing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:49:21 PM by brian green »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 04:16:01 PM »
I’ll still say this. Why is it his fault? I don’t like Micah Richards but he has no obligation whatsoever to walk away from a very lucrative and lengthy contract that was offered to him. He got injured. Clauses regarding how much he gets compensated, the whole lot or a percentage will be clearly stipulated. The club could have let him go at any point but didn’t because it made more financial sense to keep him around. Probably because insurance was picking up a chunk of it while he remained employed. So I don’t blame him and to call him a sponge isn’t really accurate or fair.

It's more the perceived lack of effort.

I don't like him and I don't like that we signed him but John Terry earned himself plenty of fans when videos emerged of him getting fit post-injury by running up and down the Holte steps.  Whereas Richard's efforts to actually contribute to the club amount to what exactly?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
Calling it a day, said the Daily Mail, January this year. He's not got locked in his own house, he's not hushed the crowd following his first goal for 7 years. I think he'd have been more than happy with an ability to pound those Holte steps. I wasn't his biggest fan, bit of a loose cannon on the pitch for me. But I don't think he's deserved the vitriol directed at him.
It is understood talks last year to allow Richards to become a free agent were undermined because insurance premiums would not cover Villa, who were therefore happy to keep him on the books for the duration of his contract.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »

I don't like him and I don't like that we signed him but John Terry earned himself plenty of fans when videos emerged of him getting fit post-injury by running up and down the Holte steps.  Whereas Richard's efforts to actually contribute to the club amount to what exactly?

Wasn't he also supposed to have been a major contributor to the clique culture that froze out the French speaking players to a degree?  That was a major contributory factor to our relegation I think.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »
I think any free agent then also gets paid for July if they don't find a club.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 05:48:59 PM »

Wasn't he also supposed to have been a major contributor to the clique culture that froze out the French speaking players to a degree?  That was a major contributory factor to our relegation I think.

Not that I want to sound a defender of his but is there any truth to that? If it was anyone I would put my money on Dim Tim who after saying he agreed with the signings, complained bitterly about them when things went shit shaped. If anyone destroyed the atmosphere it was him.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
The Fat Santa video did it for him.

Online danno

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
Harsh as it is I think it's better for us that he has had his injury problems.

When he was fit because of his profile and wages we felt the need to play him and frankly he was mince.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal