collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80351 times)

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #330 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
I also think that the secret special guest is Cokie the Clown.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2019, 10:22:35 AM »
EFL play-offs: Is this the year Sunderland break the red and white curse?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48382788

Just read that and the comments section - for some reason a lot of other clubs fans seem to hate us these days - I know there are a few over confident posts on there but still...I always thought we were pretty well liked throughout the football world (apart from the obvious) but that seems to have changed now.  The Neutral support definitely seems to be with Derby.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
If as a neutral you were viewing the game as Lamps v Terry, who would you be supporting.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #333 on: May 24, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »

Just read that and the comments section - for some reason a lot of other clubs fans seem to hate us these days - I know there are a few over confident posts on there but still...I always thought we were pretty well liked throughout the football world (apart from the obvious) but that seems to have changed now.  The Neutral support definitely seems to be with Derby.

We were liked when we were a cuddly push over. Fuck them all.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #334 on: May 24, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »
It's in the British psyche to support the underdog anyway.

Offline exigo

« Reply #335 on: May 24, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »
I live and work in London. Everyone I've spoken with recently wants us to go up – a proper club, with tradition, great away trip; loads of reasons given.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »

Comments sections seem to attract the most objectional ****** at the best of times, but the BBC football ones are worse than most.

Best ignored.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »

Comments sections seem to attract the most objectional c***s at the best of times, but the BBC football ones are worse than most.

Best ignored.

There's truth to Duncan's point though, unfortunately. I've been surprised by the change in attitude of football fans over on these shores, where Villa were typically very well-supported and well-liked, harking back to the days when Staunton, McGrath, Townsend, Houghton, Cascarino all played for both Villa and Ireland. There was always huge respect.

That's evidently changed - on my way to the final last year I had my shirt on passing through the airport, and on two separate occasions, randoms shouted "Come on Fulham!" or similar. It was reasonably clear that they weren't actually Fulham fans, just sticking their oars in.

Likewise after watching the first leg of the semi this year I was passing through Dublin and two lads outside a pub shouted 'Fuck Villa' for no apparent reason. Don't think they were Albion fans either.

Not sure what to make of it really, but it is what it is I guess. Hated or adored, never ignored?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #338 on: May 24, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »

Comments sections seem to attract the most objectional c***s at the best of times, but the BBC football ones are worse than most.

Best ignored.

There's truth to Duncan's point though, unfortunately. I've been surprised by the change in attitude of football fans over on these shores, where Villa were typically very well-supported and well-liked, harking back to the days when Staunton, McGrath, Townsend, Houghton, Cascarino all played for both Villa and Ireland. There was always huge respect.

That's evidently changed - on my way to the final last year I had my shirt on passing through the airport, and on two separate occasions, randoms shouted "Come on Fulham!" or similar. It was reasonably clear that they weren't actually Fulham fans, just sticking their oars in.

Likewise after watching the first leg of the semi this year I was passing through Dublin and two lads outside a pub shouted 'Fuck Villa' for no apparent reason. Don't think they were Albion fans either.

Not sure what to make of it really, but it is what it is I guess. Hated or adored, never ignored?

It's the underdog thing.  When we were in the Prem, finishing just outside the European places, with a popular manager, we were the underdogs trying to break in to the top 4.

Aston Villa in the 2nd tier is just as funny to other fans as it was to us when we sent Newcastle down.  We're one of the big boys getting a bloody nose.  Once we've gone up, I'm sure much of that sort of animosity will vanish.

(Except from Newcastle fans - I don't think they'll ever get over themselves!!!)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #339 on: May 24, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
People have short memories when it comes to other teams (I know I do). I regularly speak to Spurs fans and mention my frustration that we were broadly at the same level as them ten years ago and now look at the distance between the two etc. They look at me like I'm mental.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #340 on: May 24, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
In lighter news, Drake has changed his Instagram profile picture to the pic of Mallory Edens wearing a villa shirt.

https://www.instagram.com/champagnepapi/?hl=en

... What does this mean?

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2019, 01:45:15 PM »
In lighter news, Drake has changed his Instagram profile picture to the pic of Mallory Edens wearing a villa shirt.

https://www.instagram.com/champagnepapi/?hl=en

... What does this mean?

pretty girl

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »
Well for the Poll voting to come true the 21st Century Wembley Hoodoo has to be broken some how.
Villa's record at Wembley since and including the year 2000 is truly appalling.
Played 7    Won 2*   Lost 5  Goals For 3** Goals Against 12
* One win was on penalties vs Bolton in the 2000 FA Cup semi.
** One goal was the penalty vs ManU in the 2010 League Cup Final. In 5 of the games Villa failed to score a goal.

Hence my feeling uneasy and not that hopeful for Monday.

So based on the old adage of "Horses for Courses" lump your money on Derby to win!!

You never know it may be one way to break the hoodoo!!

Online KRS

« Reply #343 on: May 24, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »
Fuck that...stay positive and support the team to victory! No room for negativity.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #344 on: May 24, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »
The games we lost were all against better teams than us tho (Chelsea x2, man u, arsenal, Fulham)

It's a bit like saying Jurgen klopp has a bad record in finals because he's lost as Liverpool and dortmund manager to bayern, real Madrid, etc

If anything, it shows that the favourites tend to win finals and I reckon thats us

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal