collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80314 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2019, 11:45:04 PM »
Why is we will freeze and they won’t? We were at Wembley last year. We have more experienced players and coaches. We have better players and coaches. I think what they did was brilliant vs Leeds and their run to their playoffs but what we did for 3 months was just sensational. We have the best player in the league, the most energetic and tenacious player in the league, arguably the best forward and best CB in the league. Even our GK in the past few months has been outstanding. We can’t be complacent and we have a manager with a mountain of experience to help us through that.

And we also have the massive disappointment of last season to draw upon for motivation.

I agree Derby could easily freeze but would imagine them scoring 4 goals at Elland Road will give them a fair bit of confidence they can score a goal or two at Wembley.

They're not as good as Fulham were this time last year though by a long way.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2019, 11:48:49 PM »
Think I heard something similar. Feeling very positive, completely different buzz to last year.

Pre match thread from last year

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?topic=58662.15

"too many big game players at Villa . more experience . I dont expect Fulham to cope on their big day."

"Since when have we become scared of clubs like Fulham? Fuck em and let’s put them in their place. The Villa. "

That only on page 2 so pretty much same as now.

Fulham were much better than this Derby team though. Amazed how badly they flopped in the prem, poor recruitment did them.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2019, 11:52:12 PM »
Toronto Villa called it right.

"It will all depend on what Bruce decides is the appropriate strategy for this game. If he goes out to win I think we will. If he tries to play the counter or grind out game I think we will lose. I hope it’s the former because we have the players for it. We have to play to win from the first kick of the ball."

Showed up SB limitations as a manager that he honestly though we could out grind Fulham like we did Boro in the semi finals. Disaster tactic.

I think it's important we're on the front foot from the very start so would start Hourihane and Kodjia ahead of the safety first options.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2019, 11:55:44 PM »
The big plus is Derby aren't going to be able to bully us, like West Brom did at times. Set pieces aren't going to be the same concern as the semi. With a lot of young players in the team, it's imperative that we quell any kind of good start for them. Last year, we only started playing after half time and that can't happen again. Ashley Cole starting is also a huge plus for us, so we need a completely different set up on our right side to take advantage.

There are a few different options, El Ghazi on right and AA on left is the safest. Kodjia seems to be benefiting on here by not playing much recently. Sub at best for me. Green no way and AA on right no way either.

My preference is to move McGinn slightly over to the right and try and get Elmo in behind Cole on overlap. Hourihane has to start, finals are for winning and he is one of our primary goal threats. Whelan to come back in for Green and Grealish much higher up near Abraham. There are no excuses, our ball playing midfielders simply have to dominate theirs.

-------------------Steer
Elmo, Tuanzebe, Mings, Hause
-----------Whelan, Hourihane
----McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi
----------------Abraham

Interesting idea that, though I feel McGinn is better with his back to goal or side on - he does that great thing where he shields the ball brilliantly before turning and accelerating. That said, if he did play wide and did manage to get in behind he’d put quality balls in, which Green generally doesn’t. Worth considering for the future, not sure about disrupting the shape at this stage.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2019, 12:03:13 AM »
We were far better than Albion in both games, that they jammed taking it to pens doesn't alter that.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:06 AM »
We were far better than Albion in both games, that they jammed taking it to pens doesn't alter that.

Do you think we played better v Boro or WBA in the respective play off semi finals? I would say we were very comfortable at the Riverside and while the 0-0 at VP was nervy I always felt we'd get over the line....certainly didn't have those thoughts after half an hour the other night!

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2019, 12:31:07 AM »

Over both legs there was only one football playing team. That team won !

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2019, 01:44:59 AM »
Toronto Villa called it right.

"It will all depend on what Bruce decides is the appropriate strategy for this game. If he goes out to win I think we will. If he tries to play the counter or grind out game I think we will lose. I hope it’s the former because we have the players for it. We have to play to win from the first kick of the ball."

Showed up SB limitations as a manager that he honestly though we could out grind Fulham like we did Boro in the semi finals. Disaster tactic.

I think it's important we're on the front foot from the very start so would start Hourihane and Kodjia ahead of the safety first options.

I would start Kodjia in one of the wide forward roles and ask him to play exactly how he did against Blues at Villa park, where he never stopped running, scored and created mayhem coming into the box from the opposite side. He and El Ghazi could then be fairly fluid and really hurt Cole, while Abraham would have more support at times.

I would though, start Whelan and bring Hourihane on when Derby are already tired.

It is a must win, we have beaten them 7-0 this season, we need to make sure we turn up, play to our strengths and squeeze Wilson and Mount out of the game. Mount will run in behind Hourihane at will, but Whelan is more likely to be sitting in that space.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2019, 08:07:35 AM »
McGinn can take care of Mount. Not sure Whelan has the legs for the big pitch at Wembley? We saw what it did to our older team last year. I remember Cole playing at VP when we thrashed them 4-0. He had a torrid time. Carson made several good saves in the second half - Derby didn't have a shot on target. Mount and Lawrence were injured and Wilson came on for the second half. But, McGinn didn't play that day and Tuanzebe was still recovering from his injury.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2019, 08:09:52 AM »
Let's not big up Derbys win at Leeds too much. It was a good result but Leeds have been struggling the second half of the season.

They lost 9 of their last 21 since the turn of the year.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Leeds defence was shocking that night, what was Cooper playing at for the penalty??

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »
Not sure Whelan has the legs for the big pitch at Wembley? We saw what it did to our older team last year.

I keep reading about the 'big' Wembley pitch but it's exactly the same size as Villa Park (and Pride Park for that matter).

UEFA has a standard pitch size for Category 4 stadia (115yds x 74yds) - Wembley, VP and PP all comply.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
Let's not big up Derbys win at Leeds too much. It was a good result but Leeds have been struggling the second half of the season.

They lost 9 of their last 21 since the turn of the year.

100% this. Including losing to 10 man Wigan and 10 man Ipswich. If anything it’s surprising Derby gave then so little trouble in the first leg.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2019, 09:48:05 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I'm nervous already and there's still 9 days to go!. I suppose it's the massive implications involved - we have to win!

Offline bill

« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
Hause should be Left back. Taylor simply isn’t in the same class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal