collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80430 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
Ashley Cole starting is also a huge plus for us, so we need a completely different set up on our right side to take advantage.

He was absolutely mince at VP in that first half and we destroyed them time and time again down the right with AA and Elmo...

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2019, 05:59:02 PM »
McGinn and Grealish are our most vital players so I wouldn't be keen on shuffling them around to accommodate other players' weaknesses.

I'd start Albert and bring on Green if needed. The former hasn't been at his best of late but is still capable of having a good impact on games, while the latter is more effective off the bench against tired legs.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
To think Derby are going to be a pushover again is a big mistake.

I think we’ve looked tired and lacklustre for a few games now. Let’s hope we can get our spark back - particularly in front of goal.

We've no excuses.  Plenty of time to recover from the last match, and a full squad to choose from.
The layoff is too long we will lose match fitness and sharpness ;)

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »
McGinn and Grealish are our most vital players so I wouldn't be keen on shuffling them around to accommodate other players' weaknesses.

I'd start Albert and bring on Green if needed. The former hasn't been at his best of late but is still capable of having a good impact on games, while the latter is more effective off the bench against tired legs.
I normally agree with most of the stuff you post, but I can’t on this occasion.
Green should be no where near getting in this team. He lacks nerve and composure and contributed the total sum of fuck all on Tuesday. I was really angry with his lack of performance in such a critical game. There was not one single thing he did well, in the very few times he actually got involved.

For me, I’d play Kodjia in that wide right role and have Albert ready to come on.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2019, 07:02:50 PM »

I normally agree with most of the stuff you post, but I can’t on this occasion.
Green should be no where near getting in this team. He lacks nerve and composure and contributed the total sum of fuck all on Tuesday. I was really angry with his lack of performance in such a critical game. There was not one single thing he did well, in the very few times he actually got involved.

For me, I’d play Kodjia in that wide right role and have Albert ready to come on.
Agree with all the comments re Andre Green, he’s been given plenty of game time by Delano but seems to lack just about everything!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2019, 07:21:43 PM »
Green might come good in time but at the moment he’s nowhere near the required standard.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
Id play the risso team but if DS is going to go with the AA/Green place , Id play Kodja instead .

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
There are things I like about Green but he just looks really nervous and I#m not sure why. Playing for the U23s he's much more willing to take a touch and then play the cross/shot early but for the first team he dwells on the ball too much and makes himself easier to mark.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2019, 08:28:25 PM »

That’s what I think we will do. Just can’t see Smith shuffling players around.

Offline wince

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2019, 08:59:44 PM »
Bbc news this morning creaming over derby performance. Our victory did t get much attention the day before. I don’t underestimate Derby but this is our best chance of going up. I don’t care how we get there but am concerned that I rather like the championship....

Online john2710

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2019, 09:04:45 PM »
We're not going to change the formation or the basic content of team after they've helped get us to the final. A formation that battered Derby previously. I know past performances count for nothing.

The only decisions will be Hourihane or Whelan and Albert or Green. I think he'll chose the first in both cases.

Kodja & Whelan to come on if / when needed.

One things for certain, Dean won't sit back & hope we can sneak a win. Tammy needs to impose himself much more than he did against WBA, maybe his shoulder is not 100%.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »
Bbc news this morning creaming over derby performance. Our victory did t get much attention the day before. I don’t underestimate Derby but this is our best chance of going up. I don’t care how we get there but am concerned that I rather like the championship....

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t conflicted about the idea of being back in the PL. This has been a great season - finally got my daughter interested with the help of Smith’s sexy football, 10 game winning streaks, the buzz of the playoffs, local (for us) derbies with brizzle. The thought of replacing that with relegation 6 pointers, getting walloped by teams I hate....

But then, I thought all that last year and was still gutted when we lost in the playoffs. 

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
We're not going to change the formation or the basic content of team after they've helped get us to the final. A formation that battered Derby previously. I know past performances count for nothing.

The only decisions will be Hourihane or Whelan and Albert or Green. I think he'll chose the first in both cases.

Kodja & Whelan to come on if / when needed.

One things for certain, Dean won't sit back & hope we can sneak a win. Tammy needs to impose himself much more than he did against WBA, maybe his shoulder is not 100%.

I agree John I think he’ll start Adomah and 50/50 on whether Whelan or Hourihane will start.

I don’t really have a problem with that. AA may not be the same player he was a year ago but he’s a goal threat and has big game experience.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
Ashley Cole starting is also a huge plus for us, so we need a completely different set up on our right side to take advantage.

He was absolutely mince at VP in that first half and we destroyed them time and time again down the right with AA and Elmo...

I was going to ask about the significance of the full back Malone being suspended having picked up a late sending off, is that who Cole comes in for? If he’s that bad that was a really significant moment for us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2019, 09:35:15 PM »
Watched the highlights of the Leeds Derby game. Derby played a diamond and threw caution to the wind, but fuck me, did Leeds not shoot themselves in booth feet and the head.

Anybody with an ounce of game management would have seen Derby off. Defensively an utter shambles, so much room.

Still, much rather play Derby. We match up much better and have better players throughout.

Sure we were not at our best over the two legs, but Derby were utter shite in the first leg and fortunate to play a side absolutely hell bent on fucking it up in the 2nd.

We on the other hand played the Roukes Drift re-enactment society, dug so deep they might as well have had mine shafts on the pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal