collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 81124 times)

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 08:20:23 AM »
Pleased it is Derby as they suit our play better and it could be a very good  game. I think we need the break to regroup after a pretty intense past few weeks. The good thing is Smith and his management team will use the extra preparation time to its full effect so, hopefully  the team will be sharper . Notice that Lampard's immediate comment was something about Derby being the underdogs-I think it's a close call, they only finished two points below us ,have hit a bit of form recently and last night's win was tremendous.I'm hoping the break has the opposite effect on their momentum.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »
That's a really good point as I think if the final was this weekend Derby would have the edge.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
They were absolute shite on Saturday.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
They were absolute shite on Saturday.

It's a good point.  If both teams are at their best, then we should beat them, but if we're having an off day, then if they play like they did last night they'll win. 

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »
Leeds imploded. Things were under control at 2-0 on aggregate and at home.

Derby played well but Leeds lost it as much as they won it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
This is an interesting pre match thread. The first half of it is a Villa/Leeds pre match thread and the second half of it is a Villa/Derby pre match thread.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:35:04 AM by Damo70 »

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
I saw nothing last night to make me think we weren't better than either of them.

It was a completely different game to ours as both teams were just going for it and gave up on defence. Leeds in particular were abysmal at the back.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »
Leeds imploded. Things were under control at 2-0 on aggregate and at home.

Derby played well but Leeds lost it as much as they won it.

And it all stemmed from the keeper making an absolute howler and a few minutes later almost another one, must have really put the doubt in the minds of their back line that and the sheer shithousery of their general play.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
We just really need to work on guarding against complacency, both amongst the fanbase but particularly the team.  We have put arguably our two best performances of the season on vs Derby, we really could have had 6 or 7 at VP, but that will count for absolutely nothing now.  That said I'm glad it's them and not Leeds.

As a fan base we need not to go silent like we did for a massive anxious chunk of the game in the first leg. It seems so common with home crowds, thankfully with the Wembley even split and spread of the loudest support etc I don’t think that’ll happen. Hopefully it won’t happen because of what goes on on the pitch.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2019, 09:39:40 AM »
This is an interesting pre match thread. The first half of it is a Villa/Leeds pre match thread and the second half of it is a Villa/Derby pre match thread.

It’s also Leeds Derby post match, very efficient.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
 ;)Bit subdued around LS18 this morning!

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2019, 09:52:40 AM »
Looking forward to the final now in a way I don't think I would have done if it been Leeds.  Not so much I think because I'm afraid of them but because would have made it a battle and I don't think we have the players for that.  Having said that it won't be easy and im sure Dean will be telling the players to forget the two previous results.  This is a different Derby team at the moment and they will run and fight all the way.  May the best team win but please just let it be us!   

PS Have to say I was so impressed with the way Frank Lampard spoke after Saturday's game and before and after last night.  If Derby weren't playing Villa I'd be right be right behind them but.......

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
We just really need to work on guarding against complacency, both amongst the fanbase but particularly the team.  We have put arguably our two best performances of the season on vs Derby, we really could have had 6 or 7 at VP, but that will count for absolutely nothing now.  That said I'm glad it's them and not Leeds.

As a fan base we need not to go silent like we did for a massive anxious chunk of the game in the first leg. It seems so common with home crowds, thankfully with the Wembley even split and spread of the loudest support etc I don’t think that’ll happen. Hopefully it won’t happen because of what goes on on the pitch.
Where the standing section?.

Offline levico

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
I’d have much preferred Leeds in the final mainly because I believe they would have self destructed the way they did last night.

Let’s hope Derby don’t play like they did yesterday because our tired looking bunch won’t cope.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:40 AM »
Like we didn't cope with them the last two times we played them? And you realise players are less likely to look tired after thirteen days off than they are after three?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal