collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 81079 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Starting 11 for play off final.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
I don't mind Taylor. I'd like him to have the odd shot but he can interlink quite effectively near the opposition byeline.

Taylor isn't great but seems to have the Alan Wright (who often had Collymore as his 'outlet') scapegoat about him.

Offline villa_cads

Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »
I can't see many changes, perhaps Adomah for Green, maybe Whelan for Hourihane - I think there is a big element of leaving impact players on the bench to change the game if needed, the likes of Kodjia, Hourihane. Defence will stay unchanged, I actually think Taylor has done well at the back, final ball going forward notwithstanding!

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »
I want to see us play to the whistle, and bollocks to putting the ball out for any Leeds twat who is having a lie down on the pitch.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »
I want to see us play to the whistle, and bollocks to putting the ball out for any Leeds twat who is having a lie down on the pitch.

Especially if we’re playing Derby.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
Yeah quite, why the assumption it's Leeds ?

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
Apparently no team that has lost at home in the first leg (like Derby did on Saturday) has ever reached the Play-off Final.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
Whilst my name is not Richard can I also say I would like Derby there instead of dirty Whites.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
I would like Leeds because we haven’t beaten them this season ,and beating Derby thee times maybe asking to much.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
well we have to win to go up and I'm not sure it matters who we are playing in the final. To me the biggest hurdle was getting past WBA

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
That's actually an interesting selection, play Whelan and Hourihane and give Jack and El Ghazi free roles off Tammy.

I'm on the start Kodj bandwagon but that could actually work and get us playing between the Leeds lines much more.

Similar to how we played v Liverpool with Jack and N'zogbia floating off Benteke (obviously a bust in the final but our mentality for that was wretched).

Few options but I'm not convinced DS will change shape at this late stage so imagine we'll start two out wide.

Might need a 'Graham Fenton' type of surprise selection for the final.  Definitely think the front three needs tweaking, as Green has struggled in recent weeks and Adomah looks shot at the moment.  I would personally move El Ghazi to the right and then consider these options:

- Whelan, Hourihane and McGinn in midfield and Jack drifting out to the left side
 - Kodjia starting on the left
 - Kodjia or Davis starting up front and Tammy moving out on the left

That's the last thing I would do at this stage. El Ghazi has been one of our better, if not best, performers in the last few weeks. Don't mess about with what is working. Concentrate on the areas that aren't.

I'm still not sure about El Ghazi on the left MV, as he is weak on his left side.  Would still consider switching him to the right and looking at other options for the left. 
  I think El Ghazi is as good on both sides (weak on his left side? don't make me laugh) - he is a two footed player and can cross with left or right but I think his shooting is slightly better on the right foot which he can use more effectively cutting in from the left wing.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 02:21:39 PM »
I would like Leeds because we haven’t beaten them this season ,and beating Derby thee times maybe asking to much.
I'd like Derby because we haven't beaten Leeds this season and we've beaten Derby twice.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »
I'd like Derby because we haven't beaten Leeds this season and we've beaten Derby twice.

7-0 across the two matches wasn't it? Can't imagine they'll fancy it much.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
Kodjia and Tammy caused havoc at Rotherham as a two - Tammy on his own against Leeds thugs Cooper and Jansson (if it's Leeds) won't work. Hause at LB - his physicality is stronger than Taylor's.

Offline levico

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:50 PM »
Looks like it’s going to be Derby.

Pity, I’d have fancied us more against a flawed Leeds side.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »
Its Darrrby Counteee Brian !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal