collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80481 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
not nervous yet , but I wasnt before the baggies game and then when the second leg started I was a wreck .   I couldnt watch the pens , I turned back on as Jack was taking one , the nerves just went ...

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »
I am with you Paulie.

For me though its the wider implications of not going up that bother me so much.
I could accept another year or two down in the championship if we had the team and squad to give us the same as we have had for the last 2 years.
We have to admit, it’s been fun.

However, we know the club NEEDS to be back in the PL and more than that, the thought of losing Grealish is galling.

He will have to go, and we all understand why and it would be with our blessing after what he has given in the last 2 seasons especially, but to lose one of the best players we have seen for many, many years is a real pisser.

I desperately want to go up not only for the good of the club, but to keep the best players from this current team.

Yep, all of the above for me too.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
Can't handle the thought of another Final defeat this year. We simply have to win. I don't subscribe to the thought that staying in the Championship could be better for us. Look what a mess the Leeds fans have been reduced to after so many years battling to get back up. Animosity aside, wouldn't want to be in their position after 15 years of lower league football with all the ups and downs associated.

We must go up.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
Is anyone else already shitting bricks over this match?

I find myself, every now and then, thinking to how fucking GUTTING it was last season against Fulham and my stomach goes into full on churn mode thinking about that happening again.

I am with you Paulie. Have an exam tomorrow, potentially my last for my professional qualifications, and I can't concentrate for more than 5 minutes at a time. Totally bricking it. And keep seeing Mount running in behind Cairney style, Jack in tears, the whole thing going wrong. Horrible!

Why couldn't we just appoint Smith last August and go up automatically! This route is torture.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »
Last season was super gutting, but this season, with this team, this football, this run, this manager, this absolute certainty that Jack will leave if we don't get promoted - yeah, I don't even want to think about it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
I was more nervous last year as they were a better side and I knew we needed to be at 100% and then some to have a chance of winning. I'd also last faith with Bruce after Carrow Road and wanted him gone regardless when the season ended.

Unfortunately he reverted to type.

This time round, we're the better side, with a better defensive, midfield and attacking unit, with better individual players and the memories of how we obliterated them twice.

If we play anything like our best, we win.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »
I know the logic, but because we are a better side, with a much more connected side with the fan base, and because it is a bit like Peter Pan and the lost boys watching Jack lead this team out, with Dean Smith and the whole fairy tale story of him and his Villa roots. It will hurt sooo much more this time.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
Hopefully this gives those nervous a bit more optimism.

https://twitter.com/ryxn_avfc/status/1130399554359255040?s=12

We are such a different team and club to last season. Under Bruce there was no plan outside of work hard. He went into all the games in the playoffs and final just looking to pinch something. We played right into Fulham’s hands last year. We won’t make the same mistake again. We will have a plan just for Derby. For their players. For they way of playing. We are fully fit, we have a variety of options to attack them with. Most of all, we have a manager who not only understands us, the pain and joy of being one of us, but is a top professional and will prepare the club for what we need to do. That’s what have most faith in that this season will be different.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Some cracking goals in there

Regardless of the actual outcome all I have in my mind is that we will go there and our coaching team will set us up to win the game. My biggest fear last year after Spudulike out Pulis'ed the smog monsters was that he thought he had found a formula to beat Fulham and it proved to be dismally poor.

You cannot account for a defensive brain fart, a hideously wrong ref decision or a huge deflection - what I cannot face is another game where our tactics (or lack of them) meant we were potentially beaten before we kicked a ball in anger.

We have the right players, we have the right coaches and it is OUR time

Bring it on

UTV

Offline nevillain

« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
Thank you for that post TV. All the talk of nervousness was making me nervous! Feel better now. UTV

Offline KRS

« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2019, 02:11:47 PM »
Excellent montage TV.

We will have a game plan, a fit squad, a solid team ethic and a determined solidarity both on and off the pitch to finish the job. Keep the faith. UTV!!!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:51 PM »
I am with you Paulie.

For me though its the wider implications of not going up that bother me so much.
I could accept another year or two down in the championship if we had the team and squad to give us the same as we have had for the last 2 years.
We have to admit, it’s been fun.

However, we know the club NEEDS to be back in the PL and more than that, the thought of losing Grealish is galling.

He will have to go, and we all understand why and it would be with our blessing after what he has given in the last 2 seasons especially, but to lose one of the best players we have seen for many, many years is a real pisser.

I desperately want to go up not only for the good of the club, but to keep the best players from this current team.

Yep, all of the above for me too.

Yep, agree too.  After some pretty bleak years, it has felt over the last couple of months that the club is finally getting some momentum which we could carry into the top flight if we were to go up.  There are some really popular players at the club again now and going up would give us a good shot at keeping them at the club, along with adding some of a similar or even better quality.

As others have said, I could more than stomach not going up if we knew Mings, Tuanzebe, Grealish, McGinn and Abraham were staying no matter what happened next Monday.  The reality is that we probably won't be able to keep that kind of calibre of player at the club should we not go up and will be looking at a lengthy rebuilding job.   

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
And just to play if it doesn’t happen scenario we also need to stop thinking the absolute worst if we don’t go up regarding player retention or acquisition. Yes we will lose Jack and yes we might not keep all of the top players we have today. But at the lowest point last pre-season somehow we were still able to secure Abraham, McGinn, keep Jack etc.

So while we won’t keep everyone, we will shed a lot of salaries accumulated during the last number of years and we have a manager who will bring in excellent players to play his system. So while it will be terrible if we don’t go up given who has come down and stayed down I would still have every confidence we will go up next season with new players and a younger overall squad.

Offline KRS

« Reply #193 on: May 20, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »
Obvious contenders in the mix next season will be Villa/Derby, Leeds, Baggies, Boro, Bristol, Forest and possible Sheff Weds...plus Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield. I don’t see any team to fear amongst that lot given the managerial and player changes that will happen at a few of them during the summer...Baggies already know they won’t have the tweenie twat again next seas for a start.

Anyways wrong thread for this kind of talk...focus on fucking these fuckers next Monday!

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
This time next week, we will have kicked off...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal