collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909903 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #4320 on: July 19, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »
Definitely don't want Sturridge; it's got bad news written all over it.  Not sure what the fuss is about Maupay.  Butland would be my choice as keeper.

25 goals and 8 assists in 43 games for a mid-table Championship team last season hilts!

Looks an exceptional talent from the games Ive seen, another Vardy type all action, mobile across the front line and goal scorer.

Hasn't he got a bit of an edge to him too? Didn't he score a couple of goals against us at Villa Park but arguably could have been sent off in the same match before his 2nd? For what I can't remember?

You remember right, he was a niggly little bastard that day.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #4321 on: July 19, 2019, 03:50:10 PM »
Definitely don't want Sturridge; it's got bad news written all over it.  Not sure what the fuss is about Maupay.  Butland would be my choice as keeper.

25 goals and 8 assists in 43 games for a mid-table Championship team last season hilts!

Looks an exceptional talent from the games Ive seen, another Vardy type all action, mobile across the front line and goal scorer.

Hasn't he got a bit of an edge to him too? Didn't he score a couple of goals against us at Villa Park but arguably could have been sent off in the same match before his 2nd? For what I can't remember?

Yes, he put a sly boot on SJM's knee while he was on the ground. He's a bit of a nasty little shit.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4322 on: July 19, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »
He looks like a nightmare to play against. Do it.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #4323 on: July 19, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »

You remember right, he was a niggly little bastard that day.
Yeah I remember that Brentford had an edge to them that match (they weren't gonna roll over and were putting themselves about which kinda surprised and if I'm honest impressed me - although obviously not the Maupay SJM incident).

Cheers Chinchilla Bathhouse - I couldn't remember/visualise the actual incident :-)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #4324 on: July 19, 2019, 04:06:26 PM »
Seems a lot, expecting two rookies to score the goals we'll need to stay up.  I know we'll get a few from midfield too but it's not as if the other strikers on our books are going to make defences shit themselves.  Still, if Smith thinks he's the one it's important we back him.  There's always January I guess.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4325 on: July 19, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »
I don't think Dean Smith is against proven talent. But it's also mentality that he's looking for and as much.

We're still Aston Villa and a massive club, but we are also one that just spent the part three years fucking around in the league below. Our stock has taken a hit and the more proven players may want more security or simply want a premium to come to us. It reminds me where Man City were when they got stupid rich that they almost had to buy their credibility vs having earned it over many years. I don't think we should do that and so we need to get that tier of player that is talented enough to make the step up and is determined enough to make it work for themselves and the club.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4326 on: July 19, 2019, 04:14:07 PM »
Seems a lot, expecting two rookies to score the goals we'll need to stay up.  I know we'll get a few from midfield too but it's not as if the other strikers on our books are going to make defences shit themselves.  Still, if Smith thinks he's the one it's important we back him.  There's always January I guess.

Those are my concerns, too.

Online KRS

« Reply #4327 on: July 19, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »
It’s worth remembering that Wesley isn’t and hasn’t been known for being a prolific goal scorer, so unless he changes his game or has a good supply then we’ll need another striker to rotate with or cover if Wes gets injured.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #4328 on: July 19, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
Daniel Sturridge

PL stats (not including Champions League or League Cup)

Year            Games          Goals      Assists
2018-19      18                 2            1
2017-18       9                  2            1
2016-17      20                 3            1
2015-16      14                 8            1
2014-15      12                 4            1

But would you take Daniel Sturridge on a pay as you play contract?

or would you take him on £25k a week with a high scoring bonus?
Good questions. You've got to go back 4 seasons for a good goal return from Daniel Sturridge. Would you not be better sticking with a younger forward/understudy (e.g. Keinan Davis?) and developing them (and in the process increasing their market value) if you're going to get the goal returns of his recent seasons?

DS and the whole team in interviews place a major emphasis on the player's character, temperament and how they would potentially integrate into the group as a whole and how they do their due diligence (research on the players they look to sign). I'd personally be surprised if this happened although it may under the possible monetary conditions that you propose with those questions LondonVilla.

I suppose I'm being sentimental I can remember Sturridge walking around the pitch at Villa Park when he was in our youth setup

If he comes to the villa I would hope it would be because of unfinished business in his eyes.

I do like having some Brummies and youth team members in our first-team squad.

if Dean wants him then I will back Deans decision

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #4329 on: July 19, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
Given his history with the youth team and his links with bookies I am surprised the noses aren’t after him.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #4330 on: July 19, 2019, 04:34:51 PM »
Given his history with the youth team and his links with bookies I am surprised the noses aren’t after him.

His dad was at the Blues

Mike Sturridge
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only
Michael Alexander Sturridge (born 18 September 1962) is an English former footballer who played as a forward. Originally on the books of Birmingham City,he didn't make a professional appearance for the club. He did make 4 appearances in the English Football League whilst on loan from Birmingham City at Welsh club Wrexham.[

He is the father of England international forward Daniel Sturridge, who most recently played for Liverpool, and the brother of former footballers Dean and Simon Sturridge

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #4331 on: July 19, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »

His dad was at the Blues

Mike Sturridge

Michael Alexander Sturridge (born 18 September 1962) is an English former footballer who played as a forward. Originally on the books of Birmingham City,he didn't make a professional appearance for the club. He did make 4 appearances in the English Football League whilst on loan from Birmingham City at Welsh club Wrexham.[

He is the father of England international forward Daniel Sturridge, who most recently played for Liverpool, and the brother of former footballers Dean and Simon Sturridge

Simon Sturridge  made more than 250 appearances in the Football League for Birmingham City,

Dean Sturridge played for Derby County, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Kidderminster Harriers

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #4332 on: July 19, 2019, 05:07:04 PM »
Maupay makes sense. Every tine I’ve seen rumours about him the fee has looked strangely low. Is it a contract length issue or something else?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4333 on: July 19, 2019, 05:26:52 PM »

His dad was at the Blues

Mike Sturridge

Simon Sturridge  made more than 250 appearances in the Football League for Birmingham City,

Dean Sturridge played for Derby County, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Kidderminster Harriers

Daniel Sturridge has played in 73 PL games and missed 117 PL games in the last five years. When I was a betting shop manager for William Hill Daniel Sturridge's uncle Dave managed the next branch down from mine. When Simon Sturridge visited his brothers shop to see him Dave would refuse to serve him due to him being family and a conflict of interests so he used to come into my branch to bet on the dogs.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4334 on: July 19, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Maupay makes sense. Every tine I’ve seen rumours about him the fee has looked strangely low. Is it a contract length issue or something else?

£20 million low for a championship forward? 

Though I haven't seen the most recent speculation, so maybe Sheff U, Brighton are being quoted a lower figure than us.

With the business we've done so far, I'd like to see a few incoming closer to the finished article. Outside of the madness of the English top flight (and Championship now, it seems) there will be experienced forwards in the top leagues in Spain, Germany etc who might be going for more realistic figures.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal