collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909982 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #2055 on: June 20, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »
not the Pope
I dunno, I hear he's very good on crosses

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2056 on: June 20, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »
Heaton is 33 so he may well be good in the short term but we will be back here again soon and it will probably cost us more over time

if Butland is good enough to be a premier league goalie for the next 5 years at the top of his game it would be best to get him in now even at 20m,
You’ve sorted one of the most important positions out for a good few years and probably saved a fortune in doing so

Obviously if you don’t think Butland is good enough then I can see why people don’t want him but to just say an older goalkeeper like Heaton to save a few pennies is false economy on and off the pitch

the goalkeeper is not a ‘he can do a job for us’ position, it’s essential we have the best we can get

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #2057 on: June 20, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »
I'd take Wanyama actually. Was a good player at Southampton and hasn't been too bad at Spurs although obviously not champions league quality. Only 27 so fits into our age profile aswell.

I agree we need a DM with a bit of presence and height. Just signing a small Ryan Woods type figure and our whole midfield would be skilfull but pretty small.

Wanyama's legs are gone, has had loads on injuries. Surprised we haven't been linked to Mooy yet.
He’d be the new djemba dejemba for us !?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2058 on: June 20, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
Heaton is better than 'doing a job' for us. 33 seems old but for a goalkeeper isn't the end of the world, we'd probably get 3 years out of him and if a better/younger option comes along in the meantime he could spend the last year or 18 months of any such deal as our #2.

Given the other areas we need to strengthen, Butland is just too expensive for me at 20m. If he was obviously worth it, that would be a different story, but for me the jury's out. I would prefer Heaton or Pope with Steer pushing them for the shirt.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2059 on: June 20, 2019, 08:45:50 AM »
I don't rate Johnstone (never have) or Butland.
I'd be trying for either Heaton or Pope (not the Pope, but the goalkeeper Pope)

John Paul II played in goal

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2060 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
Heaton is better than 'doing a job' for us. 33 seems old but for a goalkeeper isn't the end of the world, we'd probably get 3 years out of him and if a better/younger option comes along in the meantime he could spend the last year or 18 months of any such deal as our #2.

Given the other areas we need to strengthen, Butland is just too expensive for me at 20m. If he was obviously worth it, that would be a different story, but for me the jury's out. I would prefer Heaton or Pope with Steer pushing them for the shirt.

Tend to agree, we signed Friedel when he was 37. He was solid and didn't miss a single prem game over three seasons.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #2061 on: June 20, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »
Heaton is not a free agent, he has a year left on his contract, whereas Butland has two. I don’t think that Friedal can be used as a justification, he was fairly unique. Heaton has had extended periods of injury in recent years. We gave Given a four year contract when he was 35, and he only really played for the first season.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2062 on: June 20, 2019, 12:18:00 PM »

Tend to agree, we signed Friedel when he was 37. He was solid and didn't miss a single prem game over three seasons.

Friedal rarely missed a game throughout his career. According to Wikipedia, in the last two seasons, Heaton has played 4 games and 19 games respectively. Hardly a fair comparison.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2063 on: June 20, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »

Friedal rarely missed a game throughout his career. According to Wikipedia, in the last two seasons, Heaton has played 4 games and 19 games respectively. Hardly a fair comparison.

Friedel was the exception rather than the norm, too.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2064 on: June 20, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
None of which makes Butland a £20m player.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2065 on: June 20, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »

No, the current market does that.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2066 on: June 20, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »

I don't think the owners will scale back on other positions just because we spend £20m on a goalie. 

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2067 on: June 20, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2068 on: June 20, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »
I don't rate Johnstone (never have) or Butland.
I'd be trying for either Heaton or Pope (not the Pope, but the goalkeeper Pope)

John Paul II played in goal

I had him down as a right winger

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2069 on: June 20, 2019, 01:31:58 PM »
Wonder if Steer Signing a new contract means all the GK speculation has been press guff. Do seem to be a Lot of links to that position though. Out if those linked u would go with Butland fwiw

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal