collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910197 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #1935 on: June 18, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »
The thing to consider with Butland is that, if it happens, I suspect it's because we already have a buyer for Kalinic and it'll be not far short of what we spent so the net spend on replacing him will be more like £13m-ish. I've never been particularly impressed with him but he's highly rated by a lot of people and I honestly don't pay much attention to Stoke or England so I've only seen him play a handful of times.

I do think a Midfielder and Left Back are much more important to us right now though.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1936 on: June 18, 2019, 04:52:04 PM »
The Phillips is staying at Leeds comes from one of those Jackanory TeamTalk Twitter accounts, ran by a Leeds fan.

If we make an acceptable bid, he'll leave. Jack never had a choice to make as Spurs made a bid of £3m plus Onomah and then £25m post take over, both of which were obviously rejected.

Phillips has a chance to;

Play for a bigger club
Premier League football
Significantly increase his wages
Push for an England spot in a tournament year in a position England are weak in

Make a bid that Leeds accept and he will come.

My feelings exactly.

There's also the incentive of not having to play for a bunch of snarling Neanderthals in a tin pot shack of a stadium.

My mate is a Leeds fan and reckons Bielsa only agreed to stay on if assurances were given that certain players would not be sold - Phillips was the main one apparently. So I don't think he'll be coming here.

Ads, the same reasons for Jack to leave last summer for Spuds (apart from a bigger club bit), and he stayed. Just something to consider

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1937 on: June 18, 2019, 05:07:00 PM »
The thing to consider with Butland is that, if it happens, I suspect it's because we already have a buyer for Kalinic and it'll be not far short of what we spent so the net spend on replacing him will be more like £13m-ish. I've never been particularly impressed with him but he's highly rated by a lot of people and I honestly don't pay much attention to Stoke or England so I've only seen him play a handful of times.

I do think a Midfielder and Left Back are much more important to us right now though.

There’s no player on the pitch more important than the goalkeeper imo

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1938 on: June 18, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
You're right but I think paul e is making the point that while Butland would be an upgrade, there's potential to make bigger upgrades elsewhere.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1939 on: June 18, 2019, 05:28:56 PM »
The Phillips is staying at Leeds comes from one of those Jackanory TeamTalk Twitter accounts, ran by a Leeds fan.

If we make an acceptable bid, he'll leave. Jack never had a choice to make as Spurs made a bid of £3m plus Onomah and then £25m post take over, both of which were obviously rejected.

Phillips has a chance to;

Play for a bigger club
Premier League football
Significantly increase his wages
Push for an England spot in a tournament year in a position England are weak in

Make a bid that Leeds accept and he will come.

My feelings exactly.

There's also the incentive of not having to play for a bunch of snarling Neanderthals in a tin pot shack of a stadium.

My mate is a Leeds fan and reckons Bielsa only agreed to stay on if assurances were given that certain players would not be sold - Phillips was the main one apparently. So I don't think he'll be coming here.

Ads, the same reasons for Jack to leave last summer for Spuds (apart from a bigger club bit), and he stayed. Just something to consider
I'd like to think Phillips is not the only option to fill this important slot.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1940 on: June 18, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »

There’s no player on the pitch more important than the goalkeeper imo

Yes that's possibly true but we've got a couple of goalkeepers that I think have more to offer than we've seen, we don't have a defensive midfielder and even at his best Taylor isn't good enough in the opposition half to do the job I think we'll need from him.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1941 on: June 18, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
Alan Nixon in The Scum

ASTON VILLA are making a shock move for Bristol City’s giant centre-half Adam Webster in a bid to strengthen their Premier League squad.

Villa boss Dean Smith needs two defenders after Axel Tuanzebe returned to Manchester United, while Bournemouth are haggling over a fee for Tyrone Mings.

Smith’s money-men will back him with a bid of around £12million for Webster, who only joined Lee Johnson’s club from Ipswich a year ago.

Villa have been rebuffed so far but their interest is bound to appeal to Webster, who could make a quick move into the top-flight.

Tuanzebe is set to be involved in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s pre-season games at United.

Meanwhile, Villa refuse to overpay for Mings after reviving his career in a successful loan spell.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1942 on: June 18, 2019, 05:39:08 PM »
You're right but I think paul e is making the point that while Butland would be an upgrade, there's potential to make bigger upgrades elsewhere.

So make those upgrades as well. It's not one or the other. We've got dollars now.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1943 on: June 18, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »

So make those upgrades as well. It's not one or the other.
Quite, but there must be priorities if you have a limited budget, as I presume we have.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1944 on: June 18, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »

I get the feeling from these owners it’s not confined to one or the other.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1945 on: June 18, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »

So make those upgrades as well. It's not one or the other.
Quite, but there must be priorities if you have a limited budget, as I presume we have.

Why? What in the 'not just here to make up the numbers' spiel that the owners and Purslow have stuck to since promotion, following spending £20m on an unknown Brazilian striker, makes you presume we couldn't spend £20m on Butland, £10m on a decent left back and £15m on a defensive midfielder (who we've supposedly already made a bid of that amount for)? Genuine question.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1946 on: June 18, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »
And just how much more minted than they are would our owners have to be for us not to have a limited budget?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1947 on: June 18, 2019, 05:47:17 PM »
Of course there's a limited budget, we're not going to spend £150m for example.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1948 on: June 18, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Of course there's a limited budget, we're not going to spend £150m for example.

Can't say we will, won't say we won't. But I think we'd be better if we did now, in one hit, rather than drip feeding it in over the next half a dozen windows. YOLO...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:52:40 PM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1949 on: June 18, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »
That wasn't really the point I was making. I wasn't thinking either/or more that it'll make a bigger difference and therefore getting those right is more important. On top of that in terms of timescales I'd rather the outfield players in earlier to get a full pre-season and the goalkeeper can come once those key signings are sorted, if we don't have time/staff to negotiate the lot at once. Of course this is also assuming that Mings is pretty much sorted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal