collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:39:06 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:39:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910389 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #1305 on: June 10, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »
It was absolutely just a euphemism for 'cheap' from a club regime that treated the fans like idiots as a compulsion.

Not quite. There were tonnes of pearls fed to pigs. And then there was MON who refused to be held accountable for some of the crap he played and bought. Time to move on and never repeat to worship false gods. I hope that Dean Smith, however he does in the future, will never see our club drinking from the slop bucket again.

The crap that MON bought got us into Europe and contesting cup semi finals and a final. And I think we made a tidy profit on Young, Milner and some others when we sold them.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1306 on: June 10, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
Yes, out of the fifty or so million players he signed, about three turned a profit. We made massive losses overall. And is getting Aston Villa into Europe and losing a cup final really that big an achievement? We were spending more money than any club in the country for large periods of his tenure.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1307 on: June 10, 2019, 04:36:14 PM »
Pablo Fornals...

please elaborate

thought Arse was after him or even spurzzzz

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #1308 on: June 10, 2019, 05:10:30 PM »
It was absolutely just a euphemism for 'cheap' from a club regime that treated the fans like idiots as a compulsion.

Not quite. There were tonnes of pearls fed to pigs. And then there was MON who refused to be held accountable for some of the crap he played and bought. Time to move on and never repeat to worship false gods. I hope that Dean Smith, however he does in the future, will never see our club drinking from the slop bucket again.

The crap that MON bought got us into Europe and contesting cup semi finals and a final. And I think we made a tidy profit on Young, Milner and some others when we sold them.
Yes I agree, and I think most people at the time were fairly happy with MON until the Moscow debacle.

Hindsight is a great viewpoint to have , and I get the lessons learnt, but I would take the football he played in the PL, as it wasn't rubbish and getting to a cup final and into Europe again would be a big thing if we could emulate that on the playing side.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1309 on: June 10, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »

The problem was with the numerous other players he bought who were useless (Heskey), never used (Beye) or both (Shorey) and who we just allowed to run down their contracts and walk away for nothing.

You're right, we did ok those years but the cost was insane.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1310 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
Getting Aston Villa into the top six wasn't an achievement. O'Leary, Gregory, Little, Atkinson, Taylor and Barton all did it after Saunders.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1311 on: June 10, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
Getting Aston Villa into the top six wasn't an achievement. O'Leary, Gregory, Little, Atkinson, Taylor and Barton all did it after Saunders.

Surely it was an achievement given the money that was coming in and the resurgence of certain teams in that era ?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1312 on: June 10, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
The success of those players now is not doing wonders for Sherwood's reputation.

I think pretty much everyone except Tom Fox knew he was a bit of a twat at the time, this kind of thing is just further evidence.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1313 on: June 10, 2019, 06:28:30 PM »

The problem was with the numerous other players he bought who were useless (Heskey), never used (Beye) or both (Shorey) and who we just allowed to run down their contracts and walk away for nothing.

You're right, we did ok those years but the cost was insane.

The cost was ultimately relegation.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1314 on: June 10, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »
It is bonkers when you consider the wages we were throwing around back then that the only two strikers he spent money on, and we were rigidly playing 442 as well, were Heskey and Harewood.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1315 on: June 10, 2019, 06:57:05 PM »
MON wasn't responsible for the relegation but you can't write him out of the story. He is responsible, however, for missing our biggest chance at doing something big for ages, as we were spending the most money in the league on overpriced, uninspiring signings with zero resale value (for the most part) to play football at least a decade out of date, right down to the lack of squad rotation. That's entirely on him.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1316 on: June 10, 2019, 07:05:31 PM »

Surely it was an achievement given the money that was coming in and the resurgence of certain teams in that era ?

If you're referring to man city and spurs, in both 07/08 and 08/09 they both finished nowhere.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #1317 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:50 PM »
Twitter rumours of a medical on Wednesday

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1318 on: June 10, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »
Twitter rumours of a medical on Wednesday

For who?

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1319 on: June 10, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
Alan Nixon of the S*n (I know) has suggested on Twitter that we're interested in Gomez. If it's true (I know) then it bodes well even if the player is destined for a club higher up the food chain, given that we clearly will spend money for the right signing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal