collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:16:08 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909739 times)

Offline Londonvilla

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #1245 on: June 09, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (6)

Why do people post that we should make a cheek y bid for players? The only times this works is when you are bidding for something on eBay. It certainly should not be our approach to transfers.

It may be more appropriate to say something like “test their resolve by submitting a bid” or ‘ test the water’
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:31:24 PM by Londonvilla »

Offline supertom

« Reply #1246 on: June 09, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (3)

People keep asking why Brentford have not been promoted if they have such a good side. The answers to the question seems to be that they have a really good first 11 but no strength in depth and as a result on their day there is good as anybody, but a few injuries mean that they are unable to compete. This is why they are building a new stadium to increase their income and to improve their squad strength.

It's also a curse of their buy low sell high mantra (which of course, purely for survival is more than understandable). They get close and when the following season comes and they need to progress to the level of being able to sustain a top 6 push, they've inevitably lost a couple of their better players. It's the sad reality of being a club that size in the Championship, and needing to be compliant with FFP. However, their some luck (with injuries etc) away from being a playoff side. And I'd like to see them do it to be fair.

Offline mike

« Reply #1247 on: June 09, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
I think they will invest prudently in a Lambert but better way in the  summer and, if we’re looking shaky in January, they will spend a lot of wedge if they think it can keep us up.

Stay up this year and they’ll spend more next year and maybe go for more proven players.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1248 on: June 09, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
One factor that I'm sure Dean Smith is considering when he looks at targets is how they would effect our wage structure. Our strength last season was an united squad, the last thing he needs is disgruntled players complaining over money. It will be a fine balancing act but a job he's more than up to.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1249 on: June 09, 2019, 02:52:23 PM »
LV, agree with much of what you said regarding transfer model. Important for me is that our footballing philosphy and set up works in line with our transfer model. I think our transfer model this summer, in many ways is going to be like the one we saw under Lambert and Sherwood combined. It'll be largely young and hungry and carefully scouted foreign players. Smith like many managers will undoubtedly seek players he already knows too (Jota for one).

IF manager, scouts and our board are all working under a clear plan (which for the first time in over decade I believe they are) then it should hopefully work.
In theory Lamberts first summer could have worked better. For a time we actually got some joy from some of his signings. There was potential. Lowton, Westwood and Benteke in particular. The problem was of course that Lamberk didn't have an idea of how he wanted the club to play, and among we'd changed too much too soon after McLeish's anti-football. From seeds of promise at the tail end of his first season, we regressed because supplementing the right kind of experience among those 'moneyball' players was where he failed. Where top pros like Whelan, Jedi, of that ilk may have benefitted, we were signing Richardson, Cole etc.

The signings Sherwood oversaw, again, in principal could have worked. It's no surprise Amavi, Gueye and Veretout seem to have developed. But then what experience did we supplement that with? Lescott, Richards. And did those players fit in with Sherwoods 'style' of play? Nope. Again the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. In Timmy's case, the right hand had its thumb up his arse.

We then tried blindly cherry picking the championships best for 'name your price', price tags after relegation. Lazy hiring a manager because he'd won the champions league. Then lazily replacing him with Bruce (who gaurantees absolutely nothing more than ship steadying and honest to goodness, getting by in the short term).

So yeah, in footballing terms, Smith is in. He'll try and inject youth in the side. He'll try to get us playing a consistent way, which will be progressive. It may work, it may not, but I would think that we've now got a board in place that will actually take what he's done and hire a manager who could develop and improve (should he go). We need to stop tearing it up and starting again. Every managerial change has brought with it a complete scrap of that 'plan.' Generally development in theory, is lazily replaced with a 'stop the rot, shit em up' dinosaur type. For Houllier we replace with McLeish. For Lambert we replace with the simplicity of Sherwood. RDM was never particularly looking like he had a long term plan, but that didn't work and we went back in time with Bruce.

So with how Smith wants to play, and how the club wants to progress over the next 5 years, we need to be consistent. Liverpool have done this. Man City have done this. Chelsea don't particularly do this, and despite winning things, they tend to be wildly inconsistent now. Man Utd are now essentially repeating much of what we were doing, which is why they're miles off being what they were.

I think Purslow et al have a plan, so I'm confident we'll get this window right.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1250 on: June 09, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
Not having a pop at you supertom because so many people say the same thing but I hate the phrases 'footballing philosophy' and 'young and hungry'.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1251 on: June 09, 2019, 02:56:30 PM »
Not having a pop at you supertom because so many people say the same thing but I hate the phrases 'footballing philosophy' and 'young and hungry'.
'At the end of the day' you're entitled to your opinion.
:D

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1252 on: June 09, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »
Good points London Villan but you were a bit grumpy about them.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1253 on: June 09, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »

Footballing philosophy is horrific yes. Almost as bad as the 'football is a simple game' stuff from the other end. Or possibly 'football's all about opinions' is the worst.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:05:31 PM by Monty »

Offline kieron

« Reply #1254 on: June 09, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
It's a funny old game.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1255 on: June 09, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »
Football philosophy that passing backwards from a goal kick is a shit*

*TM TSM2

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1256 on: June 09, 2019, 05:06:07 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (3)

People keep asking why Brentford have not been promoted if they have such a good side. The answers to the question seems to be that they have a really good first 11 but no strength in depth and as a result on their day there is good as anybody, but a few injuries mean that they are unable to compete. This is why they are building a new stadium to increase their income and to improve their squad strength.

Apparently we are after their winger/striker Said Benrahma, who was one of only four Championship players last season to achieve double figures regarding both goals and assists. He is apparently also known by the grand title of 'The Pearl Of Algerian Football'. Unfortunately my lack of in depth knowledge of Algerian football means I am not sure how big a claim to fame that actually is.

If we do sign him, we must hope that he doesn't clam up. 

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #1257 on: June 09, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »

It's also a curse of their buy low sell high mantra (which of course, purely for survival is more than understandable). They get close and when the following season comes and they need to progress to the level of being able to sustain a top 6 push, they've inevitably lost a couple of their better players. It's the sad reality of being a club that size in the Championship, and needing to be compliant with FFP. However, their some luck (with injuries etc) away from being a playoff side. And I'd like to see them do it to be fair.

Also worth mentioning they struggle to hold on to Managers as well as players!

Offline supertom

« Reply #1258 on: June 09, 2019, 06:22:10 PM »

Also worth mentioning they struggle to hold on to Managers as well as players!
Well, you can't fight the big clubs. ;)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1259 on: June 09, 2019, 06:40:34 PM »

Apparently we are after their winger/striker Said Benrahma, who was one of only four Championship players last season to achieve double figures regarding both goals and assists. He is apparently also known by the grand title of 'The Pearl Of Algerian Football'. Unfortunately my lack of in depth knowledge of Algerian football means I am not sure how big a claim to fame that actually is.

If we do sign him, we must hope that he doesn't clam up. 
I'm sure he has true grit

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal