collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910183 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #1230 on: June 09, 2019, 10:59:56 AM »
They play the right kind of football.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #1231 on: June 09, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »
Any business with Brentford should include a return of Hogan at the price we paid. That would be a very satisfactory outcome.

Great idea but they're not that daft unfortunately.  Their whole club ethos is to pluck the likes of Hogan and sell him on to mugs like Fistface/Wyness for an inflated sum, so they're hardly likely to buy him back when they can just repeat the process with someone else.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1232 on: June 09, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
Any business with Brentford should include a return of Hogan at the price we paid. That would be a very satisfactory outcome.

Great idea but they're not that daft unfortunately.  Their whole club ethos is to pluck the likes of Hogan and sell him on to mugs like Fistface/Wyness for an inflated sum, so they're hardly likely to buy him back when they can just repeat the process with someone else.
More realistically, if they want Scott in PX I'm sure he'd be able to recapture some form with Brentford. The Championship is his level.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #1233 on: June 09, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
Seeing reports of Todd Kane on a possible free transfer from Chelsea. Spent last season on loan at Hull City. Don't know anything about him, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1234 on: June 09, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
Seeing reports of Todd Kane on a possible free transfer from Chelsea. Spent last season on loan at Hull City. Don't know anything about him, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
On a free?  Why not.  Never heard of him mind.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #1235 on: June 09, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
On a free?  Why not.  Never heard of him mind.
https://ninetyminutesonline.com/report-aston-villa-eye-25-year-old-attracted-by-his-versatility/

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1236 on: June 09, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »
We have been linked with -

Neil Maupay of Brentford
Charlie Austin of Southampton
Harry Wilson of Liverpool
Kemar Roofe of Leeds
Maxi Gomez of Celta Vigo
James Justin of Luton.
Said Benrahma of Brentford

And that was just on the Birmingham Mail website!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:03:48 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1237 on: June 09, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »

More realistically, if they want Scott in PX I'm sure he'd be able to recapture some form with Brentford. The Championship is his level.

I was thinking along those lines. Some of these reputedly better players who will have inflated values can achieve that value in a part exchange. It obviously means Hogan is valued around £10 million for that to happen. In reality he’s £3 - 5 million and their value of whoever is actually half whatever amount they’re after too.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1238 on: June 09, 2019, 02:10:09 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (1)

Sustainability needs to be at the core of any transfer activities which means that the same way that we had two plans (one for staying in the championship and one for going up to the premiership) we need to ensure that we do not gamble in this transfer window. Tony Xia and Keith Wyness gambled on Steve Bruce getting us up, and as a result, we could have gone into administration.

This could have meant us ending up in the 3rd tier or going out of business.

Whether we like it or not we are not yet in a position where we can purchase the finished articles, and as a result, we are going to have to buy players that we can improve which means that if the worst happens, they will have resale value.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1239 on: June 09, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (2)

There different models of transfer behaviour in the premiership.

Man U, Man city, model which is to buy what you want when you want.

The Liverpool, Southampton model of by players but do not be afraid to sell your best players if someone comes in with stupid money. (Luis Suarez, Coutinho Luke Shaw, Alex oxalate Chamberlain Gareth Bale, Virgil van Dyke) and trust that your manager and scouting team can replace them.

The Crystal Palace, Burnley, Watford model of growing within your means because you have a small fan base and small stadium and as a result try to pick up one marquee player per season. Plus hold on to your best players even if they want to go.

The West ham model of buy overpriced players who look good on You tube.

The Tottenham model and try to secure the best young talent (even if they are from the championship) and sell them if they do not make the grade.

The Chelsea model (I know they have an embargo) which was to hoover up as many of the best young talent across the world with no intention of ever playing them in your first team. Buying ready-made players and selling on the young players after they have proven themselves on loan.

The Arsenal model, which in recent years seems to consist of buying players with potential at high prices and finding that they have no resale value. Combined with holding onto players until they reached the last year of their contract and then selling them for pennies or letting them walk away for free.

The model we should consider is Tottenham’s model for the next 2 seasons as this will mean our total income will be £300 million (including parachute payments) as this would be the most cautious approach and ensure that we do not run into FFP problems if we are relegated. Going forward, we need to look at the Liverpool model where they have not been afraid to tie up their best players on long contracts and sell them if someone comes in with huge bids. That money is then reinvested into the team.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1240 on: June 09, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (3)

People keep asking why Brentford have not been promoted if they have such a good side. The answers to the question seems to be that they have a really good first 11 but no strength in depth and as a result on their day there is good as anybody, but a few injuries mean that they are unable to compete. This is why they are building a new stadium to increase their income and to improve their squad strength.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1241 on: June 09, 2019, 02:21:45 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (4)

I am confused about why people are impatient regarding our transfer situation most of the football world is on holiday. I expect us to confirm all bar 2 of our loan players in the next 2 weeks (when the players start coming back from holiday) and then we should see some free agents come into the club as we need squad players this would then be followed by younger future stars as well as players we have never heard of with potential and right at the end of the transfer window I expect 1 or 2 marquee names so that everybody realises that the Villa are back.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #1242 on: June 09, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (5)

Why do people who do not enjoy transfer speculation feel it necessary to log onto forums and make comments criticising speculation? If you only want to know when we have confirmed signings, then you should probably stick to Aston Villa’s official Twitter feed.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1243 on: June 09, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »
Having read through the transfer speculation, I have a number of observations, (3)

People keep asking why Brentford have not been promoted if they have such a good side. The answers to the question seems to be that they have a really good first 11 but no strength in depth and as a result on their day there is good as anybody, but a few injuries mean that they are unable to compete. This is why they are building a new stadium to increase their income and to improve their squad strength.

Apparently we are after their winger/striker Said Benrahma, who was one of only four Championship players last season to achieve double figures regarding both goals and assists. He is apparently also known by the grand title of 'The Pearl Of Algerian Football'. Unfortunately my lack of in depth knowledge of Algerian football means I am not sure how big a claim to fame that actually is.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1244 on: June 09, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
I see the Villatransfers guy is back on Twitter.....Good to see as he's usually on the money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal