collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910465 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #975 on: June 05, 2019, 12:42:12 AM »
I have a concern that under Lamberk the thought was "fill your squad with championship / league 1 grade players and you will eventually end up there"

I'm all for young and hungry but I also think it needs blending with some premiership experience.

Shelvey from Newcastle anyone?

I agree to some extent, but we are looking at having to build a new squad due to the number of departing players.  We should be looking at bringing in a number of players who will be pencilled in as starters and I would hope those players will be of a certain quality. Left back, defensive midfield, striker and wide forward would be positions I would like to see significant investment in.   

We do have a few holes in the squad now though and I don’t think we would be able to afford to bring in a high number of top players. 

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #976 on: June 05, 2019, 06:36:58 AM »
It's definitely  concern. We need 10 to 12 new players. If we're going down the younger player route, that means many will be championship or lesser known foreign players

Having said that, the likes of Maupay, Lolley, etc are top end championship players

Bennett, Westwood, bowery, Lowton and then bacuna, helenius, tonev were more bargain basement than I imagine we're looking at

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #977 on: June 05, 2019, 06:38:11 AM »
Can we not start signing players who are megastars now, rather than those that have "potential"?

As for Shelvey, fuck no.

If you appoint Dean Smith I thibk it's obvious which route you're going down

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #978 on: June 05, 2019, 06:46:17 AM »
Surprised we haven’t gone back for Fer as he’s on a free. Not a massive fan of him but he could bolster the he squad a little and Smith obviously likes him.

Chalobah and Fer to replace Jedinak and Whelan seems like an obvious move

Online nigel

« Reply #979 on: June 05, 2019, 06:56:01 AM »
It's definitely  concern. We need 10 to 12 new players. If we're going down the younger player route, that means many will be championship or lesser known foreign players

Having said that, the likes of Maupay, Lolley, etc are top end championship players

Bennett, Westwood, bowery, Lowton and then bacuna, helenius, tonev were more bargain basement than I imagine we're looking at

These four would have been perfect for our three years in the championship, rather than thrown in at the deep end with a struggling premiership team. They would have gained confidence and, I'm sure, would have become very good players for us. 

Offline liam

« Reply #980 on: June 05, 2019, 07:39:38 AM »
Fully Agree - you could tell Bennet had some quality on the ball, but confidence was shot at the end, i remember Chelsea at home and he started well, one mistake which let them in and he just didnt want the ball. But the 2 games against Cardiff last year i thought he looked good, got forward and put some good balls in

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #981 on: June 05, 2019, 07:43:26 AM »

These four would have been perfect for our three years in the championship, rather than thrown in at the deep end with a struggling premiership team. They would have gained confidence and, I'm sure, would have become very good players for us. 

And Westwood player of the season at Burnley last season too

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #982 on: June 05, 2019, 08:00:19 AM »
Sorry but whatever Westwood does, I still don't see it.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #983 on: June 05, 2019, 08:02:25 AM »
I do

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #984 on: June 05, 2019, 08:10:07 AM »
Dwight Gale was on my flight back to brum last night. A proven goalscorer in the championship, but I was surprised by his height (only about 5'7" or 5'8"). Didn't come across as a main striker in the prem where most teams only play with 1 up front, seemed ideal maybe playing off a frontman in a 442  Better chance of this happening in the championship rather than the prem.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #985 on: June 05, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »

Do we have to point it out ? ;)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #986 on: June 05, 2019, 08:51:06 AM »
Can we not start signing players who are megastars now, rather than those that have "potential"?

As for Shelvey, fuck no.

If you appoint Dean Smith I thibk it's obvious which route you're going down

Well, not really as he has never managed a club with shitloads of cash to spend before.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #987 on: June 05, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
Surprised we haven’t gone back for Fer as he’s on a free. Not a massive fan of him but he could bolster the he squad a little and Smith obviously likes him.

Didn’t Fer fail a medical in Jan? He was at best a squad signing in the Championship, can’t see Dean wanting him for Prem

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #988 on: June 05, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »

Didn’t Fer fail a medical in Jan? He was at best a squad signing in the Championship, can’t see Dean wanting him for Prem

I thought it was that their chairman (Huw Jenkins??) pulled the plug on the deal at the last minute (as he did with the Daniel James to Leeds move) because of all of the criticism he was getting from the Swansea supporters?

If he's fit, I agree he'd be a good option in the squad, but feel he's probably more likely to chase a higher salary in Turkey, or somewhere like that.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #989 on: June 05, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »

I thought it was that their chairman (Huw Jenkins??) pulled the plug on the deal at the last minute (as he did with the Daniel James to Leeds move) because of all of the criticism he was getting from the Swansea supporters?

If he's fit, I agree he'd be a good option in the squad, but feel he's probably more likely to chase a higher salary in Turkey, or somewhere like that.

He played one more game this season after we bid for him, at the end of April, therefore he was injured and we dodged a bullet. Well done the medical team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal