collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910019 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #825 on: June 02, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »
I hope what we are trying to achieve in our transfer deals is sustainability,taking the club forward year after year.It makes sense to reduce the age of the squad and  buy younger  quality players on sensible wages who we can sell on if  some of them become surplus to requirements ,rather than subsidising their wages  at another club as we have had to do too often in the recent past.
That said,it would be churlish not to take advantage of the free transfer market if it means that we can acquire excellent players like Cahill and Milner.
In a similar vein ,would Joe Hart be a good purchase,relatively young for a keeper at 32 ?

Joe Hart isn't good enough for Burnley. No thanks.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #826 on: June 02, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
From our 2015 intake Amavi and Gana would walk back into our team, DM and left back are serious positions we need to upgrade.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #827 on: June 02, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
If one of these megabuck players said I really want to play for Aston Villa and prepared to take be flexible around terms then I am sure Smith would be interested. As opposed to hiding behind an agent and acting like they will be doing us a favor by signing.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #828 on: June 02, 2019, 02:33:56 PM »
Guys, Milner doesn't 'hold his own' and neither does Cahill (though he is rather diminished) - like Delph, they're on monster contracts at Champions League clubs. By all means let's focus on them as players rather than on their Villa connections - without the latter, what do we think would compel them to come to Villa next season?

And in addition, this is Steve Bruce thinking. Buy them ready made, good to have around the place, don't need any coaching, you have to pay top dollar for lads like that etc etc. That isn't us anymore.

Exactly. Let's play to our strengths, which appear to be coaching rather than bottomless resources.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #829 on: June 02, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
Leave the relics in their place. We go forward not backwards.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #830 on: June 02, 2019, 02:53:52 PM »
Some talk this morning of us being after a new keeper. I can only see that happening if Steer falls short of the incredible standards he has set himself. With Kalinic and Nyland on the books I don’t think it is at all a priority. I believe Dean will give Steer every chance to succeed.

Offline danno

« Reply #831 on: June 02, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
Are there any players worth going for out of the relegated sides? Saw the Cardiff GK mentioned earlier, think I'd decline their left back though!

Online john2710

« Reply #832 on: June 02, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »
The Cardiff keeper would be a good shout, defensive stability comes from having a sound keeper. I don't think any of the three we have are dependable.  It's harsh on Steer but that's life....

Offline Damo70

« Reply #833 on: June 02, 2019, 04:01:04 PM »
The Cardiff keeper impressed me a lot last season to be fair. Although I do rate Steer.

Transfer rumour of the day regarding us today appears to be Rangers' James Tavernier.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #834 on: June 02, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »
Smith spent £7m on Kalinic. It would be very odd if he gave up on him so fast?!

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #835 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:43 PM »
I've lost track here folks. How many have we let go so far and were they all out of contract ?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #836 on: June 02, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »
Smith spent £7m on Kalinic. It would be very odd if he gave up on him so fast?!

I get the feeling he didn't like Lovre deciding to go off at half time v West Brom. Wasn't a big injury or anything as he was back on the bench at Stoke the next weekend.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #837 on: June 02, 2019, 04:54:06 PM »
He had a concussion. There’s a protocol to follow and they would have followed it. And had he gone back on and it had got worse or he’d made mistakes he’d have been criticized for it. I can’t imagine Dean Smith holding that against him. Then after that he got that knee injury which allowed Steer to cement the position.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:55:53 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #838 on: June 02, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
From our 2015 intake Amavi and Gana would walk back into our team, DM and left back are serious positions we need to upgrade.

I don't want any of the players in that shitehwak Villa team that go relegated coming back thanks very much.  That really was the worst team I can remember - utterly bereft of anything likeable.   

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #839 on: June 02, 2019, 05:30:22 PM »
And no more yellow away kits. Nothing screamed cowards more than that Villa team embarrassing the club in those colours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal