collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909921 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #750 on: June 01, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
Most news outlets saying Jota has signed for four million with Gardner going to Small Heath. Some stories about Maupay being the next one in.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #751 on: June 01, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »
I feel assured by this current regime that in letting Whelan in particular go, that homework has been done and an adequate/upgrade has been sourced and is in the queue just waiting to sign.  I feel sure that the scattergun approach to transfer activity is a thing of the past.  Transfers will be players that fit the style and character required of Smith's teams. Long may it continue.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #752 on: June 01, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
I feel assured by this current regime that in letting Whelan in particular go, that homework has been done and an adequate/upgrade has been sourced and is in the queue just waiting to sign.  I feel sure that the scattergun approach to transfer activity is a thing of the past.  Transfers will be players that fit the style and character required of Smith's teams. Long may it continue.

Yep. I feel more optimistic and excited about this summer than any for a long time. I have a slight feeling of that summer under Brian Little as a kid where every time I got home and switched on teletext we had a new exciting signing, not necessarily a big name, but someone interesting. Was it Savo, Draper and Southgate all within a couple of weeks or something like that?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #753 on: June 01, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »
Whelan? Nah.

Did a decent job when called on, but it's clear that we're moving on and there's no room for sentiment when your next priority is Premier League survival.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #754 on: June 01, 2019, 04:24:11 PM »
That little lot must free up £400/£500k per week.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #755 on: June 01, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
I agree that this has all been planned well in advance. I'd even imagine there was a Plan A: we get promoted; Plan B: we don't.

Whilst it might not necessarily pan out, I get the sense that the club want the first team squad all in place by the time pre-season training begins.

Offline danno

« Reply #756 on: June 01, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »
Whelan? Nah.

Did a decent job when called on, but it's clear that we're moving on and there's no room for sentiment when your next priority is Premier League survival.

Thought he'd perhaps done enough, but Stoke decided his premier league days were over two years ago.

Another factor in all these releases to consider, is that none of them are Dean Smith's players. It just sometimes seemed like they were because of what a great job he did with them.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #757 on: June 01, 2019, 04:29:30 PM »
I'd rather have a right-footed Tyrone Mings than Cahill...and this is a little contentious, but I have no interest in Axel as our starting right-sided central defender. He is quick and great on the floor (except in the Derby box at Wembley !) but he does not dominate in the air. He may be able to improve, but I wouldn't trust him at PL level in our first season back.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #758 on: June 01, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
Regarding the plan A and B thing.  During the interview with Deano and Purslow, they stated that there were two plans drawn up for two different secnario's to facilitate whatever division we would be playing in.  Over the last twelve months this club has been dragged into the twenty-first century.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #759 on: June 01, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
Thank god we don't have to see Plan B in action.  At the very least, it would have had selling Jack and not keeping Mings at its core.

Offline achilles

« Reply #760 on: June 01, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »
I'd rather have a right-footed Tyrone Mings than Cahill...and this is a little contentious, but I have no interest in Axel as our starting right-sided central defender. He is quick and great on the floor (except in the Derby box at Wembley !) but he does not dominate in the air. He may be able to improve, but I wouldn't trust him at PL level in our first season back.

Axel will become a great defender, still a bit inexperienced but has pace, composure and can play although probably needs to bulk up a little bit, no hesitation in buying/loaning him. Cahill I don't have a problem with under the right wages for a two year spell.   

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #761 on: June 01, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »
Most news outlets saying Jota has signed for four million ...
Whilst his Blues days weren't very productive, his record at Brentford was impressive - 23 goals in 69 games.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #762 on: June 01, 2019, 04:52:34 PM »
I'm OK with Jota, having a core of players who have done the business for Smith in the past and understand his way of working helps us build the squad with the right attitude, etc.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #763 on: June 01, 2019, 05:50:18 PM »
Our final memories of Whelan will be really positive. Had he stayed another year at PL level they wouldn’t have been. It’s right to let him go.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #764 on: June 01, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
Still no official confirmation of Jota signing?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal