collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910224 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #570 on: May 30, 2019, 09:28:48 PM »
Harry Arter apparently linked by the Irish Independent. I know the name but I know nothing about him.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #571 on: May 30, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
I'd have Delph back if he's available.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #572 on: May 30, 2019, 09:38:36 PM »
Arter, Whelan and Hourihane in midfield? No thanks, its hard enough watching them for Ireland.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #573 on: May 30, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
Arter, Whelan and Hourihane in midfield? No thanks, its hard enough watching them for Ireland.

To be fair, from the quote I saw on Twitter, the article said that Stoke and Fulham want him, but he'd be interested in coming to Villa.

I guess that's similar to my choice of dinner this evening being between a halloumi salad or spaghetti carbonara, but, truth be told, I'd be interested in a night on the tiles with Keith Richards circa 1980. I had the salad.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #574 on: May 30, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
I think Smith will want to avoid lots of changes if he can help it to preserve the spirit and momentum.

Shift those that have barely featured, or at the end of their contracts or not likely to be involved in the PL (Taylor), then secure those that were on loan this season that have performed well either on a permanent deal or another loan (Tuanzebe).

I would keep Tammy (if we have a choice) on a loan or for a sensible fee/wages though I might be tempted to play him as a wide forward rather than central striker/goalscorer. He claims it is his best position.

A bit like how we have used Kodjia, though a more regular starter (and assuming we move Kodjia on). Would also welcome Lolley if Smith and scouts think he adds quality and competition.

Not interested in Delph, Cahill, Young, or Beneteke - though I loved them all during their time at Villa (Though Delph made a real mess of his departure).

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #575 on: May 30, 2019, 09:59:23 PM »
I don't think we will go in for Cahill, not if we are lowering the overall age of the squad.  I know he's a freebie but can't see it coming off.

Online Clampy

« Reply #576 on: May 30, 2019, 10:09:23 PM »
I wonder if Smith would  want to work with Jota again. Not sure what position he plays though.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #577 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:00 PM »
With all this talk about old boys who could come back and do a job, I note that Stewart Downing has been released by Boro...

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #578 on: May 30, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
Kid can't hit a barn door though. He needs to go somewhere that he literally gets spoonfed chances to learn how to finish.

He's not that type of striker, he's a holder and someone who can create space for others. I'm not on about him being number 1 striker so that will be the one who will hopefully get 10-15 for us and keep us ticking over.

Wasn't the premier league top scorer on 21 goals last season? So you're talking about the elite ones barely getting over 20 now.

In any case I'd like to think the midfield can chip in with goals like they did in the championship.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #579 on: May 30, 2019, 10:46:59 PM »
I wonder if Smith would  want to work with Jota again. Not sure what position he plays though.

You are joking! He is pants

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #580 on: May 30, 2019, 10:47:20 PM »
No reason apart from I thought it was interesting to look back at, our lineup for the first game we had at Sheff Weds

Gollini
Hutton
Elphick
Baker
Cissokho
Bacuna
Gardner
Westwood
Ayew
McCormack
Gestede

Substitutes
Richards
Okore
Tshibola
Green
Amavi
Bunn
Grealish

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #581 on: May 30, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
I'd have Delph back if he's available.

Please no

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #582 on: May 30, 2019, 10:49:51 PM »
I'm really unsure about Maupay but I don't know what the options are really. The problem with football at the moment is that you have 10-15 clubs across Europe who are trying to sign any kid that looks capable of being a good player so all the 18-22 year old strikers who've hit double figures get linked with £50m moves to clubs like Real, Barca, Liverpool, Man City, etc.

Just find a decent one in europe is all we have to do. A Seb Haller at Frankfurt, a Ben Yedder at Sevilla. Wolves found Raul Jimenez from Benfica reserves after all. Frankfurt did pretty well picking up Jovic from there aswell given they're selling him to Real Madrid for 50m after one season.

It's a big wide world and we have the Spanish guy overseeing the scouting so I fully expect a decent foreign player or two to come in like El Ghazi last summer. Just going after domestic players is all a bit MON e.g. different era.

If we have to go for domestic option I wouldn't be against Rondon coming in. Did very well for Newcastle last year although guess he's waiting to see if their takeover happens.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #583 on: May 30, 2019, 10:53:12 PM »
Maupay and Lolley would be a good start to this window. Sign-up Mings, Hause, El Ghazi and Tuanzebe then that'll have been a decent August window

That to me is the minimum to stand still, we need more

Tiernay , Drinkwater and Saïd Benrahma as well

Would stay well away from Drinkwater. Issues off the pitch and hasn't played for a year which is very similar to Sidwell when he joined us. Players lose a bit of desire when they've been in that situation.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #584 on: May 30, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »
Daily Mail reporting we are under a soft transfer embargo while the EFL investigates us for possible FFP breach. Wtf?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal