collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909892 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #465 on: May 29, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »
If we cant land Tammy, I think we should have a look at Danny Wellbeck. He is a free agent, has plenty of years left in him and has that knack of getting goals at all levels, even if he looks a bit ungainly. Wages might be an issue, but prefer him to Carroll or Benteke myself.

A bit like Sturridge in that I'm sure there's something left in the tank, but with his injury record I'd hope we stay well clear.

How about Sturridge?

May as well get the full list of injury but free signing options out at once.

?? Perhaps my grammar wasn't clear, but I'd be reticent to take a chance on either Welbeck or Sturridge because of their habit of picking up injuries.

I thought you were just comparing him to Sturridge, rather than adding Sturridge in as a suggestion.

So thought I'd explicitly add him to the list of injury prone free transfer options.

For what it's worth I agree, I'd steer clear. I'd probably just consider Kodjia to be our new third choice striker with two others ahead of him.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #466 on: May 29, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »
This is going to sign ridiculous I know x 2..

Andy Carroll been released by West Ham. I'd genuinely take him on a pay as you play deal. Impact sub. I realise this is very much the sort of player we'd be going after if Steve Bruce was still our manager and that Dean Smith is far more sane than I am and won't go anywhere near him, but I'd be quite happy to see him come on in the 82nd minute of games if we're desperate for a goal.
I'd prefer to continue to develop Davis, who I think has plenty of potential to become a vey good striker.

Offline danno

« Reply #467 on: May 29, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Ah OK fair enough, did think it was a case of crossed wires.

I think they all have something to offer (even Carroll) and they are on a free. But with Micah Cole Senderos etc so fresh in the memory it has to be someone else offering them two or three year deals

Online frank black

« Reply #468 on: May 29, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
Phillips from Leeds and Bowen from Hull would give great hope when added to retaining Mings Tuanzebe etc...(I guess Tuanzebe will go back but you never know he may be sent out again).
I imagine a very large lump of cash will go on a striker

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #469 on: May 29, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
Delph? We have a team managed by a Villa fan and captained by a Villa fan who seem to have developed a genuine affinity with the fan base over the last 8 months.

The last thing we need to do is sign somebody who showed the club and its fan base such a complete lack of respect as this snake did last time he was here. I don't care how well he may fit into our midfield, he can sod off and sign for Wolves or some other no mark club.

i think you'll find there were loads of posts similar to yours when we were thinking of signing Terry
people getting very aggravated about someone they didn't like and had major problems with

a few top class performances and its all water under the bridge and the blokes still here
same as it would be if Delph ever came back

Offline john2710

« Reply #470 on: May 29, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »
Personally I think Delph got a lot of unjustified stick. He could have gone for nothing, signed a new contract that gave us a lift when we were at near rock bottom.  Ultimately I think we'd already found his replacement by the time he changed his mind.

You could argue that the £8m release clause was only half his true value but he could have waited & left for nothing.

I wouldn't mind him coming back, but I can't see it somehow.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #471 on: May 29, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »
Fuck no to Delph. That ship has sailed.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #472 on: May 29, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »
We have to learn harsh lessons from the past.

1. Our ability to have players leave for nothing, sell at the right time.
2. Buying players with terrible injury records and thinking we can rehabilitate them.
3. Buying players who have played tiny amount of football for the last few years.
4. Buying players who are on their way down and no longer have the desire and see us as easy street.

I thought Christian made that absolutely clear in his interview. We will have a new, potentially two, new strikers, one of which might be Abraham but the other will not be somebody we know or mentioned on here

Offline jwarry

« Reply #473 on: May 29, 2019, 05:26:06 PM »
It's a double edged sword. We've made Tuanzebe better and benefited from him, but we don't reap the benefits.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't sign Tammy permanently. If we're going to stay up, then we need a centre forward who can score 20 goals in this league and who has pace. That's going to cost £30m and that player isn't Tammy.

Totally agree on Tammy.

I know it sounds a bit cut throat and ruthless but they're going to want 25m and he's not a proven top level player. I don't even think he'd do well in the top flight.

I’m struggling to understand this, the kid is only 21 same age as Davis but has just scored 26 goals for us, he will only get better. I saw him start to bully defenders towards the end of the season.  If you ask me we need to sign Kevin Oghenetega Tamaraebi Bakumo-Abraham now!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #474 on: May 29, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
It's a double edged sword. We've made Tuanzebe better and benefited from him, but we don't reap the benefits.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't sign Tammy permanently. If we're going to stay up, then we need a centre forward who can score 20 goals in this league and who has pace. That's going to cost £30m and that player isn't Tammy.

Totally agree on Tammy.

I know it sounds a bit cut throat and ruthless but they're going to want 25m and he's not a proven top level player. I don't even think he'd do well in the top flight.

I’m struggling to understand this, the kid is only 21 same age as Davis but has just scored 26 goals for us, he will only get better. I saw him start to bully defenders towards the end of the season.  If you ask me we need to sign Kevin Oghenetega Tamaraebi Bakumo-Abraham now!

Because we would be paying top dollar for a striker who has never done it at PL level.

Offline nigel

« Reply #475 on: May 29, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »

Totally agree on Tammy.

Because we would be paying top dollar for a striker who has never done it at PL level.

If he was our player and we hadn't gone up, what price would you put on his head?
When you think Kodja was £15m Hogan £12m (?) £20m - £25m for Tammy would seem to be pretty decent, when you concierge Adams, from the noses, will go for around £20m

Online frank black

« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »
Adams 20 mil, I’d say closer to 10 mil. Tammy would be a reasonably risky signing at the 20mil plus Chelsea would ask. It’s all down to our scouting, but I’d prefer someone with a better first touch.

Offline nigel

« Reply #477 on: May 29, 2019, 06:07:11 PM »
Adams 20 mil, I’d say closer to 10 mil. Tammy would be a reasonably risky signing at the 20mil plus Chelsea would ask. It’s all down to our scouting, but I’d prefer someone with a better first touch.

Not sure how true, but, didn't Southampton offer £15m+ for Adams in January? 

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #478 on: May 29, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
Ok I'll buck the trend.
I like Tammy for his spirit and work ethic as well as the 26 goals but.......

He is a younger Darren Bent in as much as if he is not tapping them in from inside the 18 yard box then there are periods of the game where he is anonymous. We sometimes was like we played with 10 men.
Can't carry players in the top flight and Tammy is no where near the real deal for the Premier.
If he wants to stay (and I feel he wants his chance at chelsea) then he certainly not good enough to be our main goal threat or to lead the line as his all round game is not good enough.

Online GarTomas

« Reply #479 on: May 29, 2019, 06:52:39 PM »
Lolley at 26 - maybe a couple of years too old for us? Given if we see him as a player for the next 2 years or so will his resale value be beneficial when 28/29?

26, too old? Lord.
"you will win nothing with kids" (winky thing)

26 being too old from the perspective off will he improve much above his current standard. And therefore spending that money on someone who’s never played at the top level represents a risk.

I always thought he was 21/22 and at that age the signing would make more sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal