collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909747 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2019, 12:41:28 PM »
While I agree, the players will be different, the positions will be largely similar. Whatever happens we need 2 much more pacey wide forward options, a younger, more athletic holding midfield player that can play a bit, a left back and a player who can either come in for Jack or be sub for Jack when needed.

Online FatSam

« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
Probably not the right thread for this but anyway....when you see Man. City signed Vincent Kompany for 8m in summer 2008 (last few weeks before they got the oil money) it shows the limited approach of MON's buy British policy.

So many hidden gems we could've signed and developed (Falcao and Cavani were young 20 year old strikers we were linked to in that time aswell).

I agree completely, but it's not even just the buy British policy, it's the lack of a transfer strategy beyond what MON and his assistants cooked up. I was looking at Jagielka and Baines at Everton, who both arrived in the same summer 12 years ago, aged in early 20s. Both have gone on to play 300-odd games, and earn 30-odd England caps. Compare and contrast against what we were bringing in at the same time.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »
El Gazhi has said that at least one PL club is interested in signing him - I thought we had a definite option to buy at the end of his loan agreement?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »
Andy van der Meyde branded former club Everton 's***' as he urged Aston Villa star Anwar El Ghazi not to join them.

El Ghazi, who is on a season-long at Villa from Lille, revealed that a number of clubs are interested in signing him this summer.

The Villa winger claimed one of the clubs pursuing him is in the Premier League, but would not reveal which team it was.

Van der Meyde, who was present in the Voetbal Primeur studio as El Ghazi made the admission, advised him to stay well away from Everton.

The Dutchman, who spent four seasons at Everton between 2005-2009, said to El Ghazi, who was speaking to VTBL via facetime: 'Don't do it. What a s*** club. Don't do it! There you go broke. Just look at me.'

Van der Meyde moved to Merseyside after spending two seasons at Inter Milan, but failed to live up to expectations, eventually returning to his homeland with PSV.

He failed to score a single goal for the club and made just 24 appearances for the Toffees in all competitions during his time at Goodison Park.

El Ghazi, meanwhile, is this week preparing for Villa's play-off final against Derby on Monday.

The former Ajax winger has enjoyed a decent end to the season and could find himself in the Premier League with Villa next season with the club reportedly interested in making his move permanent.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
While I agree, the players will be different, the positions will be largely similar. Whatever happens we need 2 much more pacey wide forward options, a younger, more athletic holding midfield player that can play a bit, a left back and a player who can either come in for Jack or be sub for Jack when needed.

Not sure how we will go with the wide options to be honest Jim.  We could look for players who like to tuck in a bit more and leave space outside for full-backs to bomb on.  I have not seen the French lad play, but we will definitely need a better option going forward at LB if we are going to play that way. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2019, 06:16:01 PM »
I’ll be annoyed if El Ghazi leaves at the end of the season.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
I'd be disappointed but not annoyed.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
Yeah perhaps frustrated would be a better word. Although if we go up I hope it’ll be a non issue.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2019, 08:21:26 PM »
I’ll be annoyed if El Ghazi leaves at the end of the season.

Slightly different type of player but I wonder if Jo Lolley would be a better option?  Entirely depends on where we are I guess. Definitely need a holding midfielder, left back and right winger, regardless of which division we are in.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
Probably not the right thread for this but anyway....when you see Man. City signed Vincent Kompany for 8m in summer 2008 (last few weeks before they got the oil money) it shows the limited approach of MON's buy British policy.

So many hidden gems we could've signed and developed (Falcao and Cavani were young 20 year old strikers we were linked to in that time aswell).

If we're up this summer we should now have the people in place in the recruitment side to identify some of these young players in europe who are playing to good standard already.

There's a young Nigeria right winger at Villareal called Samuel Chukwueze who I watched v Real Madrid and Barca and he was brilliant in both games. Sort of player I'd like us to target and sign before one of the top 6 notices him, would be perfect for the prem with his direct play.

afraid some very big fish are already sniffing around him

Offline supertom

« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
Andy van der Meyde branded former club Everton 's***' as he urged Aston Villa star Anwar El Ghazi not to join them.

El Ghazi, who is on a season-long at Villa from Lille, revealed that a number of clubs are interested in signing him this summer.

The Villa winger claimed one of the clubs pursuing him is in the Premier League, but would not reveal which team it was.

Van der Meyde, who was present in the Voetbal Primeur studio as El Ghazi made the admission, advised him to stay well away from Everton.

The Dutchman, who spent four seasons at Everton between 2005-2009, said to El Ghazi, who was speaking to VTBL via facetime: 'Don't do it. What a s*** club. Don't do it! There you go broke. Just look at me.'

Van der Meyde moved to Merseyside after spending two seasons at Inter Milan, but failed to live up to expectations, eventually returning to his homeland with PSV.

He failed to score a single goal for the club and made just 24 appearances for the Toffees in all competitions during his time at Goodison Park.

El Ghazi, meanwhile, is this week preparing for Villa's play-off final against Derby on Monday.

The former Ajax winger has enjoyed a decent end to the season and could find himself in the Premier League with Villa next season with the club reportedly interested in making his move permanent.
I can only imagine the opinion Everton have of Andy Van Der Fat Fucker. lol. Absolute waster. Love it when lazy bastards go to a club and then blame said club for ruining their career. I'd imagine in a couple of years Ross McCormack will be making similarly warnings about us.

All that being said. I hope we sign El Ghazi on a permanent in the summer. I look at the top flight and what we have. If we manage to get Abraham on a permanent and Mings plus Hause (I think Tuanzebe will stay at Utd) then another 5-6 players would give us a good stab at finishing solidly. Below the top 6, honestly it's all much of a muchness. I don't want us to just fire out cash willy nilly and sign too many players. That doesn't work. You need a bit of consistency and a bit of carry over from the team that took you up.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2019, 03:19:10 PM »
He's been offered to clubs throughout Europe apparently - and in other news Terry to Middlesboro as manager doing the rounds.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2019, 06:02:04 PM »
He's been offered to clubs throughout Europe apparently - and in other news Terry to Middlesboro as manager doing the rounds.
Given that Lampard has done a pretty good job at Derby this season, I guess this is no great suurprise; to see another Championship team seeing Terry as a potential manager. The way it goes.

I'd add that we would miss his premier league experience, given he's really the only one with it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 06:47:12 PM by Mister E »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal