collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:52:40 PM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:50:48 PM]

Champions League Contention by KevinGage
[Today at 06:41:37 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:41:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Smirker
[Today at 05:38:49 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by LeeB
[Today at 05:19:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:11:35 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:52:40 PM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:50:48 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:44:08 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:43:13 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by KevinGage
[Today at 06:41:37 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Nunkin1965
[Today at 06:36:20 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 06:30:06 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 06:12:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 915212 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #4500 on: July 23, 2019, 07:26:51 AM »
Well, I don't. 
wanting Maupay has taken on  a life of its own the same way Nzogbia did before we signed him
and that worked out well !!

what’s the difference between Maupay and Hogan ?

I’m only going on the limited bits I’ve seen of him
But like Hogan he’s-

the same size and looks
scored a load of goals for Brentford in the Championship
lots of tap ins and rebounds exactly the same as Hogan
runs around a lot
like Hogan a has a massive reputation based on goal stats over a short period in the championship
is hyped and overrated on a wave social media myth building

I know someone is going to stay he’s a ‘totally different player’ to Hogan because that’s what people always say when they really believe he’s the answer

well I hope your right because he looks a doppelgänger for Hogan to me

I've been pretty much thinking exactly this myself!

I'm not sure that Maupay is what we need, but saying he's like Hogan is a bit like saying Mings is the same as Elphick because they both came from Bournemouth and are central defenders.

I've only seen him in when he's played us and in the obligatory Youtube videos, but he's clearly a much, much better player than Hogan.  On top of his goals he made 8 assists last year, which is not sot something Hogan would manage in 8 seasons, let alone 1.  He's also a lot younger, so will get better.

At the end of the day, if Smith brings him in, I'd trust that he'd know what he was doing over the likes of Bruce who bought Hogan with no thought whatsoever as to how to get the best out of him.  Smith is clearly trying to put all the pieces of a jigsaw together, Bruce went at it with all the finesse of Richard Madeley with a trolley in the wine aisle.

Maupay looked very good against us. Strong, mobile and aggressive. Im sure Hogan had some decent traits but not those three anyway.

Despite Bruce claiming he had scouted him since his Rochdale days, it was clear early on that he didn't suit the other attacking players we had at the time (Kodjia, Grealish et al ). That was a mad transfer window in terms of incomings/outgoings and there was definitely an element of Bruce signing guys who were going well flavour of the month elsewhere (Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury).

Hogan's record at Brentford (not sure about assists) was good, not dissimilar to Maupay's.  I'd bet if we signed Maupay, gave him at most a 6 game run of starts and just pumped high balls up to him to chase after, he'd be just as shot of confidence and ineffective as Hogan has been for us.  The Mings/Elphick comparison doesn't work.   Elphick had a good solid run of games to show what he could do and showed he was full of errors.  I still think a good manager who plays to his strengths and gives him a good chance to establish himself will get a good player out of Hogan.   

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4501 on: July 23, 2019, 08:09:31 AM »
I agree with KT about Hogan (but for me he will never be a Premier league player), I also think the issue for him was, when he joined he played up front with Kodja and he was never going to pass to him, if there was a goal scoring opportunity. Remember just after he signed Hogan was inside the 6 yard box and Kodja only had to pass to him, instead Kodja shot straight at the keeper.

He currently looks as though his confidence is Zero.

But we have him for another 2 years so it will be interesting to see what happens to him (probably another loan, I cannot see another club buying him), and then he will leave on a free transfer, he is not going to give up his £40k a week, and I don't blame him!!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #4502 on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
Hogan would probably suit someone like West Brom if they still had Darren Moore.  His replacement seems to have reverted to Pulis ball so not much use him going there now.  A team that tries to play some football would suit him best, Fulham, maybe Leeds.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4503 on: July 23, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »
We need a Maupay like player and for Hogan to leave on loan or be sold, but I can't see us spending what Brentford would want so if someone comes in, I think it's going to be a cheaper, surprise name we haven't been linked with.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4504 on: July 23, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
Maybe another striker is not a target for us: with AEG, Trezeguet and Jota we have the support for Wesley; perhaps await January.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4505 on: July 23, 2019, 09:46:07 AM »
Another striker is a must.

Offline Londonvilla

« Reply #4506 on: July 23, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »
ASTON VILLA WILL DO A FULHAM? RELEGATION FAVOURITES?

This U-tube video blogger puts a lot of the national press to shame in that her analysis of the Villa (a team she does not support) and her view on Steve Bruce is spot-on.

If you are short of time start at one minute five seconds

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4507 on: July 23, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Listening to Simon Jordan and and a Geordie journalist (don't know his name) on talk sport last night.

Simon Jordan is quite impressed with our transfers, he said they were the right age, and this will give us a sell on transfer fee in the future for them,  and that alot of work had been done by Dean Smith to get the right people into the squad.

He was very complimentary of our owners and of Dean Smith although he did think we may need a goal scorer. He said that our transfer business could not be compared to Fulham's as they were buying players that the Manager did not want, but the owner was taken in by agents representing those players.

The geordie journalist said we would struggle and were no better than Fulham were although he believed we would be more organised, and that may keep us up.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4508 on: July 23, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
ASTON VILLA WILL DO A FULHAM? RELEGATION FAVOURITES?

This U-tube video blogger puts a lot of the national press to shame in that her analysis of the Villa (a team she does not support) and her view on Steve Bruce is spot-on.

If you are short of time start at one minute five seconds

I like her content, she's enthusiastic and generally sensible.

One of her videos covered going to our home match against Small Heath last year as a neutral - well worth a watch.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4509 on: July 23, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »
I think the guy Sid1964 was referring to is Shaun Custis who writes for the Sun. A rabid Newcastle supporter and a knobhead in my opinion, not least for thinking Bruce is still a decent manager, as does Jordan, who I do like.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #4510 on: July 23, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Is it getting to the stage where we are in danger of signing too many?

Example: if we sign Trezeguet and that is believed to be close, do we really need Benrahma as well? Surely not.

And if Douglas Luiz arrives which is imminent, do we really need Marvelous Nakamba too? Surely not.

If those 2 above go through as planned, i'll be more than happy with just a goalkeeper arriving and 1 more centre forward. Butland and Maupay would be my picks.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4511 on: July 23, 2019, 11:23:32 AM »
maybe the thought is that a front three of Benrahma Wesley and Trezeguet would be more than capable of scoring the goals we need? I don't know because I don't have that depth of knowledge, but if that is their thinking then Kodjia as back up to Wes would make sense without bringing in another out and out striker.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4512 on: July 23, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
I think the guy Sid1964 was referring to is Shaun Custis who writes for the Sun. A rabid Newcastle supporter and a knobhead in my opinion, not least for thinking Bruce is still a decent manager, as does Jordan, who I do like.

ive changed my mind on Simon Jordan,
 i used to think he was a bit of twat because of the headlines when he was at Crystal Palace

but listening to him on TS he's actually ok,
 he likes the Villa so that helps but even when i don't agree with him he puts a reasonable case forward and is quite knowledgeable about certain subjects

the only thing i can never understand is his love of Bruce especially the way Bruce walked out on him and the legal spat they had over it

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4513 on: July 23, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
maybe the thought is that a front three of Benrahma Wesley and Trezeguet would be more than capable of scoring the goals we need? I don't know because I don't have that depth of knowledge, but if that is their thinking then Kodjia as back up to Wes would make sense without bringing in another out and out striker.
This was my point a few posts ago ... I'd agree.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4514 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
quite right Mister E you beat me to it and I hadn't read your original, apologies.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal