collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 910054 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #4470 on: July 22, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
While we are at it, can this god-awful trend of referring to players as 'ballers' please stop?  it's up there with 'tekkers' as piss-boilingly annoying.

As you were.

Aye, with you on that. That sort of thing needs to eradicated pronto.

Unless your local team is San Jose Sock Puppets or whatever they're called.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #4471 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:38 PM »
I can see any goalkeeping signing we make going to deadline day. I reckon either Stoke or Burnley or both will crumble with their valuations the longer we wait. Both clubs must want to sell those players given Stoke have already signed a replacement. and Burnley have a player going into his final year of his contract when they already have two very able keepers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4472 on: July 22, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
I would rather not wait. Defenders need time to get to know goalkeepers. I would want one in for at least one preseason game, or else stick with Steer.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #4473 on: July 22, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »
I also would want players in sooner rather than later for those exact same reasons. I'd also be happy for Jed to start the season. However I still do believe Butland is Villa's first choice and it's going to be a case of who blinks first.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4474 on: July 22, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »
I also would want players in sooner rather than later for those exact same reasons. I'd also be happy for Jed to start the season. However I still do believe Butland is Villa's first choice and it's going to be a case of who blinks first.

I agree, I'm not entirely sure he's worth what we'll end up paying (but value in this case is highly subjective anyway) but I suspect Butland will be in the Villa squad before the window closes.

I'd go with Him, Trezeguet, Luiz and possibly a striker as all that's left to be done (and I suspect the Nakamba, Maupay and Heaton links are the backups for 3 of those).

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #4475 on: July 22, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
Well, I don't. 
wanting Maupay has taken on  a life of its own the same way Nzogbia did before we signed him
and that worked out well !!

what’s the difference between Maupay and Hogan ?

I’m only going on the limited bits I’ve seen of him
But like Hogan he’s-

the same size and looks
scored a load of goals for Brentford in the Championship
lots of tap ins and rebounds exactly the same as Hogan
runs around a lot
like Hogan a has a massive reputation based on goal stats over a short period in the championship
is hyped and overrated on a wave social media myth building

I know someone is going to stay he’s a ‘totally different player’ to Hogan because that’s what people always say when they really believe he’s the answer

well I hope your right because he looks a doppelgänger for Hogan to me

I've been pretty much thinking exactly this myself!

I'm not sure that Maupay is what we need, but saying he's like Hogan is a bit like saying Mings is the same as Elphick because they both came from Bournemouth and are central defenders.

I've only seen him in when he's played us and in the obligatory Youtube videos, but he's clearly a much, much better player than Hogan.  On top of his goals he made 8 assists last year, which is not sot something Hogan would manage in 8 seasons, let alone 1.  He's also a lot younger, so will get better.

At the end of the day, if Smith brings him in, I'd trust that he'd know what he was doing over the likes of Bruce who bought Hogan with no thought whatsoever as to how to get the best out of him.  Smith is clearly trying to put all the pieces of a jigsaw together, Bruce went at it with all the finesse of Richard Madeley with a trolley in the wine aisle.
Have to agree with the last assessment.
At the age that Hogan joined the pro ranks at Rochdale,Maupay had played in Ligue 1 and had a prolific season in Ligue 2 ,plus he's quicker and more agressive.
There is nothing wrong with scoring goals from close in,see the careers of Lineker and Gerd Muller.We would be getting a young striker who has represented France at various age groups and has had success in England.
Sounds quality to me.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4476 on: July 22, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »
Well, I don't. 
wanting Maupay has taken on  a life of its own the same way Nzogbia did before we signed him

But like Hogan he’s-

the same size and looks
runs around a lot
like Hogan a has a massive reputation based on goal stats over a short period in the championship

I know someone is going to stay he’s a ‘totally different player’ to Hogan because that’s what people always say when they really believe he’s the answer

I'm not sure that Maupay is what we need, but saying he's like Hogan is a bit like saying Mings is the same as Elphick because they both came from Bournemouth and are central defenders.

I've only seen him in when he's played us and in the obligatory Youtube videos, but he's clearly a much, much better player than Hogan.  On top of his goals he made 8 assists last year, which is not sot something Hogan would manage in 8 seasons, let alone 1.  He's also a lot younger, so will get better.

At the end of the day, if Smith brings him in, I'd trust that he'd know what he was doing over the likes of Bruce who bought Hogan with no thought whatsoever as to how to get the best out of him.  Smith is clearly trying to put all the pieces of a jigsaw together, Bruce went at it with all the finesse of Richard Madeley with a trolley in the wine aisle.

Maupay looked very good against us. Strong, mobile and aggressive. Im sure Hogan had some decent traits but not those three anyway.

Despite Bruce claiming he had scouted him since his Rochdale days, it was clear early on that he didn't suit the other attacking players we had at the time (Kodjia, Grealish et al ). That was a mad transfer window in terms of incomings/outgoings and there was definitely an element of Bruce signing guys who were going well flavour of the month elsewhere (Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury).

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #4477 on: July 22, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
I still think Etheridge would be the best choice for a keeper.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4478 on: July 22, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
Well, I don't. 

But like Hogan he’s-

the same size and looks
runs around a lot

Maupay looked very good against us. Strong, mobile and aggressive. Im sure Hogan had some decent traits but not those three anyway.

Despite Bruce claiming he had scouted him since his Rochdale days, it was clear early on that he didn't suit the other attacking players we had at the time (Kodjia, Grealish et al ). That was a mad transfer window in terms of incomings/outgoings and there was definitely an element of Bruce signing guys who were going well flavour of the month elsewhere (Hogan, Hourihane, Lansbury).

well I hope you guys are right

or we’ll end up with two of the little fuckers running around getting on everyone’s nerves

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4479 on: July 22, 2019, 08:30:34 PM »
Maupay is much better than Hogan but I'm not sure he's good enough for the premier league yet.

Offline KRS

« Reply #4480 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:56 PM »
As others have suggested today, I’m not entirely convinced Maupay is the right player for us either. He’s clearly a good player at Championship level and knows where the back of the net is, but question marks whether he could do it in the Premier League...but no one will ever know that if he’s not given the chance. If we take the risk and it works out then we’ll have a valuable asset, but if he isn’t good enough then it’s a costly mistake.

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #4481 on: July 22, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »
I can see any goalkeeping signing we make going to deadline day. I reckon either Stoke or Burnley or both will crumble with their valuations the longer we wait. Both clubs must want to sell those players given Stoke have already signed a replacement. and Burnley have a player going into his final year of his contract when they already have two very able keepers.

One of the talking heads on Twitter (seems reliable) reckons Villa back now in talks to Stoke re Butland. They will want to sell so seems playing waiting game works if we are the only club in for him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #4482 on: July 22, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4483 on: July 22, 2019, 09:13:49 PM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #4484 on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »
Defender/defensive midfielder/forward, according to Wiki.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal