collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Commercial failings  (Read 49827 times)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Commercial failings
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 10:09:52 PM »
But i agree about the crap service and general chaos in the catering kiosks at Villa Park.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
It's pretty similar at big concerts, other sporting meetings (Cheltenham being a prime example) and such like. Minimum wage, minimum training = minumum effort apart from the odd exception.

Offline Avfcrich82

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 10:19:17 PM »
5live reported Spurs made 800k from food and drink alone at their home game against Palace. Someone needs to be looking at these figures at VP

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:47 PM »
5live reported Spurs made 800k from food and drink alone at their home game against Palace. Someone needs to be looking at these figures at VP

At London prices that probably means they only sold two pints, a cheeseburger and a packet of crisps.

Offline danno

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
I've tried and failed to get something at HT. Seemingly the only way is to miss the last ten minutes of the first half and start queuing.

Maybe the space means it's not practical but a set up like McDonald's or Argos would improve things.  You order/pay in one area then go and collect it.

Even a set up where you can place orders ready for HT would be good. If you limited it to bottled drinks only it would still cater to everyone who just wants a beer.

Smarter people than me work for the club but I'm with the op there's got to be some things they can do.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 10:31:45 PM »
With the closure of so many pubs around the ground the must surely be a opportunity for a well thought out fan park type thing. Sky sports, decent beers, family zones, more ‘lively’ zones, food, seating etc etc

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »

I think I'll retire from this debate as I seem to be simultaneously arguing for and against the idea of football being shit.
Once again I am in complete agreement with your post😊

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »

I think I'll retire from this debate as I seem to be simultaneously arguing for and against the idea of football being shit.

Ha! I am, if nothing else, mercurial.

Online olaftab

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 10:38:31 PM »
With the closure of so many pubs around the ground the must surely be a opportunity for a well thought out fan park type thing. Sky sports, decent beers, family zones, more ‘lively’ zones, food, seating etc etc
You mean like the Holte pub?

Online olaftab

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 10:40:15 PM »

Loads of love😘

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »

Loads of love😘

x

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2019, 10:42:40 PM »
Brighton had it right a couple of years ago - good service, plenty of space and they kept the bars open after the game so you could have a pint before queueing for the phantom Southern train service. I’m amazed we just turf people out within 2 minutes of the final whistle.

Fulham also used to have those roving bottle sellers with backpacks who looked like wannabe ghostbusters.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2019, 10:42:50 PM »
The problem with football grounds was always that they are only used 20-odd days a year and spend the rest of the time empty. Champions League football means Spurs are using their new stadium more frequently than this, and then it will be hosting regular rugby as well as the NFL games. As has been mentioned previously, they have created an environment to entertain people for extended periods before and after games as well.

Villa Park should be developed as the preeminent sport and entertainment venue in the region. I have never considered leaving the site of the current ground, but there are serious drawbacks in terms of access and transport links. Spurs is fairly similar, but Tottenham is the subject of enormous regeneration, bringing higher population density, and all of the infrastructure and amenities that come hand in hand. The master plan for Aston on the other hand is light industrial units and logistics as far as I can see. I wonder whether it would ever be possible to regenerate the area sufficiently, and if the only way to improve the situation would be to move closer to the city centre.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 10:54:48 PM »
I think we are in limbo at the moment re ground redevelopment, but how long will it before one of our  midland neighbours has the foresight to provide a ground with facilities the Midlands deserves?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »
Add me to the list of punters who drink and eat in town pre match, queue for a drink on 40 mins, and stay in the Holte Suite after the game while the traffic goes, only to be asked to leave after an hour (because they want to close up not my behaviour!).

There are so many ways in which Villa could massively increase their matchday revenue, most mentioned in these three pages...but I honestly believe the club don’t give a shit. How can they? I mean, if whoever is responsible for matchday commercial activity believes they are doing a good job, and cannot see how easy it is to hugely improve it then there’s no hope at all. It’s hopeless.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal