collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa 1 Albion 0 April 1981  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Charlie8182

Villa 1 Albion 0 April 1981
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »
Ok it’s the shortest clip ever but it’s the Brendan Batson pass back which you never see on any previews on that season which is strange as it’s a fundamental moment.

https://youtu.be/a7hzUsedBJc

Offline The Left Side

Re: Villa 1 Albion 0 April 1981
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:24:31 PM »
Wow... I've been waiting years to see that, great find.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
Ok it’s the shortest clip ever but it’s the Brendan Batson pass back which you never see on any previews on that season which is strange as it’s a fundamental moment.

https://youtu.be/a7hzUsedBJc

Fair play for digging that one out. Peter Withe loved winning a derby game at Villa Park by latching onto an opposition full backs poor back pass. Ask Brendan and Pat Van Den Hauwe.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:29:51 PM »
Wow.  Great find.  Without that goal I very much doubt we'd have won the league.  Funnily enough, until seeing this footage my recollection was that Withe was left with more time and space than that to execute a lob, but that clip shows him racing on to the back pass and a finish much more instinctive than I remembered it.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:28:53 PM »
Wow.  Great find.  Without that goal I very much doubt we'd have won the league.  Funnily enough, until seeing this footage my recollection was that Withe was left with more time and space than that to execute a lob, but that clip shows him racing on to the back pass and a finish much more instinctive than I remembered it.

I sort of understand what you are saying but remember we finished 4 points clear of Ipswich under the old 2 points for a win system. If you believed Balloonhead Brazil you would think we scraped it on goal difference and that it was morally their title anyway by virtue of their 1-0 win at ours on the run in.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 10:42:53 PM »

I sort of understand what you are saying but remember we finished 4 points clear of Ipswich under the old 2 points for a win system. If you believed Balloonhead Brazil you would think we scraped it on goal difference and that it was morally their title anyway by virtue of their 1-0 win at ours on the run in.

Ipswich won 2-1 at Villa Park. The title was won and lost on the Easter weekend when we beat Forest at Villa Park on the Saturday and drew at Stoke on the Monday. They lost at home to Arsenal on the Saturday and lost at Norwich on the Monday. They then crucially lost away at Boro on the last day of the scheduled season and also lost their game in hand at home to Southampton, which by then was a dead rubber as we had already had our open top bus parade and civic reception by the time that game was played.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 10:42:54 PM »
Remember it well. Great night

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »
Villa Boy on Facebook also posted this video in the last few days

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
Villa Boy on Facebook also posted this video in the last few days

Probably because it's his youtube post as well.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:11 AM »
Brendan Batson and Bosko Jankovic, honorary Lions.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »

We had a couple of teams to thank for helping us go up automatically on the last day in 1988 too. One was Leicester but I can't think of the other one.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »

Ipswich won 2-1 at Villa Park. The title was won and lost on the Easter weekend when we beat Forest at Villa Park on the Saturday and drew at Stoke on the Monday. They lost at home to Arsenal on the Saturday and lost at Norwich on the Monday. They then crucially lost away at Boro on the last day of the scheduled season and also lost their game in hand at home to Southampton, which by then was a dead rubber as we had already had our open top bus parade and civic reception by the time that game was played.
Didn’t they also lose the day we beat Leicester away 4-2 (Aldaniti and Bob Champion won the National the same day) ? may have been at the Albion can’t remember for certain. And IIRC didn’t we win more games than any team in any division that season.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »

We had a couple of teams to thank for helping us go up automatically on the last day in 1988 too. One was Leicester but I can't think of the other one.
Ipswich I think.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »

Ipswich I think.

I think you are right. I think Ipswich beat Boro in a nice twist on 1981 and Leicester beat Bradford, meaning our point at Swindon took us up automatically. Bradford ended on 77 points and Villa and Boro ended on 78 points, both with a goal difference of +27. We went up on goals scored. We scored five more goals than them over the season.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »

Didn’t they also lose the day we beat Leicester away 4-2 (Aldaniti and Bob Champion won the National the same day) ? may have been at the Albion can’t remember for certain. And IIRC didn’t we win more games than any team in any division that season.

I think you are right in saying Ipswich lost at Albion that day. Des Bremner scored for us at Leicester that day and I can't recall him scoring any other goals that season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal