collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Archibald Leitch  (Read 6137 times)

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
Archibald Leitch
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
Died 80yrs ago today. Short Beeb article, although Villa references are a bit light, other than nice piccie of present Holte End.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48028660

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Archibald Leitch
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »
For us football ground bores, this man is a Saint and his influence at our club should never be underestimated.

Part of the allure of our club, it's splendour, dignity and stature within the game not only came from events on the pitch but the magnificence of the Trinity Road Stand, in particular the frontage.

Offline maidstonevillain

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »
Died 80yrs ago today. Short Beeb article, although Villa references are a bit light, other than nice piccie of present Holte End.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48028660

If you follow the link on the Beeb article for the Simon Inglis book, the sample pages shown address Villa Park, although they don't appear to add much to the info given in the recent Villa park thread.

http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/pdf/engineering-archie-140-141.pdf

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
I've got Engineering Archie by Inglis. It's a masterpiece.

I think the book goes for silly money now as well

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
I've got Engineering Archie by Inglis. It's a masterpiece.

I think the book goes for silly money now as well

A book I let someone borrow, not seen it in five years.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:50:54 AM »
https://twitter.com/The_SimonInglis

@The_SimonInglis
 1h1 hour ago

"Archibald Leitch died April 25 1939. Buried East Sheen, London. His sole obituary was 2 lines in journal of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, describing him as a consulting engineer and factory architect. No mention of football."

How many millions of people have must have wonderful moments etched in their memory banks against a Leitch inspired backdrop.

I think I read a story about Simon Inglis (Villa fan and THE authority on football grounds) flying across Europe and his wife asking what country they were over. "Germany" he replied, "right over Frankfurt" as he instantly identified the Eintracht stadium from 30,000 feet.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:04:40 AM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »

@The_SimonInglis
 1h1 hour ago

"Archibald Leitch died April 25 1939. Buried East Sheen, London. His sole obituary was 2 lines in journal of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, describing him as a consulting engineer and factory architect. No mention of football."

How many millions of people have must have wonderful moments etched in their memory banks against a Leitch inspired backdrop.

I think I read a story about Simon Inglis (Villa fan and THE authority on football grounds) flying across Europe and his wife asking what country they were over. "Germany" he replied, "right over Frankfurt" as he instantly identified the Eintracht stadium from 30,000 feet.

Oh yes, whenever I'm flying I am looking out for football grounds, of any size, trying to indentify them. I bought Inglis' first book on football grounds when I was about 15, I couldn't believe there was anyone else as obsessed as I was about grounds. It remains a great interest, but I'm no groundhopper.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:02:11 AM »
I spent a fantastic evening many years ago above a pub in North London listening to Simon Inglis and Richard Whitehead talking about Villa and football grounds. A few others from here were there as well. Nerd heaven.

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »

I've had that top picture framed and on my lounge wall for about the last 15 years.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »
I spent a fantastic evening many years ago above a pub in North London listening to Simon Inglis and Richard Whitehead talking about Villa and football grounds. A few others from here were there as well. Nerd heaven.

It was a great evening wasn’t it. I’ve often wondered if we could do this again?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »

@The_SimonInglis
 1h1 hour ago

Oh yes, whenever I'm flying I am looking out for football grounds, of any size, trying to indentify them. I bought Inglis' first book on football grounds when I was about 15, I couldn't believe there was anyone else as obsessed as I was about grounds. It remains a great interest, but I'm no groundhopper.

I'm exactly the same.  Wherever I go I'm always on the lookout for football grounds, I love to chalk a new one off the list.  Spotting them from the air is a great way to pass a few minutes when coming in to land.  Coming in to Heathrow you get some great views, Brentford especially.

Offline maidstonevillain

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 01:14:39 PM »

@The_SimonInglis
 1h1 hour ago

I'm exactly the same.  Wherever I go I'm always on the lookout for football grounds, I love to chalk a new one off the list.  Spotting them from the air is a great way to pass a few minutes when coming in to land.  Coming in to Heathrow you get some great views, Brentford especially.

And Craven Cottage  often.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 01:21:43 PM »

@The_SimonInglis
 1h1 hour ago

I remember being on holiday in Switzerland with my parents as a kid and the groundsman at Neuchatel Xamax let me have a kickabout on the pitch.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
I remember being on holiday in Switzerland with my parents as a kid and the groundsman at Neuchatel Xamax let me have a kickabout on the pitch.

We climbed over a fence and had a kickabout on the abandoned Bradford Park Avenue pitch. Pretty sure it was before going to watch us win 4-2 at Bradford City in 1987.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal