collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playoffs  (Read 79346 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Playoffs
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »
I'd rest one of them.  There is a benefit to finishing fourth and we should push for it.

If Jack or McGinn (or anyone else for that matter) has a slight knock, by all means rest them.

But they'll get all the rest they need in just over a month's time.

The benefit for finishing 4th instead of 5th is not great.  It simply gives you home advantage in the 2nd leg.  The benefit of resting players after their recent efforts outweighs the benefit of finishing 4th in my humble opinion.  Also, in reality, to finish 4th, we would need to win both of our remaining games.  We could exhaust ourselves further and still have not gained anything.
d

a packed Villa Park in the final leg, maybe the game hanging in the balance would be a massive advantage in my view

I agree with KG keep playing our best team and try and finish above WBA

Just do what we've got to do.  If playing at VP is such an advantage then we'll do it in the 1st leg.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2019, 10:48:15 PM »
I don't want Grealish to be at the mercy of any Leeds cloggers (assuming that they have cloggers).

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2019, 10:57:35 PM »
I'd rest Jack for Leeds and SJM against Norwich if he doesn't get booked against Leeds

So if he does get booked against Leeds, you would play him against Norwich!?

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
Dean’s probably got two possible line ups in his head, depending on how Sandwell get on v Rotherham on the Saturday.
If they lose (unlikely, I know), he might decide to go for it and play his strongest side. If they win, he may as well rest a few.

Yes totally agree

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2019, 11:04:01 PM »
Does finishing 4th or 5th really make that much of a difference?  The way we hit teams on the break, and are playing generally, playing away from home shouldn't be that much of a disadvantage in the first leg.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2019, 11:08:51 PM »
Another little thought to be thrown into the mix:  Leeds aren't guaranteed 3rd place yet.  If WBA win on Saturday, they'll only be 2 points behind Leeds with a game in hand.

Leeds still have a bit of work to do to clinch 3rd place, let alone 2nd.  Their 1st team are hardly pulling up trees currently, I can't see how they can justify resting players.  We have that option.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2019, 11:16:24 PM »
Another little thought to be thrown into the mix:  Leeds aren't guaranteed 3rd place yet.  If WBA win on Saturday, they'll only be 2 points behind Leeds with a game in hand.

Leeds still have a bit of work to do to clinch 3rd place, let alone 2nd.  Their 1st team are hardly pulling up trees currently, I can't see how they can justify resting players.  We have that option.

No, if Baggies win Saturday they'll be 2 points behind Leeds but the latter will have a game in hand plus the freebie of playing Ipswich after us.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2019, 11:19:58 PM »
No, the way the team's capable of playing, being home or away first or second probably won't overly affect the manner of our victory. As a supporter, second leg at home is a huge plus. Watching them leave the pitch having assured Wembley, versus having a further 90 minutes at theirs where only 5% of our support gets to attend? Fuck that shit.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2019, 11:20:18 PM »

No, if Baggies win Saturday they'll be 2 points behind Leeds but the latter will have a game in hand plus the freebie of playing Ipswich after us.

When a team starts to slip in the last few weeks sometimes they can lose to anyone, even a Paul Lambert XI.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2019, 11:24:41 PM »
I think I'd rather play a demoralised Leeds and then whoever emerges from the other tie at Wembley rather than WBA in the semi.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:19 PM »

Sorry, I meant a better goal difference.

The point still stands, ie;  Leeds need results from somewhere.  They cannot afford to gamble on the last game of the season.  They aren't even guaranteed 3rd place as we speak.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2019, 04:10:53 AM »
Went on a couple of the Leeds forums. They are fucking bricking it ahead of their game vs us. They’ve all but given up on automatic promotion and a lot of them seem to have conceded we are the best side in the playoffs.

Offline myf

« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2019, 06:54:06 AM »
I can quite easily foresee Dirty Leeds targetting Grealish and trying to end his season. Save him for the Norwich game when they will be on the beach, so to speak. McGinn has one get out of jail card left to play. If he gets a yellow, substitute him and save him for the play-offs.

agreed. beisla is getting desperate and will do anything to gain a competitive advantage including targeting Grealish and SJM. We do not want to be going into the play offs without either of them.

Also, no harm in giving Lansbury and Davis more game time. If we don't get promoted we could be reliant on them next season...

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »
I can quite easily foresee Dirty Leeds targetting Grealish and trying to end his season. Save him for the Norwich game when they will be on the beach, so to speak. McGinn has one get out of jail card left to play. If he gets a yellow, substitute him and save him for the play-offs.

agreed. beisla is getting desperate and will do anything to gain a competitive advantage including targeting Grealish and SJM. We do not want to be going into the play offs without either of them.

Also, no harm in giving Lansbury and Davis more game time. If we don't get promoted we could be reliant on them next season...

Dear God  :o

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »
I think I'd rather play a demoralised Leeds and then whoever emerges from the other tie at Wembley rather than WBA in the semi.
Agreed however we are not going to finish lower than 5th so let’s trash Leeds and Lambert’s boys play “absolutely brilliant” football to deny them a win on the last day and hopefully Smethwick win both their games to finish third🤔 No the second part of that plan just sounds wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal