collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playoffs  (Read 79351 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Playoffs
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »
Derby or Boro going to be 6th now. Very happy with either. Could cause Leeds some issue and we've been very dominant v both if we can make the final.

I agree - The best 2 teams in the play offs are ourselves & WBA.  You would have to fancy the winner of that game to go on and win at Wembley.

That said, I've a very uncomfortable feeling about having to beat a side 3 times in one season - Especially a top 6 side.  If only we'd have had Deano from the Summer.  We'd be on the beach now.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
I was worried about facing a Fulham side in amazing form and who looked a nightmare match up for us.

I'd still be worried about playing Leeds as they have lots of tricky midfield players and also pressed us very hard at 2-0 down at VP.

I know football is weird and play offs are a lottery and all that but I really wouldn't be having sleepless nights about playing Derby or Boro in a final.

We've sweeped aside both home and away, neither got close to just handling Grealish in any of the 4 games. It's just two match ups I'd be very comfortable with but a fair bit of football to be played before any of that happens.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
A lot of footie to play yet but if we get a bit of luck on top of the attributes we have already in the semi , I’m sure deano will mastermind his sqUad to beat anybody at Wembley . As opposed to last year I think Bruce made us a bit notional-ant.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2019, 05:58:25 PM »
A lot of footie to play yet but if we get a bit of luck on top of the attributes we have already in the semi , I’m sure deano will mastermind his sqUad to beat anybody at Wembley . As opposed to last year I think Bruce made us a bit notional-ant.

SB tried to beat Fulham with the same approach against Boro, it was never liked to work imo especially as our middle two were Jedinak and Hourihane.

This year we have McGinn who makes a huge difference in terms of pressing and everything else he brings.

Would be interested to see which wingers start in play offs. El Ghazi a cert but interested which one of Green/Adomah gets the nod or even the wildcard of playing Kodjia out wide if Tammy is o.k for the play offs.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
Have to say totally forgot about spygate affair aswell, Derby-Leeds will be a very spicy two legs. Can see a red card or two in those games.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
I think Derby can still get 5th.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
I think Derby can still get 5th.

Not if we get a point from our last 2 games they can’t.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
The best 2 teams in the play offs are ourselves.
You can just say 'us'.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »
The best 2 teams in the play offs are us ourselves.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »

Isn't that the English translation of Sinn Fein?

Edir: I mean 'us ourselves'. I don't know if there is an Irish word for playoffs.

Edir Edir: I meant edit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:42:06 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2019, 12:48:43 AM »

Edir: I mean 'us ourselves'. I don't know if there is an Irish word for playoffs.

What we don't want is to meet ourselves coming back.

Eyes on the prize, forward march.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2019, 12:54:14 AM »

I know, but now we've got this whole IRA hot potato that nobody seems to be dealing with.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2019, 01:19:16 AM »

I know, but now we've got this whole IRA hot potato that nobody seems to be dealing with.

As a native of Garrison, County Fermanagh, I prefer to pass that particular potato if poss, although I am partial to a Maris Piper or a King Edward, which I am assured are the flowery varieties. 

A friend from County Donnegal once told be that Fermanagh had great men with spears, but I passed no remarks.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2019, 01:57:36 AM »
Jack, McGinn, Mings and Abraham on bench for Leeds and Norwich. This should keep them mentally tuned. Good substitutes study their potential opponents (left footed, right footed, preferred turn, positioning, weaknesses etc) instead of having a snooze on the bench. Let our training staff keep them physically tuned at Bodymoor Heath.

Give our fringe players some game time and take advantage of the breathing space the excellent winning streak has granted us.

Be plain stupid not to go into the play offs with our strongest and fittest eleven.  :)
players can still get injured in training though Baldy. I seem to recall Deano saying in the Leeds or Millwall  pre-match interview that the players are all pushing each other hard in training, some going ‘nose to nose’ (presume it wasn’t a blues reference).

I’m more thinking now we should just keep trucking along as we have been and see what happens. Really don’t think that he looks past the next game, from what he’s said recently. I fear if we start changing things now, then it could bite us. Maybe rest a couple against Leeds and a couple against Norwich, but near full-strength teams in both games I reckon now is the way to go.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
Jack, McGinn, Mings and Abraham on bench for Leeds and Norwich. This should keep them mentally tuned. Good substitutes study their potential opponents (left footed, right footed, preferred turn, positioning, weaknesses etc) instead of having a snooze on the bench. Let our training staff keep them physically tuned at Bodymoor Heath.

Give our fringe players some game time and take advantage of the breathing space the excellent winning streak has granted us.

Be plain stupid not to go into the play offs with our strongest and fittest eleven.  :)
players can still get injured in training though Baldy. I seem to recall Deano saying in the Leeds or Millwall  pre-match interview that the players are all pushing each other hard in training, some going ‘nose to nose’ (presume it wasn’t a blues reference).

I’m more thinking now we should just keep trucking along as we have been and see what happens. Really don’t think that he looks past the next game, from what he’s said recently. I fear if we start changing things now, then it could bite us. Maybe rest a couple against Leeds and a couple against Norwich, but near full-strength teams in both games I reckon now is the way to go.

I'm with you on this, robbo. There's no point in trying to second-guess a footballing future. Not many of our injured players had got booted into the treatment room by the opposition, it's all seemed to be little niggles and strains, and innocuous knocks of the sort that can just as easily be picked up at Bodymoor.

If you watch the latest training video on YouTube, they're not letting up. They just want to get on with their job, something they're all clearly enjoying these days, and have become very, very good at.

A mere four weeks tomorrow, it'll all be done. Let them off the leash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal