collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Blackburn Rovers Post Match Thread  (Read 18685 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Blackburn Rovers Post Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
An excellent opening hour and then some sloppiness and a drop in our intensity let in Mowbray's percentage football duffers, but we held our nerve and showed we can grind a win out.

Positives

Some of the football first half was outstanding. We ripped them apart time and time again and ought to have been 4 up at half time.

Second half we dominated the chances too.

Mings impresses, as does Whelan.

Jack, El Ghazi and the like had some very neat interplay and it was excellent to watch.

Green was a real handful up until his finally delivery.

Negatives

Green's finally delivery was very poor.

We spurned 5 or 6 excellent chances.

We panicked, dropped too deep, struggled to retain possession as we let their number 4 come deep to dictate things.

As it happened Blacknurn created one effort from open play. The free kick was idiotic from McGinn and Steer flapped. But errors breed errors and our generally play from our 2nd goal was lax.

I wasnt convinced of Jack's fitness and I felt Connor did well when he came on.

All in all I'm very pleased with how we've turned it around. When we tick, nobody in this league can live with us. We're solid at the back now and I'm feeling confident.

Shock result of the day Bruce's Wednesday drawing 0-0 with Stoke. Absolutely shocked. Big 3 games coming up, it would be huge to go into the Bristol game with 66 points on the board.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 05:40:32 PM »
Was Southgate there today? And how did Grealish play?

Have been doing mumsie day stuff to make up for not seeing her tomorrow.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
We should and could have been 4-0 up at the break. Howeever, a few weeks ago we would have folded and not won the game. Amazing first half even though both Jack and SJM were not at their best.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »
Sky highlights

Thanks. If we keep creating chances like that, then we can't go far wrong.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
At this stage of the season with the finishing line in sight, we can only beat what's in front of us, no matter how we do it.  Well done again Villa.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
Only saw the first half due to stream going down, but thought we were brilliant. I’m guessing the second half wasn’t quite the same. Finishing the only fault I can find first half.

The way Jack creates space for himself even when surrounded is the sign of a truly class player. Thought he was absolutely superb apart from one silly flick, maybe trying to impress Southgate? Everyone was good though.

To be fair as well, Blackburn were ok after looking appalling the first 15 minutes. Those weird long corners caused us all sorts of problems!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:15:37 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
Abraham definitely not a top premiership player, Mings could play for West Germany he is that good

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:46:03 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Could and should have been out of sight by half time.
But some of the football we played in that first half was sublime.
Many positives today, including whelan who was superb again.He must be loving football at the moment.
Mings and Hause were excellent and I though Elmo was very solid.
Jack seemed a little subdued to me, but it’s no bad thing because we need to learn to play when he is only 8/10 instead of 10/10.

There were a couple of small negatives for me.
Tammy was wasteful.  His contribution to the game is without question but he just has to be more clinical.
Green. I stand by my previous comments that I just don’t think he has it in him. Whether it’s fear or nerves I don’t know, but he is the one I would drop for the next game.

There were 2 pieces of stand out professionalism were just superb.
The run 100 yard run by McGinn in the last minute to kill time and to win a corner was brilliant.
The other was Mings going down on 85 mins and asking for the trainer when we were under the cosh a little. There was nothing wrong him, but it took the impetus away that Blackburn has built up. It was just so intelligent.

Finally, the reception for JPA and Laursen was just outstanding.

It was a good day.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:45:22 PM by andyh »

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »
I thought Green was good first half, he was beating defenders and had a hand in the first goal. Didn’t see second half tbh, presume he didn’t play well as he came off after 65 odd minutes.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
Very good first half and should really been out of sight at half time.  We kept the ball really well and dictated the tempo throughout the half.  We looked comfortable until they scored, but even then Abraham had a great chance to finish the game off after that.  It then got a bit nervy, but they didn’t really create anything of note. 

Sat in the top of the Holte for the first time in ages and thought the atmosphere was good up there today.  Normally sit in the lower North Stand, so haven’t seen it before, but what is going on with the line of stewards by the away end and a few of our fans sitting the other side of them by the ‘North Stand’ flag?

Good to see JPA and Martin Lauren on the pitch at ht!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 07:23:00 PM »
Well we did our best to chuck away what should have been a routine home win.  First 15 minutes it looked like we would run riot.  Blackburn looked hopeless, and we were playing some lovely stuff.  Disappointing how we handed them the initiative second half.  Midfield seemed to disappear and we were sloppy in possession. 

Positives were some great attacking play and reasonably solid defending.  Green looked good first half but his final ball was poor and he seems reluctant to take on the FB too often.  Tammy scored but also missed his usual sitter.  Loving Mings and Hause at the back, and good to see Taylor, Whelan and El Ghazi looking ten times better than when Jack was out.  Not sure what happened with Steer for the goal, maybe it moved in the air, but it was a stupid free kick for McGinn to give away.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
Could and should have been out of sight by half time.
But some of the football we played in that first half was sublime.
Many positives today, including whelan who was superb again.He must be loving football at the moment.
Mings and Hause were excellent and I though Elmo was very solid.
Jack seemed a little subdued to me, but it’s no bad thing because we need to learn to play when he is only 8/10 instead of 10/10.

There were a couple of small negatives for me.
Tammy was wasteful.  His contribution to the game is without question but he just has to be more clinical.
Green. I stand by my previous comments that I just don’t think he has it in him. Whether it’s fear or nerves I don’t know, but he is the one I would drop for the next game.

There were 2 pieces of stand out professionalism were just superb.
The run 100 yard run by McGinn in the last minute to kill time and to win a corner was brilliant.
The other was Mings going down on 85 mins and asking for the trainer when we were under the cosh a little. There was nothing wrong him, but it took the impetus away that Blackburn has built up. It was just so intelligent.

Finally, the reception for JPA and Laursen was just outstanding.

It was a good day.

This is a good summary of the match today. Agree with almost  every word.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal