collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: how good villa park could have been...  (Read 10167 times)

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: how good villa park could have been...
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 05:38:59 PM »
Villa Park should never be a bowl. It's identity is 4 stands, perhaps joined at the bottom by a few rows like the Trinity and Holte corner. The North and DE should be levelled and rebuilt as 2 tiers. I like the idea of the Holte as single tier, but it would have to be the biggest end stand in the country for me, it's part of the DNA.

I like your vision, but we would have to move grounds for a season, and unlike Sperms and The Aymers, there are no obvious loations for temporary accommodation.

I remember a game against Bradford in PL when Gareth Southgate scored at the height of his disaffection with club, and the ongoing building works meant you could see vast swathes of north Birmingham and beyond.
And another thing about VP. I agree with the other poster that all metal cladding should be removed. We aren't an effing Homebase. All of it should be brick and glorious mosaic detail. And in the corners 4 ruddy great brick towers like castle towers, a true fortress, holding catering, club offices, museum and something else I can't think of. I don't want a modernist masterpiece I want something that has teleported from 1895 built by a megalomaniac who wanted to say this is Aston Villa, you are entering the largest most frightening stadium you will ever lace your boots in.
The towers idea... Look at the Aston Webb building at Birmingham University but imagine sort of 3 times bigger. The whole stadium in that brick and stone style. The architect did the V&A museum and Buckingham Palace but most people accept that Birmingham University (alma mater) is his masterpiece. Imagine the whole ground in that style with nods to Archibald Leitch of course and a large stone plaza in place of the playground at the bottom of Aston Park with statues of Villa legends on plinths.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 08:28:10 PM »

http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/pdf/engineering-archie-140-141.pdf

Gradually, with Frederick Rinder's guidance, the ground was completely overhauled. Much of the credit for the actual design of Villa Park must to go Rinder, who had visualised its eventual appearance from a number of sketches he had made himself and passed on to a well-established architect of the day, E B Holmes.

Rinder's structural ideas originally called for a ground that would hold 130,000 people and, but for the outbreak of World War One, the Villa chairman's ambition would no doubt have been realised, with the creation of the finest stadium in Great Britain. With his plans put on hold during the war, work on Rinder's vision continued in 1918, although his ambitious pre-war schemes were only ever partially developed.

http://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/a_villa_vp.htm

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
The thing that strikes me about the war-interrupted design is how functional the stands look compared to what transpired. Although I've no doubt their sheer magnitude would've made a lasting statement. Imagine those two ends full!

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
The club also massively overspent on it and it caused all sorts of financial problems.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »
Villa Park should never be a bowl. It's identity is 4 stands, perhaps joined at the bottom by a few rows like the Trinity and Holte corner. The North and DE should be levelled and rebuilt as 2 tiers. I like the idea of the Holte as single tier, but it would have to be the biggest end stand in the country for me, it's part of the DNA.

I like your vision, but we would have to move grounds for a season, and unlike Sperms and The Aymers, there are no obvious loations for temporary accommodation.

I remember a game against Bradford in PL when Gareth Southgate scored at the height of his disaffection with club, and the ongoing building works meant you could see vast swathes of north Birmingham and beyond.
And another thing about VP. I agree with the other poster that all metal cladding should be removed. We aren't an effing Homebase. All of it should be brick and glorious mosaic detail. And in the corners 4 ruddy great brick towers like castle towers, a true fortress, holding catering, club offices, museum and something else I can't think of. I don't want a modernist masterpiece I want something that has teleported from 1895 built by a megalomaniac who wanted to say this is Aston Villa, you are entering the largest most frightening stadium you will ever lace your boots in.

Teleportation wasn’t invented until 1896.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 08:09:14 AM »

http://www.playedinbritain.co.uk/pdf/engineering-archie-140-141.pdf

Gradually, with Frederick Rinder's guidance, the ground was completely overhauled. Much of the credit for the actual design of Villa Park must to go Rinder, who had visualised its eventual appearance from a number of sketches he had made himself and passed on to a well-established architect of the day, E B Holmes.

Rinder's structural ideas originally called for a ground that would hold 130,000 people and, but for the outbreak of World War One, the Villa chairman's ambition would no doubt have been realised, with the creation of the finest stadium in Great Britain. With his plans put on hold during the war, work on Rinder's vision continued in 1918, although his ambitious pre-war schemes were only ever partially developed.

http://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/astonvilla/a_villa_vp.htm
i love this image, it’s brilliant. Imagine being in a packed 130k crowd at VP every other week watching the best side in the country. On the flip side though, imagine being there in a crowd of 30,000 most weeks, watching shite football. Brings to mind that Jasper carrot sketch where he was going on about being at the Sty- and I said to the bloke standing next to me: Oiiiiiiiiii!

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 12:28:19 AM »
I'd quite like a horseshoe up to a huge single tiered Holte.
This I think is the ultimate club vision with the Holte being a massive steep rake single tier stand

Online KRS

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 08:37:08 PM »
I doubt it would happen any time soon, but I presume if there was ever to be a large scale revamp of Villa Park then the new Alexander Stadium could potentially be used for a season (apparently it will hold 40,000).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 12:21:49 AM »

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
I must say walking to the game yesterday I was disgusted at the state of Aston. Rubbish and litter everywhere, some of it in stinking piles. I know the council aren’t helping at the moment but the local community do have to take some responsibility. Absolutely appalling and doesn’t help the over all image for people visiting Villa Park.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
I must say walking to the game yesterday I was disgusted at the state of Aston. Rubbish and litter everywhere, some of it in stinking piles. I know the council aren’t helping at the moment but the local community do have to take some responsibility. Absolutely appalling and doesn’t help the over all image for people visiting Villa Park.

We thought the same, it was awful. Lovely soiled mattress just around the corner from VP to greet visitors.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
It’s been like that for the last few years. Bevington and Whitehead roads are disgusting.

Online KRS

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »
The walk in from Star City is also full of litter and discarded rubbish. Disgusting.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
Birmingham as a city has a huge litter and refuse issue.  It pains me to say it, but it's in a revolting mess right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal