collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by olaftab
[Today at 03:49:33 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:37:40 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 03:32:08 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho good enough to play for England?  (Read 9098 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Are Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho good enough to play for England?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 01:58:46 AM »
Jack is good enough for sure but he’s played 4 games in nearly 4 months.

Even with my Villa specs firmly on this is still the correct answer.
And Hudson-Odoi has played two games about 2 years.

Offline KRS

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 04:53:21 AM »
There is no doubt that Jack has the talent to play for England, however...

Hudson-Odoi is a striker which has limited options for England. Jack plays in midfield where there are numerous options for Southgate.

We also have to also if Jack would suit the style of play and fit in automatically or would Southgate need to change the style of play to accommodate him?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »
Jordan Sancho is very good enough to play for England.
If Grealish had to leave he should go to Munich or Dortmund.
Dele Ali and Ross Barkley would have been positions Grealish play for England v Czech.
Dele Ali likes to get beyond( like lingard ) Ross Barkley would be the comparable for his role yesterday . Squad wise look at Ward-Prowse like an English Conor Hourihane doesn't have much in his locker apart from ball striking I certainly have Grealish in squad ahead of him .
Ward prowse is a Southgate man and Gareth knows him and worked with him at under 21 so trusts him. Likes to honor those who are performing so fair do to him .
Even if Grealish was in the squad pitch time at this moment  though would be limiting .
However in answer to question  I say yes he is good enough to play for England .
And would be good enough in qualifications against top opposition like a lot of England players we have to wait and see on that .
Think next couple of years are big for him for 2020 is a target .
Tom Carrol and Ward-Prowse are same age I believe and were under 21s in 2013 .
Grealish at 26 needs to be higher level than either and I think has capability to do so - that being champions league club and squad or being top performer with villa in a challenging and competitive Aston villa in prem by 2020

Offline TonyD

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 05:40:29 PM »
Jack is 23.

Offline enigma

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
Hudson-Odoi is a striker which has limited options for England. Jack plays in midfield where there are numerous options for Southgate.
Hudson Odoi is a winger.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 07:51:00 PM »
Jack is 23.

What I mean is when he's 26 !! Obviously !

And that ward prowse and Carroll are 26 and look at them ! Neither top end !
But Grealish at that age has capability and be showing then how good he is

Offline KRS

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 01:56:42 AM »
Hudson Odoi is a winger.
Fair enough. I don't think many of us have seen enough of him to know where he plays or his best position...yet he's been selected for England. From what I have seen of him though, I think he has the makings of a good centre forward.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »
I think the Odoi and Rice sub appearances were more about locking them into England. Odoi had been linked with an African nation, not anymore.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »
Baring injury ive absolutely no doubts anymore that Jack will be an England regular and a top Premier League player at 26. Just not sure it’ll be with us.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
Cheers Gareth!

Gareth Southgate says Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish must be playing in the Premier League before he can be considered for an England call-up.

Grealish switched allegiances from the Republic of Ireland to England in 2015, and has won seven caps for England U21s.

However, he has not made the step up into the senior side and last played in the Premier League in 2016, when Villa were relegated to the Championship.

Grealish has been in good form for Villa since returning from injury earlier this month, but Southgate said: "Jack worked with us in the U21s briefly.

"Although we can see the quality, when the evidence of the opponent is a different level, that's where it's hard to directly correlate what that's going to look like at a level above.

"With Callum [Hudson-Odoi], he's playing Europa League, he's playing Premier League - that does make a difference.

"I'm not going to say we won't pick a player from the Championship because that could happen but it's far more difficult to assess his level.

Grealish has two goals in seven games for England U21s

"You see certain parts of the game but not others [in the Championship]. Not the physicality at times, nor the tactical discipline. That's another level in the Premier League - the speed, the pace.

"He's a player we know all about, he's a player we track, but that last bit of evidence that could give you confidence to pick him at the moment we won't see.

"But as an ex-Villa man I hope it's not too long before we do see it."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11674073/gareth-southgate-says-jack-grealish-must-play-in-the-premier-league-to-earn-england-call-up

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »
Cheers Gareth!

Gareth Southgate says Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish must be playing in the Premier League before he can be considered for an England call-up.

Grealish switched allegiances from the Republic of Ireland to England in 2015, and has won seven caps for England U21s.

However, he has not made the step up into the senior side and last played in the Premier League in 2016, when Villa were relegated to the Championship.

Grealish has been in good form for Villa since returning from injury earlier this month, but Southgate said: "Jack worked with us in the U21s briefly.

"Although we can see the quality, when the evidence of the opponent is a different level, that's where it's hard to directly correlate what that's going to look like at a level above.

"With Callum [Hudson-Odoi], he's playing Europa League, he's playing Premier League - that does make a difference.

"I'm not going to say we won't pick a player from the Championship because that could happen but it's far more difficult to assess his level.

Grealish has two goals in seven games for England U21s

"You see certain parts of the game but not others [in the Championship]. Not the physicality at times, nor the tactical discipline. That's another level in the Premier League - the speed, the pace.

"He's a player we know all about, he's a player we track, but that last bit of evidence that could give you confidence to pick him at the moment we won't see.

"But as an ex-Villa man I hope it's not too long before we do see it."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11674073/gareth-southgate-says-jack-grealish-must-play-in-the-premier-league-to-earn-england-call-up
That seems entirely reasonable.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »
Seems a good article by Southgate but I genuinely believe QPRs defence is more organised than the Czech Republic’s was the other night.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
Southgate to manage the Villa one day.
I said it in past before his England recognized him . Man is a class act, football intelligence , progressive and a credit to those who identify as English and a true professional.
If any one has any stories or encounters of him personally would love it to be shared on here.
It's very good to see Southgate do so well and I'm sure he has a super respect for villa.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
Southgate to manage the Villa one day.
I said it in past before his England recognized him . Man is a class act, football intelligence , progressive and a credit to those who identify as English and a true professional.
If any one has any stories or encounters of him personally would love it to be shared on here.
It's very good to see Southgate do so well and I'm sure he has a super respect for villa.

I remember one game at Villa Park when he was manager of the Smog Monsters. Surpassed anything perpetrated by Pulis or Bent Fat Sam.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 05:59:42 PM »
They’re debating Jack and England on TS right now. About whether he should have been picked despite playing in the Championship. Some of the Villa fans who are calling in are such bell ends. Instead of making the point that he’s a very different type of player to what England has or discussing his very unique technique or how he opens up the game for others and dictates the pace of the game you’re getting nonsense like he should be in because he’s better than Dele Alli.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal