collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: doug ellis/witton lane stand  (Read 15954 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: doug ellis/witton lane stand
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:20 PM »
Pretty sure it was under Lerner that the Holte facade was done.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »
It was finished under Lerner -  the mosaics and windows were his doing, but the actual structure was there (unfinished) when it was built.

Offline KRS

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »
Pretty sure I remember the old Holte having a new roof fitted and covered in dark panels with red lines?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
Have had my season ticket in the upper witton for best part of 20 years in various seats, currently in P2 in line with the goal line, I love it, great view and on the rare occasion there is a good atmosphere I get the noise from the Holte.  The concourse is rubbish, but the beer and food on offer is equally rubbish
Always wondered why people choose to sit in the corners.  I was there for the Swansea cup game and it's not for me.

Same here. On the other hand, if everybody was the same, it would be much more difficult to sit where I prefer due to supply and demand.

I used to stand at the back of old Holte End in my youth, but moved on to to the middle of the Upper Trinity and then to P6 in the upper Witton Lane where, as other posters have pointed out, the view is excellent but the facilities are crap. I used to go the Lions Club suite at half time for many years, but now I just bring a flask of cognac.

The bogs in the concourse are something to behold, and I am amazed that nobody has broken their arse on the skiddy surfaces. There is more traction on the steepest Malvern Hill after weeks of freezing rain in February.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2019, 09:54:31 PM »
Pretty sure I remember the old Holte having a new roof fitted and covered in dark panels with red lines?

Yes those famous Villa colours of brown and red (cheap).

Offline Roysmert

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
Form memory, Witton Lane was diverted a bit to make more space but we couldn't get all the land we needed due to the ancient lights regulations. The whole thing was built around the existing tier of the old stand, thereby fitting in with the club ethos of the time, namely "How much for cash?" A year or so later it was found to everyone's amazement that new seats on old terrace ruined the sightlines, so the bottom tier had to be relaid, at which point asbestos was found, causing a delay and reducing capacity at the start of 1995-96. Doug being penny wise, pound foolish. Who'da thought it?

What are/were the ancient lights regulations please Dave

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
Would it be "light", rather than "lights"? Had the stand gone even further back and then skywards, it could have placed some Holte & Station Roads properties into sunless shadow during winter months.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
Would it be "light", rather than "lights"? Had the stand gone even further back and then skywards, it could have placed some Holte & Station Roads properties into sunless shadow during winter months.

They could have been attractive residences for noses.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
Form memory, Witton Lane was diverted a bit to make more space but we couldn't get all the land we needed due to the ancient lights regulations. The whole thing was built around the existing tier of the old stand, thereby fitting in with the club ethos of the time, namely "How much for cash?" A year or so later it was found to everyone's amazement that new seats on old terrace ruined the sightlines, so the bottom tier had to be relaid, at which point asbestos was found, causing a delay and reducing capacity at the start of 1995-96. Doug being penny wise, pound foolish. Who'da thought it?

According to a bit of Googling, if a window has enjoyed natural sunlight for twenty years nothing can be built that blocks out the light. It might also have helped if we hadn't been virtually at war with the locals for years.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
With Spuds getting their nearest tube station renamed ahead of the Grand Opening of The Best Stadium in the World, is it time to ask again for Witton station to be renamed Villa Park?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 12:25:55 AM »
Sat in the upper once at a 1-0 against Spurs.  Think Angel scored in first few mins and the rest of the game was shit.  I thought the stand was shit and I haven't sat their since.
its funny you say that- I have a similar story. Sat in the top tier, near the halfway line, great seat, for a night match against Leeds. We got tonked 3 or 4 nil. Only other time I’ve seen us worse at VP was probably the loss against arsenal that called time for one of our managers (can never remember which one - take your pick from Ron, Brian, or JG).

I never went in the Witton Lane ever again after that Leeds match.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »
Let's be honest, the beer, food and service throughout VP is garbage and has been for years.

Have you tried the Balti pies? Perhaps they may change your mind, really tasty
they used to do a great chip batch in the Holte as well. Doused in vinegar it would form the perfect stomach lining.

Cue debate about batch/ cob/ roll correct terminology...😄

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 12:45:54 AM »
Every time I look at the entrance to the current Trinity Road stand there is a pang of sadness. From the outside, even it it was replacing a run of the mill stand, it's terrible, but this is magnified a million times by the quality and uniqueness of what it did replace.

I don't think the entrance looks that bad (compared to North at least). Like the glass facade so when walking up to the Upper tier I can glance and see the fans streaming down Trinity road towards the game. Also looks good at night lit up.

Of course it's no Old Trinity but at the very least you've got the front of the Holte that is a small nod to that. Probably part of the muddled Ellis era thinking but I don't get why the Holte End was rebuilt with the brick front intact (if it was there with the old stand) yet the Trinity was just totally demolished.

As said above Rangers would be very good example of incoporating a new modern stand into old facade.
The old Holte was completely demolished. The exterior at the back was an imposing vertical wall. No turnstiles as they were down the sides on Trinity rd and Witton Lane. I've always thought that the brick facade on the new Holte with its brick built steps and extravagant finishing touches (compared to todays preferred metal cladding) is a nod to the much loved old Trinity rd entrance. Who knows maybe even an ackowledgement from Deadly that he was guilty of wanton vandalism in knocking down such an architectural  gem without consultation to the supporters.
nice sentiment, but the new holte was built prior to the demolition (by several years) of the old trinity. Unless maybe you are suggesting he knew what he was going to do with the trinity rd and compensated in advance with the Holte?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 12:57:34 AM »

According to a bit of Googling, if a window has enjoyed natural sunlight for twenty years nothing can be built that blocks out the light. It might also have helped if we hadn't been virtually at war with the locals for years.
i think that is why those houses were demolished and replaced with the small park. I think the club had to acquire them in order to add the second tier.

Liverpool had a similar issue with their plans for redeveloping anfield, but on a much bigger scale. The locals were fucked around for years by LFC and the club didn’t come out of it in a good light at all.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:00:17 AM by robbo1874 »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »

nice sentiment, but the new holte was built prior to the demolition (by several years) of the old trinity. Unless maybe you are suggesting he knew what he was going to do with the trinity rd and compensated in advance with the Holte?
[/quote]

The Holte was built to complement the Trinity. Which was knocked down five years later.

We built three stands in seven years, none of them with any sort of idea how they would fit in with what we already had or were going to have. It was a total lack of long-term planning that summed up Villa at the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal