collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: doug ellis/witton lane stand  (Read 15962 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: doug ellis/witton lane stand
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 03:18:43 PM »
Witton Upper is fine.The view is great, but the concourse is tight and the food/drink thingys are not very good.

Exactly right - have had season ticket on second row of upper tier for about 12/13 years having previously been in the Holte for many years - love the view where I am but don’t use the food outlets unless there an hour before game & would have to be desperate to use the loo/concourse at half time

Offline andyaston

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
P8 Season ticket holder and its good value for us. The view is excellent and the astmoshphere can be good due to the proximity to the away fans, although for the derby matches you get some idiots in the seats in the next block looking to offer out away fans (some must be on coke the state they are in).

The concourse is a little cramped but compared to the North Stand you can actually swing a cat in there.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 05:21:13 PM »
The arch penny pincher oversaw the Witton Lane project like you would an extension on your house. Although we do have two fantastic stands to thank him for. I've never understood how we ended up with the situation where the Holte meets the Doug at totally different angles resulting in a load of seats in the Holte that can't be sold. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
Because Doug buggered up the rebuild... i think they lost a few hundred seats too.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »
The arch penny pincher oversaw the Witton Lane project like you would an extension on your house.

Funnily enough I remember seeing extension work being done at his house in Sutton around the same time by the same contractors. I'm sure everything was done absolutely correctly in terms of seperate invoicing for each project. 

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 08:13:34 AM »
When we are all conquering the Prem and Europe once again, I'd like to see the Witton rebuilt along with the equally dreadful North Stand.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »
Sat in the upper once at a 1-0 against Spurs.  Think Angel scored in first few mins and the rest of the game was shit.  I thought the stand was shit and I haven't sat their since.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 08:43:39 AM »
If we're promoted and if we stay up, the North will go.

Two big ifs. Although the former has shrunk somewhat in recent weeks.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 08:56:45 AM »
Have had my season ticket in the upper witton for best part of 20 years in various seats, currently in P2 in line with the goal line, I love it, great view and on the rare occasion there is a good atmosphere I get the noise from the Holte.  The concourse is rubbish, but the beer and food on offer is equally rubbish

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
Let's be honest, the beer, food and service throughout VP is garbage and has been for years.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 12:47:49 PM »
Let's be honest, the beer, food and service throughout VP is garbage and has been for years.

Have you tried the Balti pies? Perhaps they may change your mind, really tasty

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 02:51:34 PM »
Have had my season ticket in the upper witton for best part of 20 years in various seats, currently in P2 in line with the goal line, I love it, great view and on the rare occasion there is a good atmosphere I get the noise from the Holte.  The concourse is rubbish, but the beer and food on offer is equally rubbish
Always wondered why people choose to sit in the corners.  I was there for the Swansea cup game and it's not for me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »
Every time I look at the entrance to the current Trinity Road stand there is a pang of sadness. From the outside, even it it was replacing a run of the mill stand, it's terrible, but this is magnified a million times by the quality and uniqueness of what it did replace.

I don't think the entrance looks that bad (compared to North at least). Like the glass facade so when walking up to the Upper tier I can glance and see the fans streaming down Trinity road towards the game. Also looks good at night lit up.

Of course it's no Old Trinity but at the very least you've got the front of the Holte that is a small nod to that. Probably part of the muddled Ellis era thinking but I don't get why the Holte End was rebuilt with the brick front intact (if it was there with the old stand) yet the Trinity was just totally demolished.

As said above Rangers would be very good example of incoporating a new modern stand into old facade.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:22:08 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
The Holte was demolished, the facade was added a decade or so ago.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 09:21:33 PM »
Every time I look at the entrance to the current Trinity Road stand there is a pang of sadness. From the outside, even it it was replacing a run of the mill stand, it's terrible, but this is magnified a million times by the quality and uniqueness of what it did replace.

I don't think the entrance looks that bad (compared to North at least). Like the glass facade so when walking up to the Upper tier I can glance and see the fans streaming down Trinity road towards the game. Also looks good at night lit up.

Of course it's no Old Trinity but at the very least you've got the front of the Holte that is a small nod to that. Probably part of the muddled Ellis era thinking but I don't get why the Holte End was rebuilt with the brick front intact (if it was there with the old stand) yet the Trinity was just totally demolished.

As said above Rangers would be very good example of incoporating a new modern stand into old facade.
The old Holte was completely demolished. The exterior at the back was an imposing vertical wall. No turnstiles as they were down the sides on Trinity rd and Witton Lane. I've always thought that the brick facade on the new Holte with its brick built steps and extravagant finishing touches (compared to todays preferred metal cladding) is a nod to the much loved old Trinity rd entrance. Who knows maybe even an ackowledgement from Deadly that he was guilty of wanton vandalism in knocking down such an architectural  gem without consultation to the supporters.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal