collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your first Villa v SHA game  (Read 13022 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Your first Villa v SHA game
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »
They don't do anything for Red Nose Day. When it comes to comedy they have contributed plenty of it over the years and when it comes to giving and sharing they have given or shared loads of points with the Villa since 2005.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2019, 01:52:37 AM »
They don't do anything for Red Nose Day. When it comes to comedy they have contributed plenty of it over the years and when it comes to giving and sharing they have given or shared loads of points with the Villa since 2005.

I guess they have to make up for Jasper Carrott somehow.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2019, 08:50:13 PM »
December 1980

Villa 3 Blues 0

"Merry Christmas Birmingham"
"Meeerrry Christ-mas Bir-mingham!"

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 11:26:31 PM »
VP 1977 Bertschin for them
Sty 1978 Francis for them

Thankfully things improved after that !

I do remember that first Sty visit and thinking WTF seeing that wasteland full of rubble behind the Tilton. My Dad insisted on leaving early so we could make a quick getaway down the Cov Road !

Offline ez

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 07:46:49 PM »
At the sty. 1-0 to us. Andy Gray scored it. 1978 and I think the first time we beat them for a while.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 08:55:27 PM »
2-1 1975, though don't remember much about the game.

The first I really remember is the 1-0 away defeat to a Trevor Francis goal in 1979 when Montgomery almost single handedly won the game.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 06:44:54 AM »
The Christmas 1982 debacle at the Sty, we were in the Railway End.  Horrible. 

First win was a few months later at VP, Gary Shaw I think.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »

Those two games were the second and third Villa/Small Heath games I attended. The atmosphere at the sty was toxic. Blake was getting pelters and "Villa reject" shouted at him and then he scored one of their goals. I remember the Evening Mail showing a picture of him flicking the V sign to the Villa fans after his goal with the headline 'Rejects revenge'. The only thing I recall of the return game at Villa Park is that Gary Shaw's winning goal came late on in the game. The last ten minutes I think.

Offline ez

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »

Was the Christmas one 3-0 to them? 3 is the most I've seen them put past us. Meanwhile Ive seen us put 6 past them, 5 a couple of times and a 4.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »

Was the Christmas one 3-0 to them? 3 is the most I've seen them put past us. Meanwhile Ive seen us put 6 past them, 5 a couple of times and a 4.

Yup, the Boxing Day defeat was 3-0.

I think Gary Shaw's winner a few months later was on Easter Monday. Imagine that fixture being played on a bank holiday now?!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2019, 04:38:56 PM »
Unless there is a friendly which I've forgotten, the first was the Paul Tait/Dean Saunders game. I also saw a few reserve/youth type matches against them. We lost more of those than we won, as I recall.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2019, 12:05:34 AM »
The turning point of the 3-0 was when Villa 'equalised' when Withe headed in Walters's cross, only for the ref to disallow the goal for a foul -on Walters!!

Yes, even then...

Offline john2710

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »
2-1 home win in 1975. I've watched the highlights on Youtube. Some of the challenges make you wince.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
It wasn't my first game against them and it wasn't even the first time I had seen us play them at the sty but I remember going there for a Birmingham Senior Cup final around 1983. It was on the same day as the Charity Shield at Wembley I think and a week before the season kicked off. There was a big crowd for a 'friendly' but obviously not as many as for a league game. I recall both clubs fielded their strongest teams.  All I can remember other than that is that it was a hot day and Ian Handysides scored the only goal of the game.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:03:12 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »
It wasn't my first game against them and it wasn't even the first time I had seen us play them at the sty but I remember going there for a Birmingham Senior Cup final around 1983. It was on the same day as the Charity Shield at Wembley I think and a week before the season kicked off. There was a big crowd for a 'friendly' but obviously not as many as for a league game. I recall both clubs fielded their strongest teams.  All I can remember other than that is that it was a hot day and Ian Handysides scored the only goal of the game.

Damo, I was thrown out that day and told I would be charged wi5 threatening words and behaviour. I think I was doing the Howard Gayle, what a wanker thing with hand gestures. The police were picking people off one by one but I was too righteous and stubborn to move. When I got outside there must have been about 200 of us who’d been thrown out. I recall a spicy march back to town after the game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal