collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your first Villa v SHA game  (Read 13029 times)

Offline St AustellAVFC

Re: Your first Villa v SHA game
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
1 - 0 home win in the cup Deano scoring. I was pretty young and don’t remember much of the game, in fact all I remember from the night was the goal and celebrating wildly. My Mom and I took up our normal season ticket seats in the back row lower Witton Lane in the block right next to that lot from what I can remember but don’t recall any trouble.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 03:17:22 PM »
Bloody hell, that 0-3 was mine too. My friend had got us tickets in the Upper Trinity. An awful game. I think that's the first time I've ever seen the highlights, I'd forgotten how shambolic our defending was for the goals.

Offline St AustellAVFC

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
My first at the sty was a pre season friendly and ended 0-0. I’m sure Savo was playing and missed a sitter. We were just stunned at how shit the stadium and facilities were. I also remember the Villa fans hid the match ball during play and was held up for a while as they couldn’t find another one.
“One ball, you’ve only got one ball”

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
Sept 1968; Small Heath 4, Villa 0.

It was 0-0 after an hour.

That was my first visit there age 11. Sat with my Dad in the stand on the side which is still there to this day. I'd been to a few aways by then..Deepdale, Anfield, Maine Road, Baseball Ground, Burnden Park, Bloomfield Road.  I can honestly say even then I was struck by what a run down nasty ramshackle shit hole it was compared with any other ground I had been to.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »
This abomination

I was 11 and it was the first time I'd ever seen people I didn't know extremely angry up close.  My Dad wasn't best pleased either. 

Have they ever scored a goal against us that wasn't either scrappy as fuck or a glaring error from one of our own?

Actually, their 2nd against us earlier in the season is about the best I've seen.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:56:22 PM by LeeB »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 10:37:21 PM »
This abomination

I was 11 and it was the first time I'd ever seen people I didn't know extremely angry up close.  My Dad wasn't best pleased either. 

Have they ever scored a goal against us that wasn't either scrappy as fuck or a glaring error from one of our own?

Actually, their 2nd against us earlier in the season is about the best I've seen.

I didn't even know there was TV footage of that game. I certainly can't recall seeing it before. I was at the match but apart from that I don't think I have ever seen the goals.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »
League Championship season at home.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »
This abomination

Especially in comparison with some of our goals v them, their efforts looks decidedly shit.

I never knew that clip existed until this thread was started.  I don't know if that's a good thing...

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »
St Andrews 1969, end of season that we were relegated into the third division, we went there and battered them 2-0 with a 25 yard thunderbolt from Bruce Rioch and another from Pat McMahon.
We played in our yellow shirts and blue shorts kit and I remember standing on the Cattell Road side of the ground, amongst Blues and Villa fans in the pouring rain, which hardly ebated throughout the match, cascading off the top of the corrugated iron stand and soaking all underneath.
The toilets at the back of the stand were flooded, sending torrents down the delapadated terracing.
This, I think, was the first appearance of the Villa chant of "What a fecking p*sshole", that continues to this day and gets an airing from all who suffer the facilities at the Sty.
Villa were awful but probably turned in their best performance that year, Blues were also down near the bottom but just survived the drop.
I had to wait awhile before we played them again.
I do hate this fixture.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
Same game as you Oscar. I can remember a shocking crush to get in with so many Villa fans going.
Fantastic goal by Rioch I recall, celebrated by a large group of Villa fans behind the goal in the Tilton.
Much scrapping ensued which was fascinating to a 9 year old. I can see why I wasn't allowed to go to a Derby before that.

Don't go up the Cattell road, cos you'll get foot and mouth!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
In light of last Sunday's events up there.  I went to that game in 1969 with my then next door neighbours, father and three sons; every one of them Noses and all good men.  We stood on the Kop me being Villa and all around me Blues.  I shouted and roared for the Villa and was as happy as a dog with two cocks when we won and never, in the entire time I was in there felt in the slightest bit threatened and never had in the many, many times I'd been in there.  I think it was only in the early seventies did it start to become menacing and we all began to herd together in numbers for safety.  That's how I remember it anyway.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
My first visit there was when we beat them 1-2 in our Championship winning season with Sid scoring a penalty and Allan Evans getting the winner. I was nine and maybe it was due to my youth and naivety but I don't recall any tension or nastiness. My second visit there was Boxing Day 1982 and as a twelve year old I was old enough to comprehend how toxic the atmosphere was that day.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:12:34 PM by Damo70 »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2019, 11:32:57 PM »
Saunders testimonial the season before

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
The first derby I attended was at Villa Park around 1969. All I remember was that it finished 0-0, Blues played in an all white kit, Tony Hateley played up front for them and I was still at primary school.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
My one and only time was Villa Park 2010, the Milner penalty.

Though I did go to the Sty for a charity match around 2004 or 2005. Small Heath were about 8-0 up against a charity XI when I made the mistake of laughing and clapping sportingly when Darren from The Royle Family scored a consolation for the Celebrities and went rolling around with no shirt on to celebrate.

I was then promptly asked to leave by a steward.

As I was marched out I had drinks thrown at me, and was shoved and called a 'pikey Villa ******' by a different steward who must've been in his 50s (I was about 15).

It was nice to see they take no days off from their hatred of us. God knows what they do for red nose day, a charity effigy-burning perhaps.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal