Heroes & Villains > Villa Memories

We're gonna win the lot

(1/3) > >>

castlefields_villan:
42 years ago today :

Beat Port Vale 3-0 - we were already in the League Cup Final and with a game or two in hand (as I remember) nicely placed to still mount a challenge for the League Title (the old 1st Division) and this 5th Round win put us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup - I can still recall us singing (and thoroughly believing) "and now you're gonna believe us - we're gonna win the lot."

What a season that was - as a 19 year old, at the time, unforgettable.

West Derby Villan:

--- Quote from: castlefields_villan on February 26, 2019, 04:16:46 PM ---42 years ago today :

Beat Port Vale 3-0 - we were already in the League Cup Final and with a game or two in hand (as I remember) nicely placed to still mount a challenge for the League Title (the old 1st Division) and this 5th Round win put us into the quarter finals of the FA Cup - I can still recall us singing (and thoroughly believing) "and now you're gonna believe us - we're gonna win the lot."

What a season that was - as a 19 year old, at the time, unforgettable.

--- End quote ---

Yeah agree, best Villa team I've seen in my lifetime. We failed because of the weather, causing too many rearranged games and of course the League Cup semi final and final replays

Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air:
Similar scenario in 1996. After the Franz Carr FA Cup win at Forest we still had a mathematical chance of the domestic treble. We won the League Cup easily beating Dirty Leeds, a week later Fowler did for us in the boycotted semi at Old Trafford and Manure ran away with the League as we fell away but still finished in what was overall a very respectable 4th place.     

Pat McMahon:

--- Quote from: Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air on February 26, 2019, 10:25:38 PM ---Similar scenario in 1996. After the Franz Carr FA Cup win at Forest we still had a mathematical chance of the domestic treble. We won the League Cup easily beating Dirty Leeds, a week later Fowler did for us in the boycotted semi at Old Trafford and Manure ran away with the League as we fell away but still finished in what was overall a very respectable 4th place.     

--- End quote ---

Why boycotted? Did it not sell out?

PeterWithesShin:
Tickets were really expensive, so wasn't an official boycott, a lot people just decided not to buy them because of the price. Despite being our first semi-final in decades we had probably the best part of 10K unsold, as did Liverpool. Don't think United or Chelsea sold out theirs either for the other semi at VP. We had the added thing as well of it being expensive a week after Wembley.

And the Stretford End was shit, and we had the joy of a racist Liverpool fan in a box behind us abusing one of our Asian mates, although he wasn't so mouthy when the Old Bill were in there. IIRC he got done in court for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version