collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Coventry City - Possible Explusion  (Read 12379 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Coventry City - Possible Explusion
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
They and Bristol city should have been relegated in 1976 when the two of fiddled a 2-2 draw to send Sunderland down

Online Damo70

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Coventry%20City/
It seems we were unbeaten against them for 42 years between January 1946 and November 1988. That isn't as impressive when you consider we only played the 3 times in the FA Cup up to 1975 though.

I have just watched the goals from that November 1988 game on Youtube. Even after seeing the footage it didn't jog my memory even though I was almost certainly at the game. I remember being at the Boxing Day 3-0 defeat in 1992 (I was talking to Mick Quinn about it once and credited him with a hat-trick and he corrected me and pointed out he only scored two and Robert Rosario got the other). I also remember a 2-0 defeat there in 1990 around the time our title challenge started to falter. We were sitting in the Coventry seats as a friend of a friend had got us some complimentary tickets from Greg Downs.

Offline St AustellAVFC

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Coventry%20City/
It seems we were unbeaten against them for 42 years between January 1946 and November 1988. That isn't as impressive when you consider we only played the 3 times in the FA Cup up to 1975 though.

I have just watched the goals from that November 1988 game on Youtube. Even after seeing the footage it didn't jog my memory even though I was almost certainly at the game. I remember being at the Boxing Day 3-0 defeat in 1992 (I was talking to Mick Quinn about it once and credited him with a hat-trick and he corrected me and pointed out he only scored two and Robert Rosario got the other). I also remember a 2-0 defeat there in 1990 around the time our title challenge started to falter. We were sitting in the Coventry seats as a friend of a friend had got us some complimentary tickets from Greg Downs.

I was in with the Cov fans at that 3-0 game, wasn’t it Boxing Day? I also thought Quinn got all 3.

Online Damo70

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »

I was in with the Cov fans at that 3-0 game, wasn’t it Boxing Day? I also thought Quinn got all 3.

It was Boxing Day and if I remember right it was a lunchtime kick off. I remember a car load of us ended up at The Clock pub near the airport after the game. You have quite a lot of time to drown your sorrows after a lunchtime kick off defeat. Plus it was Christmas.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »
I remember that Boxing day game,Villa just never turned up.On the way home it was thick fog all the way home,pity it came to late

Online Damo70

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2019, 08:54:02 AM »
I remember that Boxing day game,Villa just never turned up.On the way home it was thick fog all the way home,pity it came to late

I can only remember God having three bad games in a Villa shirt. The Beelzebub hat-trick game, the 3-0 home defeat to Wimbledon in 1990 and the Boxing Day game at Highfield Road. If I remember correctly he admitted in his autobiography that his preparation for the QPR and Coventry games was not ideal and he wasn't really in the right condition to play.

Coventry and Small Heath fans are having a real love in at the moment. No prizes for guessing their shared hatred of The Villa plays a big part in their romance.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Coventry City Football Club and the University of Warwick are delighted to announce that they have commenced planning for a partnership, which would see the University provide land to the Club for the development of a new stadium, thereby creating a new home for the Football Club with easy access for fans living in the City of Coventry.

Whilst an exact site has yet to be agreed, its proximity would be on the agricultural field area of the University of Warwick land on its main campus at the southwest edge of Coventry.

The Club will own and be entirely responsible for the cost of the stadium and its operation; equally, the Club will receive all stadium revenues it generates.

Both the University and the Club are committed to a visionary, environmentally friendly stadium in terms of materials, energy, noise, building and of course access.

We envision supporters arriving at the stadium through a new light rail station at the ground running alongside a new link road.

This will require significant discussion and partnership work with all surrounding local authorities, the West Midlands Combined Local Authority and the LEP to ensure the funding and support is there to provide that infrastructure.

The Club and the University wanted to make people aware of this exciting new development as soon as possible and hope that in doing so, it will pave the way to many discussions needed with a range of partners to progress this project. 

The Club and the University do not expect to issue any further joint statements on this initiative until there is significant news that we can share.

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
Light rail station will almost definitely never get built

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2020, 07:11:00 PM »

I don't know, the one at the Ricoh has been such a roaring success...

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »

I don't know, the one at the Ricoh has been such a roaring success...

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
They will reduce emissions at the stadium by having hardly any fans there.

Online Damo70

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »
Are they planning to build a new stadium every fifteen years or so?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2020, 01:24:03 PM »
Are they planning to build a new stadium every fifteen years or so?

The reverse Hermit crabs of football, they shed their stadiums for one's that are smaller.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
Don't know if any of you know the area, but space is tight there and there would need to be an enormous spend on infrastructure. There's no way the current road structure could cope with a lot of cars, despite the pie in the sky light rail idea (where would it terminate and stop on the way? It's all residential around there). At a time when unis have no money, Cov being a Labour city and CCFC being skint, I can't see where the money or political will would come from for this.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2020, 08:13:48 AM »
Isn’t there existing public transport provision to get the students there?

Seems really daft building another stadium in a small city that doesn’t need one. You’d think some heads need banging together.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal