collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why have we not been more successful in bringing through our academy - for us?  (Read 9419 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
The irony is that if we had Albrighton, Bannan, Hogg, Johnson and Robinson as our midfield 5 now behind Tammy we'd probably be top 2.

Should always put buy-backs in. although only 3 of them haven't moved since we let them go.

How many of them are any good and how many only look decent because we've got so bad? Of all the kids we've let go in the past ten-fifteen years I can only think of about three who have really bettered themselves. Cahill was a stupid mistake by the manager, Hogg never looked like making it here and the Albrighton who played for us was nowhere near the one who plays for Leicester.

Offline dcdavecollett

When MA was here, he had a string of injuries -and he was STILL better than Tonev!!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Southampton would be best in recent years, Bale + all those they've sold to Liverpool.

Offline adrenachrome

Southampton would be best in recent years, Bale + all those they've sold to Liverpool.

Hard to argue with that. Walcott and Bale both made their first team debuts aged 16.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
A good piece that throws up interesting discussion- a lot has been said about not sending players out early enough in their careers like Jack had at Notts County. I agree with that sentiment and always wonder why we don’t ’ send them more locally so we can go and watch them ? Walsall spring to mind with both clubs seeming well connected. I think the biggest failing though of our youth system has been letting the best local talent slip through our net so that’s more scouting to get the best material to start with: Nathan Redmond, Demari Gray, Daniel Strurridge spring to mind straight away and I find myself looking across to Sty Andrews in envy ( not something you say very often obviously) at the likes of Che Adams who I wish we had in our squad. I think I’d read under the Randy / Fox years we’d disbanded most of our under 16’s  scouting network, does anyone know what the current state of play is ?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
They signed Che Adams from Sheff United when he was 20.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
They signed Che Adams from Sheff United when he was 20.
I know, but he’s from Birmingham, how did he end up at Sheffield Utd ?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Pretty sure he's from Leicester.

Offline TB

• GM : 08.06.2024
He apparently played for Leicester-based St Andrews in his teens before he signed for Sheffield United.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
The irony is that if we had Albrighton, Bannan, Hogg, Johnson and Robinson as our midfield 5 now behind Tammy we'd probably be top 2.

Should always put buy-backs in. although only 3 of them haven't moved since we let them go.

How many of them are any good and how many only look decent because we've got so bad? Of all the kids we've let go in the past ten-fifteen years I can only think of about three who have really bettered themselves. Cahill was a stupid mistake by the manager, Hogg never looked like making it here and the Albrighton who played for us was nowhere near the one who plays for Leicester.

I agree that they didn't go on to better themselves - but what club does let a young player go on their terms who goes on to better himself?

Albrighton made an instant impact after leaving. Hogg and Bannan had contributed well to the first team and then were just dropped and let go. Baker was sold to raise funds but should have stayed.

Players to develop at different rates, Lingard is a prime example - playing Championship until he was 22. 3 of the 6 I've mentioned were good enough to play for us at the time we let them go IMO - Albrighton, Baker and Hogg. Bannan we should have extended and loaned. Robinson and Johnson should have had a buy-back.

I like Johnson but he's very Championship, but I can see Baker, Bannan and Robinson playing top flight soon.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
I can't.

Online Chico Hamilton III

For many years, Crewe were considered to be the most the successful and supplied many players to higher league clubs. After that I remember Middlesboro and Leeds being mentioned quite a lot, along with ourselves.

I remember SirAlex exclaiming "why do we need a youth team?" after we had beaten them in the semi final of the FAYC. This was around the time of the change in the number of substitutes allowed in the PL, and he was asking why can't we have eleven or more, the reserve league is a waste of time.

Interestingly, Brentford disbanded their academy setup in 2016 and made a decent case for so doing.
Club statement: Brentford Academy restructuring

I always thought that West Ham and Southampton were the best examples of bringing their youth players through to the first team. That was probably 20 years ago though so no longer true.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Interesting read.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
He apparently played for Leicester-based St Andrews in his teens before he signed for Sheffield United.

He was at Ilkeston Town and Sheffield United scouted him.

Offline TB

• GM : 08.06.2024

He was at Ilkeston Town and Sheffield United scouted him.

True as well. I should have been more precise. He played for St Andrews in his teens - sometime before he signed for Sheffield United. (And he then played for Oadby Town before he moved to Ilkeston.)

My earlier post was just a comment on the fact that someone having earlier played for an actual club named St Andrews ended up playing at the sty.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal