collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shambolic Aston Villa vs Smethwick Post-Match Thread  (Read 45655 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Shambolic Aston Villa vs Smethwick Post-Match Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
He looks a bit of a broken man already.

He does need to be given time to sort things out, but if he doesn't sort things out, he should be sacked.

He certainly shouldn't be given as long as the bad managers of our past were given, and if there are better candidates out there, they should be brought in instead.

I think, deep down, he'll be ok. I hope so anyway.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
I don’t see how you can make that distinction when everything we have tried has failed in recent years. I think this time we are doing things differently due to the structure put in place by the new owners. This is their first managerial appointment and they are naturally going to give him time to deliver on their vision.

Look lets be clear, I want things to turn around and was pleased when we appointed Smith. However if this form does not pick up before the end of the season then he should not get the start of next season. The form is abject and there are no signs of the football improving, no sign of the coaching making a difference, no sign of any tactical acumen. The transfer business also looks questionable although under this new structure we also have to point at 'Suso' for that.
Can't argue about our form. The change since the Baggies away is baffling and shocking. However I don't agree about the transfer window. It was nothing but a trolley dash to try to shore up the shambles of a defence left by Steve Bruce. They have not had a proper chance to overhaul the squad yet so I think people should give Smith & co the opportunity to do so before being too critical.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »
The transfer window was by and large shit. The biggest problem, midfield, we got a guy to keep our physios busy.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2019, 11:18:57 PM »
The transfer window was by and large shit. The biggest problem, midfield, we got a guy to keep our physios busy.
??
Biggest problem by far was left side of defence and that was sorted!!

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #319 on: February 20, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
Midfield is everything.  It makes a side function.  It assists and facilitates the attack while bolstering the defensive line. When was the last time we had a midfield unit to be proud of? Defensive duties become markedly easier with decent screening.  Scott Hogan was made to look like Paolo Rossi thanks to decent service.  The snake, Miliner and Gaz Baz are still like demi gods. High time we recognised the real issue we have.  Jack and John is a start but we need a couple more.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:42 PM »
Our keeper looked crap for the first goal. He really doesn't seem the most agile.
Bit harsh. I don't think any keeper could of saved that. The angle the ball took when it looped into the net made it almost impossible to save.

seemed to me that he had enough time to sort his feet out, get back and tip it over. The header was struck from a decent distance out.

I agree. He just seemed to jump a bit from his standing position. It was a bit of a freak header though, most times they just go over the bar from that position.

Not sure why he's being blamed for second as that took massive deflection.
Beaten at the near post for the first, a decent keeper keeps that out.
His kicking is shit aswell. Not convinced.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #321 on: February 21, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »
Personally I think the keeper has let some soft goals in, a lot of money for a not very good keeper (at the moment)

Offline The Edge

« Reply #322 on: February 21, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
Our keeper looked crap for the first goal. He really doesn't seem the most agile.
Bit harsh. I don't think any keeper could of saved that. The angle the ball took when it looped into the net made it almost impossible to save.

seemed to me that he had enough time to sort his feet out, get back and tip it over. The header was struck from a decent distance out.

I agree. He just seemed to jump a bit from his standing position. It was a bit of a freak header though, most times they just go over the bar from that position.

Beaten at the near post? No he wasn't. The header was way out of range for him to come for. If anything the defender could have done better. The ball looped wildly in the air and dropped at the far post. I'm not convinced by him myself but for that goal i dont blame him. It's ridiculous to blame him for that one.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #323 on: February 21, 2019, 06:05:09 PM »
It was terrible goalkeeping for the first goal, positioning was awful. He's made some good saves but hasn't looked commanding at all. He's been a slight upgrade on Nyland for me.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2019, 06:24:04 PM »
I thought Nyland was looking better before his injury.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #325 on: February 21, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »
It was terrible goalkeeping for the first goal, positioning was awful. He's made some good saves but hasn't looked commanding at all. He's been a slight upgrade on Nyland for me.
I disagree but its all about opinions. And you know what they say about opinions.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2019, 03:28:42 AM »

Beaten at the near post? No he wasn't. The header was way out of range for him to come for. If anything the defender could have done better. The ball looped wildly in the air and dropped at the far post. I'm not convinced by him myself but for that goal i dont blame him. It's ridiculous to blame him for that one.
You might want to review the tape.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2019, 06:49:06 AM »
The highlights do not show how he stepped forward initially before the ball looped over his head. He misjudged the flight of the ball. Even still, he's had a fair few questionable goals past him since he's been here. I can't imagine there's too many goalies in this league that cost £7m.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »

You might want to review the tape.
I have several times. At full speed. The only place he could have been standing to make a successful save would have been on his line right where the ball dropped in off the cross bar. If the ball went in anywhere else he would have gor pelters from people like yourself along the lines of " why the fuck was he stood on his line towards the far post and leaving the near post completely unprotected"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:52:14 AM by The Edge »

Offline Roysmert

« Reply #329 on: March 03, 2019, 12:05:55 PM »
It's ancient history now but quite why it's acceptable from the mods on here to allow posters to label others 'wankers' on this thread and nothing is done is beyond old me. Some foul abuse just allowed to ride because, I assume, they're 'mates'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal