Heroes & Villains > Villa Memories

Local teams in FA Cup Finals

(1/4) > >>

thick_mike:
Dad has seen Blues (1956), West Brom (1954), Wolves (1949) and Villa (2000) in FA Cup finals.

He used to play for local football teams in Smethwick, and if they got allocated a ticket and nobody wanted it, he would go. The only time he couldn’t get hold of one was for Villa in 1957.

I bet there aren’t many still alive that had seen the big four local teams in finals.

I heard they were making a film of Bert Trautmann’s life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keeper_(2018_film)

Marlon From Bearwood:
Trautman’s autobiography is excellent. Like a book of 2 halves; 1st half WW2 and Nazis. 2nd half playing football in England.

Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air:
I was given a copy of the 1956 FA Cup final Sports Argus. Man City 3 Blues 1. It's a wonderful read.

Damo70:

--- Quote from: Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air on February 14, 2019, 10:42:13 PM ---I was given a copy of the 1956 FA Cup final Sports Argus. Man City 3 Blues 1. It's a wonderful read.

--- End quote ---

You just know that the noses were walking away from that game consoling themselves by saying to each other "At least we got to an FA Cup Final, I bet it will be donkeys years before Villa will manage to do that again".

thick_mike:

--- Quote from: Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air on February 14, 2019, 10:42:13 PM ---I was given a copy of the 1956 FA Cup final Sports Argus. Man City 3 Blues 1. It's a wonderful read.

--- End quote ---

Haha! Dad has the programme tucked away somewhere. As a boy, I thought there was a wonderful symmetry in the two Birmingham clubs playing the two Manchester clubs in successive years in the FA Cup Final...and the correct result in both games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version