collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United Post-Match Thread  (Read 30572 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
OK, so the first half they overran us. But the first 10 to 15 of the second, we were really causing some problems and playing some decent stuff. Then there was what looked like a foul on Kodj on the edge of the area, they go up the other end and score their dubious goal. That knocked the stuffing out of us. Their third deflected off Mings perfectly for Sharp to nod it in; we got no luck with the officials, one very clear penalty claim ignored and another possible. Whelan does what Whelan does and he showed why he often gets picked. he's tidy, doesn't give many balls away, everything that Jedinak was not. Apart from the first 30 minutes I don;t think we were nearly as bad as many on here are claiming. Claret and blue tinted glasses maybe.

Generally, that's how I saw the game.  I thought that we were on for an equaliser before their second as we had got back into a game that looked way beyond us after 30 minutes when they could have been a couple of goals ahead.

There appears to be too many players just going through the motions.  The fullbacks are hopeless going forward on the overlap, which means the wide forwards need to play near the touchline and leave Tammy isolated.  Without the ball our midfield is rubbish and for too long now, our passing has been appalling.  With regards to the last point, why do our players insist on trying to make the harder long pass rather than far simpler short passes.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »
Hutton took the throw-in that led to the equaliser a good 10-15 yards ahead of where he shudda
#justsayin'
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:35:31 PM by eamonn »

Offline achilles

« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2019, 03:32:55 PM »
That was spectacularly awful and then Man United Fergie esq for 15 minutes. We are, utterly, maddeningly, nuts.

The negatives

The midfield.

Jedinak and his distribution was diabolical. His absence of mobility had us so deep. Utter waste of space and the poorest midfield performance from anybody so far. His last game.

Hourihane. Off the ball he's a ghost.

The full backs. Taylor doesn't compete and offers nothing going forwards. For all Hutton's dog chasing a car enthusiasm, he is devoid of quality.

How isolated Tammy was.

Kodjia; ineffectual.

The midfield is a problem, as everybody knows. We let them run further, faster and harder than we did. They moved the ball so much quicker. We've got to get a person at the base of the midfield who can find a pass and find it quickly first and foremost. If you're as slow as we are in transition, then you will lack movement.

The referee. The 2nd goal was a joke, Sharpe a yard offside and kicking it out of Kalinic's hands. The repeated fouls he was awarding them, then nailed on penalties, plural, he missed. The referees down here are disgraceful.

Sheffield United didn't outplay us. They lack quality, they didn't create an awful lot and hoofed it more regularly than we did. What they did do was put in so, so, so much more effort in closing and moving off the ball. It's unforgivable.

The Positives

The centre halves. Looking at the 3rd goal Mings could react quicker. But Jedinak and Hologram give up and Taylor doesn't compete. They're unforgivable errors. But by and large Elphick and Mings look ok to me.

I'd have Hause glued to the treadmill. Get him fit and get him in. Get Taylor gone.

Tammy; 20 goals!

The insanity of being so out of a game, to come back like we did...that's an uncanny quality. It must be a springboard.

Can't argue with any of that, absolutely no passion or desire for 80 minutes, at least Whelan showed willingness to 'get stuck in'.

Offline KRS

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »
The least said about our "performance" the better. Embarrassing, pathetic and unacceptable.

With regards to Sheff Utd, the fact that they would have gone top of the league with a win last night just shows how poor this league is. Whilst we were shockingly bad, they were never 3 goals better than us and I didn't see anything special from them at all in terms of quality, skill or style. Particularly in the second half as we attacked the Holte, what I did see was that they had similar characteristics to Leeds...not the greatest footballers but an organised bunch of relatively unknown workmen like players that communicated with each other, passed to each other, knew what each other were supposed to be doing, and carried out the game plan. Sheff Utd played like a team where as our random bunch of misfits, loans and ageing shite are anything but.

We have far too many players running down lucrative contracts and I don't expect much will improve whilst this squad remains as it is. It will be interesting to see if performances improve once Jack returns, but Smith has a big rebuilding job ahead of him in the summer.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Last night showed the very bad and very good of just what we are capable of. Useless and ineffective, lacking belief and confidence for 75-80 minutes. As bad as we have seen all season. Then in the blink of an eye for 15-20 minutes we became the side we saw for a few weeks that gave us all renewed hope that the future could be beautiful.

Smith’s biggest challenge is finding the in between more often. Boring, bland, rigid, disciplined, structured etc. Knowing when to turn it on, knowing how to close things down. The best teams crush you with a dedication to a system and sticking to the plan. Too often we blow hot and cold and the cold is absolutely awful.

Offline KRS

« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
Another damaging draw...the play off places have a game in hand and are now 6pts above us with 15 games to play.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #246 on: February 09, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
That was spectacularly awful and then Man United Fergie esq for 15 minutes. We are, utterly, maddeningly, nuts.

The negatives

The midfield.

Jedinak and his distribution was diabolical. His absence of mobility had us so deep. Utter waste of space and the poorest midfield performance from anybody so far. His last game.

The full backs. Taylor doesn't compete and offers nothing going forwards. For all Hutton's dog chasing a car enthusiasm, he is devoid of quality.

How isolated Tammy was.

Kodjia; ineffectual.

The midfield is a problem, as everybody knows. We let them run further, faster and harder than we did. They moved the ball so much quicker. We've got to get a person at the base of the midfield who can find a pass and find it quickly first and foremost. If you're as slow as we are in transition, then you will lack movement.

The referee. The 2nd goal was a joke, Sharpe a yard offside and kicking it out of Kalinic's hands. The repeated fouls he was awarding them, then nailed on penalties, plural, he missed. The referees down here are disgraceful.

Sheffield United didn't outplay us. They lack quality, they didn't create an awful lot and hoofed it more regularly than we did. What they did do was put in so, so, so much more effort in closing and moving off the ball. It's unforgivable.

The Positives

The centre halves. Looking at the 3rd goal Mings could react quicker. But Jedinak and Hologram give up and Taylor doesn't compete. They're unforgivable errors. But by and large Elphick and Mings look ok to me.

I'd have Hause glued to the treadmill. Get him fit and get him in. Get Taylor gone.

Tammy; 20 goals!

The insanity of being so out of a game, to come back like we did...that's an uncanny quality. It must be a springboard.

Can't argue with any of that, absolutely no passion or desire for 80 minutes, at least Whelan showed willingness to 'get stuck in'.

Was actually expecting an Ads travel report of his trip back up the M6....

Only thing I'd query is Sheffield were not hoofball at all....they played plenty of quick, sharp passing, got their full backs in play all the time (this was all the stuff we were doing in November/December) and generally when it clicks the football I most enjoy watching.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #247 on: February 09, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »
They lumped it clear a lot out the back.

I think they're very hard working and up and at you, but they're nowhere near the quality on the ball or as impressive as the others in the top 6.

Diversion from 14 to 15 was free moving and then a left down the A500 to come north again. The 16-18 stretch ought to be completed soon. Whoop!

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »

The negatives

The midfield.

How isolated Tammy was.

Kodjia; ineffectual.

The Positives

Tammy; 20 goals!

I watched hourihane jog back to catch up with play ,  he is so insipid
Which is why Ads called him Hologram. Brilliant nickname that. Bravo Ads.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2019, 06:42:11 PM »

How did the officials allow their second goal to stand? They are shockingly bad in this league.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2019, 06:46:01 PM »
Looks like the BBC test card.

Offline LukeJames